• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

Little update from MTR EL.

Ilford, Gidea Park and Shenfield no longer have Hayes to West Drayton for contingency.
Maidenhead no longer have Liverpool Street High Level for contingency.
Quite predictably, this decision has been partially reversed, and Ilford, Gidea Park and Shenfield depots are having Hayes to West Drayton putting back onto licenses for contingency purposes. Should mostly be complete in the next week or so.

Chiltern006

How do Hull Trains’ drivers keep up competency via the MML, I guess they jump in with EMR? Thanks

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How do Hull Trains’ drivers keep up competency via the MML, I guess they jump in with EMR? Thanks
I believe they're route conducted; hence the (operational, unadvertised) stops at Doncaster.

craigybagel

Established Member
Slade green (link dependent), gillingham and faversham plus the highspeed depots sign Gravesend-Strood. Then strood-Rochester (except slade green)
Do Slade Green still sign as far as Strood since they lost their Medway Valley line work?
Quite predictably, this decision has been partially reversed, and Ilford, Gidea Park and Shenfield depots are having Hayes to West Drayton putting back onto licenses for contingency purposes. Should mostly be complete in the next week or so.

Merseyrail needs an update as it still says 508 and they are now (sadly) gone
Thanks, duly updated.

dan4291

Got a quick question regarding Avanti West Coast for drivers that sign to Glasgow. On this thread it lists Glasgow including various diversions around Glasgow. Does anyone have a list of which routes these diversions include for Avanti drivers?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Got a quick question regarding Avanti West Coast for drivers that sign to Glasgow. On this thread it lists Glasgow including various diversions around Glasgow. Does anyone have a list of which routes these diversions include for Avanti drivers?
Uddingston - Law Junction via Holytown
Motherwell - Holytown
Motherwell - Bellshill

Polmadie and Waverley also sign

Central - Newton via Mount Florida
Holytown - Midcalder Junction via the Benhar

When 221s finished up there Edinburgh - Motherwell via Grahamston/Cumbernauld, the Edinburgh Suburban line and the R&C line via Carmyle have all come off route cards (along with Dumfries of course)

Last edited:

dan4291

Motherwell - Holytown
Motherwell - Bellshill

When 221s finished up there Edinburgh - Motherwell via Grangemouth/Cumbernauld, the Edinburgh Suburban line and the R&C line via Carmyle have all come off route cards (along with Dumfries of course)
That's great, thanks.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not sure if this has been said but Penzance GWR has been merged with HSS, all are now TMs. Not sure about any route card changes. Would assume the TMs will remain and the CNDR will hold old and TM stuff until the old stuff lapses.
I'm assuming you mean guards if you're talking about TMs?

Motherwell - Holytown
Motherwell - Bellshill

When 221s finished up there Edinburgh - Motherwell via Grahamston/Cumbernauld, the Edinburgh Suburban line and the R&C line via Carmyle have all come off route cards (along with Dumfries of course)
Thanks for this, I'll try get this updated as soon as I can.

InkyScrolls

Northern: Blackpool North
No longer sign Clitheroe to Hellifield.

Northern: Blackburn
Will shortly begin route-learning Clitheroe to Blea Moor.

craigybagel

Established Member
Motherwell - Holytown
Motherwell - Bellshill

Thanks, have put that in now. I've done a little tidy up of Avanti, but if you or anyone else has the full details of which West Midlands diversions are signed and by which depot, I'd be very grateful. I assume everyone who signs New Street signs Wolves to New Street via Bescot and Soho at the very least, and I would expect Birmingham/Stechford - Aston - Perry Barr as well? I know Wolves used to sign Birmingham to Nuneaton but I wonder if that is still the case and if so, if anyone else signs it?
Northern: Blackpool North
No longer sign Clitheroe to Hellifield.

Northern: Blackburn
Will shortly begin route-learning Clitheroe to Blea Moor.
Thanks, I take it the turf war between Blackpool and Blackburn over that work has been resolved then?

scrapthe503

On Moderation
As I understand, after years of being told their depot work was daft, Hornsey Outer Link is now also signing 717s (and do inner work again), and they also sign for Three Bridges and Peterborough...

WF4HA5HE

As far as i'm aware Grand Central drivers don't sign Leeds station anymore, they come close but when they go Bradford-Wakefield Kirkgate via New pudsey they curve off at Whitehall junction just outside Leeds then around to Engine shed junction and Kirkgate that way and don't go into Leeds station anymore since they stopped running services for Northern between Hebden Bridge and Leeds.

GN Boy

As I understand, after years of being told their depot work was daft, Hornsey Outer Link is now also signing 717s (and do inner work again), and they also sign for Three Bridges and Peterborough...

This is a separate link to the Outer Link, named as the “Fleet Link”.

I don’t even claim to have an ounce of knowledge but I were just reading through and living along the EC I took an interest in what my ‘local’ TOCs signed and where from. Something which just caught my eye is that for LNER it just has 80x however hull has specifically 802. My question is that does each type of 80x have a separate training course? To clarify I am meaning LNER drivers have to do a separate course for the 800 and 801 and hull drivers for the 802 or do they overlap meaning that an LNER driver could just do training on an 800 but drive both 800 and 801. Sorry if I have confused things or if this isn’t the right place but it just caught my eye and were bugging me a bit!

Thanks in advance.

PudseyBearHST

I don’t even claim to have an ounce of knowledge but I were just reading through and living along the EC I took an interest in what my ‘local’ TOCs signed and where from. Something which just caught my eye is that for LNER it just has 80x however hull has specifically 802. My question is that does each type of 80x have a separate training course? To clarify I am meaning LNER drivers have to do a separate course for the 800 and 801 and hull drivers for the 802 or do they overlap meaning that an LNER driver could just do training on an 800 but drive both 800 and 801. Sorry if I have confused things or if this isn’t the right place but it just caught my eye and were bugging me a bit!

Thanks in advance.
For essentially variants of the same traction, it would all be part of the same course. So you would do an 80x course which includes 800 and 801. The manual is also just one 80x manual.

If you transfer to a different company such as LNER to Hull trains, even if it’s the same traction, you may potentially have to do the full course again (traction courses aren’t that long anyway in context of overall training ~ 1-3 weeks depending on traction). Or you may be able to do a Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and do a quicker version of the course plus assessment will always need to be done again.

For essentially variants of the same traction, it would all be part of the same course. So you would do an 80x course which includes 800 and 801. The manual is also just one 80x manual.

If you transfer to a different company such as LNER to Hull trains, even if it’s the same traction, you may potentially have to do the full course again (traction courses aren’t that long anyway in context of overall training ~ 1-3 weeks depending on traction). Or you may be able to do a Training Needs Analysis (TNA) and do a quicker version of the course plus assessment will always need to be done again.
Thanks you for your reply, that does make sense then, I suppose there just isn’t point in doing a different course for things which are so similar.
I were going to ask whether this still applied as the 801 is electric and the 800 bimode, before remembering the 801s had the emergency diesel thing and so the 800 and 801 are even more similar than I thought!

Like I say thanks mate, have a good day!

Edit: sorry another question popped into my head! Would it be down as 80x on a tractions card ( I understand that’s the correct lingo) or would 801 and 800 be separate there?
Sorry for the bombardment and if you don’t know, no sweat but it’s worth asking!

bluesfromagun

New ScotRail depot (drivers and conductors) as of June, at Leven. I don't know what route they'll sign besides the obvious, but other depots learning the Leven branch are Edinburgh (link specific), Dundee (all), and Perth (all).

PudseyBearHST

Thanks you for your reply, that does make sense then, I suppose there just isn’t point in doing a different course for things which are so similar.
I were going to ask whether this still applied as the 801 is electric and the 800 bimode, before remembering the 801s had the emergency diesel thing and so the 800 and 801 are even more similar than I thought!

Like I say thanks mate, have a good day!

Edit: sorry another question popped into my head! Would it be down as 80x on a tractions card ( I understand that’s the correct lingo) or would 801 and 800 be separate there?
Sorry for the bombardment and if you don’t know, no sweat but it’s worth asking!
No problem, thanks.
It may vary by company but I believe it’s usually listed separately. E.g. Class 800, Class 801.