• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Guard Depot, Route and Traction cards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InkyScrolls

At an internal Northern corporate event yesterday I was able to ask the route and traction knowledge for the upcoming Ashington depot.

Routes
Newcastle to Ashington/Morpeth/Carlisle
Newcastle to Middlesbrough via Durham Coast

Traction
156, 158

stadler

@Horizon22 Just wondering if you'd be able to update this thread?
I was going to say it seems like this thread is no longer updated any more these days. I had posted a couple updates a few months back and nothing was updated. Perhaps someone else could take over the updating of this thread if _toommm_ is unable to do it any more. I would even volunteer to do so. It seems like this list has not been updated in about six months. It is a very useful thread (i imagine especially for those looking at working as a Guard and wondering what routes they will work) so it would be a shame for it to fall out of use and stop being updated.

Ladder23

Established Member
I was going to say it seems like this thread is no longer updated any more these days. I had posted a couple updates a few months back and nothing was updated. Perhaps someone else could take over the updating of this thread if _toommm_ is unable to do it any more. I would even volunteer to do so. It seems like this list has not been updated in about six months. It is a very useful thread (i imagine especially for those looking at working as a Guard and wondering what routes they will work) so it would be a shame for it to fall out of use and stop being updated.
Also wondered the same, the forums is monitored and used ever so much with plenty of people happy to help

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
@Horizon22 Just wondering if you'd be able to update this thread?

I will update it in due course, and will reach out to the original user to see if they wish to continue.

We are all volunteers, so any information is reliant on people involved sharing that and time constraints.

Last edited:

InkyScrolls

I will update it in due course, and will reach out to the original user to see if they wish to continue.

We are all volunteers, so any information is reliant on people involved sharing that and time constraints.
Thank you. I realise you're doing this voluntarily and very much appreciate it!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I have now updated the thread as best possible (simplifications are made in places where suitable).

Odyssey

I have now updated the thread as best possible (simplifications are made in places where suitable).
Good work @Horizon22. Thank you.
SWR Strawberry Hill depot doesn't sign East Putney anymore.
Also could mention that Strawberry Hill and Wimbledon depots are "Metro Guards only".

That terminology is outdated anyway, the two grades now are Commercial and Metro Guard, Metro is the replacement job title for "Non-Commercial".
@Horizon22 it has been mentioned here that SWR have replaced "Non-Commercial Guard" with "Metro Guard"

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Good work @Horizon22. Thank you.
SWR Strawberry Hill depot doesn't sign East Putney anymore.
Also could mention that Strawberry Hill and Wimbledon depots are "Metro Guards only".

@Horizon22 it has been mentioned here that SWR have replaced "Non-Commercial Guard" with "Metro Guard"

There is no differentiation in the SWR section currently, so it will be as it is. This is about route knowledge and traction. I've removed the other thing.

Odyssey

There is no differentiation in the SWR section currently, so it will be as it is. This is about route knowledge and traction. I've removed the other thing.
There are several references to "Commercial Guards" in the SWR section without any explanation of what this means. So maybe those references should be removed as well.

stadler

Thank you for updating it. Much appreciated. Can i just point out that the Guards at Eastbourne no longer sign the Seaford branch. I think you forgot to remove the Seaford branch from that list. Also is it possible to add the details for Northern Ireland Railways that i provided too. I also provided the details for Irish Rail as well but i am not sure if you want to include that or not. Many thanks.

stadler

Just one other very minor thing i noticed. Tonbridge depot is still showing as signing 466s there so i think you had forgot to remove that. Guards at Tonbridge no longer sign 466s any more. In fact no Guards at any Southeastern depot sign 466s any more.

newtownmgr

West Midlands Trains

Worcester Senior Cobductors also sign Dorridge to Stratford upon Avon via Claverdon

Train Boy

For GWR, Westbury guards have lost Taunton to Weston-super-Mare from their route cards as of the latest timetable change, along with 255s.

Weymouth guards also sign Chippenham to Bath Spa via Box as a diversionary route.

Par guards sign Plymouth to Penzance, along with all branches: Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay, Falmouth and St Ives. Tractions are 150, 158 and 255s.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
West Midlands Trains

Worcester Senior Cobductors also sign Dorridge to Stratford upon Avon via Claverdon
SWR Strawberry Hill have now lost Waterloo to Guildford via Cobham
For GWR, Westbury guards have lost Taunton to Weston-super-Mare from their route cards as of the latest timetable change, along with 255s.

Weymouth guards also sign Chippenham to Bath Spa via Box as a diversionary route.

Par guards sign Plymouth to Penzance, along with all branches: Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay, Falmouth and St Ives. Tractions are 150, 158 and 255s.

WMT Coventry - 172 no longer signed, 196 to be added

All added / updated, thanks

BHXDMT

Some TPE updates:

Cleethorpes:
Traction: 185

Cleethorpes-Doncaster via Scunthorpe
Doncaster-Sheffield via Swinton
Mexborough Jn-Aldwarke Jn via Thrybergh Jn
Aldwarke Jn-Holmes Jn via Rotherham Central
Sheffield-Manchester Oxford Road via Stockport
New Mills South Jn-Ardwick Jn via Romiley

Sheffield:

Sheffield-Manchester Picc via Stockport
Sheffield-Doncaster via Meadowhall & Swinton
Doncaster-Cleethorpes via Scunthorpe
Manchester Picc-Manchester Airport
Manchester Vic-Liverpool L St via Newton-le-Willows
Manchester Picc-Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington (CLC)
Sheffield-Manchester Picc via Moorthorpe, Wakefield K, Huddersfield & Guide Bridge
Holmes Jn-Aldwarke Jn via Rotherham Central
Aldwarke Jn-Mexborough Jn via Thrybergh Jn
Nunnery Main Line Jn-Rotherham Central via Woodburn Jn
Crofton Depot

SWTurbo

Not sure if this has been said but Penzance GWR has been merged with HSS, all are now TMs. Not sure about any route card changes. Would assume the TMs will remain and the CNDR will hold old and TM stuff until the old stuff lapses.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Some TPE updates:

Cleethorpes:

Cleethorpes-Doncaster via Scunthorpe
Doncaster-Sheffield via Swinton
Mexborough Jn-Aldwarke Jn via Thrybergh Jn
Aldwarke Jn-Holmes Jn via Rotherham Central
Sheffield-Manchester Oxford Road via Stockport

Sheffield:

Sheffield-Manchester Picc via Stockport
Sheffield-Doncaster via Meadowhall & Swinton
Doncaster-Cleethorpes via Scunthorpe
Manchester Picc-Manchester Airport
Manchester Vic-Liverpool L St via Newton-le-Willows
Manchester Picc-Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington (CLC)
Sheffield-Manchester Picc via Moorthorpe, Wakefield K, Huddersfield & Guide Bridge
Holmes Jn-Aldwarke Jn via Rotherham Central
Aldwarke Jn-Mexborough Jn via Thrybergh Jn
Nunnery Main Line Jn-Rotherham Central via Woodburn Jn
Crofton Depot

Thanks - aren't TPE generally withdrawing some other unit types so I presume this is across the board for traction types?

FR510

Just one other very minor thing i noticed. Tonbridge depot is still showing as signing 466s there so i think you had forgot to remove that. Guards at Tonbridge no longer sign 466s any more. In fact no Guards at any Southeastern depot sign 466s any more.
That's not technically true. Guards work 466s providing they are in formation with a 465. It's just that 466s are no longer allowed to operate in passenger service without being coupled to a 465.

AJDesiro

Overheard a WMT guard instructor talking to some other staff that Birmingham New Street depot will sign the Camp Hill Line when the local service starts up.

Line speed

Just an update about TPE at Lime street.

Liverpool Lime Street:
Traction: 185, 802

Liverpool L St-Manchester Vic via Newton-le-Willows
Edge Hill-Manchester Airport via Warrington Central
Manchester Picc-Leeds via Marsden and Dewsbury
Huddersfield-Leeds via Wakefield Kirkgate
Brighouse-Huddersfield
Miles Platting-Heaton Lodge via Hebden Bridge
Salford Central-Water Street Jn (Ordsall Chord)

The route card has been decimated over recent years but that is what absolutely everyone signs.

There are also a number of extras that some sign and some don't. They are:

Leeds-York via micklefield or Castleford.(no booked work as of Dec23)
Salford Crescent-Manchester Victoria (direct)
Salford Crescent-Deansgate
York-Newcastle via KEB and HLB (crew in the single digits still sign it.)

Over 150 miles lost in the name of efficiency.