• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption on HS1 due to signalling problems caused by flooding in the Thames Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjwri

Established Member
bear in mind that there may be tourists going home and disruption is far more of an issue for them. I got caught in a sudden strike earlier this year across the German rail network. Overall, not a big deal to find a hotel for one night extra and spend another day in Berlin - but for others it might have been.
I think you sum up my point though with the it’s only another day in a hotel. It’s an inconvenience, but one I’ve faced on airlines too multiple times. I have no real idea how much maintaining route knowledge for high speed drivers would cost for the entire route to London, but would it be worth it for an event which has happened once in the time I can remember. (Realistically baring a full HS1 closure would diversionary paths and crewing would not be organised in time)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
You could terminate Eurostar trains at Stratford which has much better transport connections than Ashford or Ebbsfleet for one.

Also temple mills isn’t quite far either. Although I doubt a shunt could be done tbh into Stratford international from there.

Well you couldn't because a) the tunnel is the wrong side of the block & b) there are absoutely no departure processing facilities at Stratford Intl.

island

Veteran Member
When Gatwick was closed due to the drones in 2018 BA sent at least one 777 to Schiphol (probably Gatwick based but diverted to Heathrow) in order to mop-up stranded passengers. I booked myself onto the then Eurostar service in order to get home.
Airlines may have spare planes, but Eurostar is rather less likely to.
You could terminate Eurostar trains at Stratford which has much better transport connections than Ashford or Ebbsfleet for one.
Except you can't get Eurostar trains to Stratford because the rail tunnel under the Thames is a bit damp.

Cletus

Established Member
Had to travel back to Dover from Charing Cross this afternoon because of the disruption. It was on a 3x 375.

More than the usual number of foreign travellers. Including a Dutch family in the carriage I was on who were trying to ring someone to get aboard a ferry as foot passengers.

AHCT

Well it was there when I last went past last month, as it is on Traksy and OpenTrainTimes, whcih both show the down line as "No Go" at the Springhead end and "no AC" at the Fawkham Junction end.
I have a hunch that there may be a bigger problem in that there are few any British loading gauge, 3rd rail equipped Eurostar sets anymore, of which two are stuck on the far side of France on Alps services (to make things worse I think I saw somewhere that some e300 - i.e. the Class 373s in "old money" - sets had 3rd rail equipment removed), so even if it were in place all that could really happen would be that the few OLE AC and TVM-equipped Southeastern EMUs (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that it's a fancy way of saying "Class 395s") would be able to shuttle passengers between Ashford and London (which of course is functionally no different to doing without Fawkham Jct. and just having people change at Ashford).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have a hunch that there may be a bigger problem in that there are few any British loading gauge, 3rd rail equipped Eurostar sets anymore, of which two are stuck on the far side of France on Alps services (to make things worse I think I saw somewhere that some e300 - i.e. the Class 373s in "old money" - sets had 3rd rail equipment removed), so even if it were in place all that could really happen would be that the few OLE AC and TVM-equipped Southeastern EMUs (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that it's a fancy way of saying "Class 395s") would be able to shuttle passengers between Ashford and London (which of course is functionally no different to doing without Fawkham Jct. and just having people change at Ashford).
All the 373s have had their shoegear and the associated electricals removed as far as I know.

Meglos

When Gatwick was closed due to the drones in 2018 BA sent at least one 777 to Schiphol (probably Gatwick based but diverted to Heathrow) in order to mop-up stranded passengers. I booked myself onto the then Eurostar service in order to get home.
But it wasn't an extra flight, it was an upgrade to a bigger aircraft using the same ATC slot.

21C101

Established Member
I have no real idea how much maintaining route knowledge for high speed drivers would cost for the entire route to London, but would it be worth it for an event which has happened once in the time I can remember.
The square root of virtually nothing if a morning peak service was run via Ebbsfleet and Fawkham to Victoria and another to Cannon St via Ebbsfleet and Fawkham and vice versa in the evening. I suspect they would be exceptionally well used too.

(Realistically baring a full HS1 closure would diversionary paths and crewing would not be organised in time)
If you are competent you organise it in detail in advance, with a contingency plan and roll it out when the merde hits the fan. This involves things like getting Q paths, driver route knowledge (see above) deciding in advance what gets canned to enable a change at short notice (eg canning the services via Gravesend to Margate to free up crew up and stock to run the services from Ashford to Victoria/Cannon St, and canning some suburhban services if needed to clear paths/space at Termini.

In this case its a lot easier than in many cases as thesame TOC runs both classic and Javelin services.

The missing thing is a controlling mind to direct it all and bang heads together. Separation of track and train makes this virtually imlossible and it hds only worked up to now due to many ex BR people with experience of running an integrated railway ignoring the contractual crap and getting on with it. As they retire and leave the whole thing is starting to fall apart.

Benjwri

Established Member
If you are competent you organise it in detail in advance, with a contingency plan and roll it out when the merde hits the fan. This involves things like getting Q paths, driver route knowledge (see above) deciding in advance what gets canned to enable a change at short notice (eg canning the services via Gravesend to Margate to free up crew up and stock to run the services from Ashford to Victoria/Cannon St, and canning some suburhban services if needed to clear paths/space at Termini.
My point on this bit was that send all your javelins off to Victoria at the first sign of trouble creates issues with service recovery after, as everything is in the wrong place. It isn’t until you know the disruption will continue for an extended time you can implement the plans.

21C101

Established Member
My point on this bit was that send all your javelins off to Victoria at the first sign of trouble creates issues with service recovery after, as everything is in the wrong place. It isn’t until you know the disruption will continue for an extended time you can implement the plans.
Again in this case its an easier decision than most.
1) International trains start running through again as soon as the line opens.

2) The Javelins are relatively short distance outer suburban services so the changeover to running normally again isn't as bad as many, and in any case the classic services continue to run.

johncrossley

Established Member
There are several flights with spare seats from London to various parts of western Europe from where you can find trains or coaches to Brussels, Amsterdam or Paris. For example, if you found a flight to Frankfurt you could then get a train to Brussels, Paris or Amsterdam. If you can find a flight from London to Marseille you can then get a TGV back to Paris.

Alternatively you could fly to Paris or Brussels via another city. For example, London - Dublin - Paris.

When Heathrow had computer problems, British Airways allowed passengers to go other routes and claim it back. Similarly, Eurostar should allow this.

island

Veteran Member
When Heathrow had computer problems, British Airways allowed passengers to go other routes and claim it back. Similarly, Eurostar should allow this.
Eurostar’s disruption leaflet that is being handed out at stations specifically states they will not cover flights.

brad465

Established Member
Pretty certain it’s severed to the Chatham Main Line.
Have the actual ironworks been cut somewhere? I know it was taken out of use when an old 373 was stored on the link, but the junction with the Chatham mainline seems to be in place still. I assume if a physical separation now exists it's somewhere part way along out of view of either end.

Taylor1

There are several flights with spare seats from London to various parts of western Europe from where you can find trains or coaches to Brussels, Amsterdam or Paris. For example, if you found a flight to Frankfurt you could then get a train to Brussels, Paris or Amsterdam. If you can find a flight from London to Marseille you can then get a TGV back to Paris.

Alternatively you could fly to Paris or Brussels via another city. For example, London - Dublin - Paris.

Look at the pictures of families sitting on the floors at Gare du Nord or St Pancras. Is what you suggest really feasible for them, or for many overseas tourists, paying our VAT for whom Brussels is nearer to London than San Franciso to LA which I can drive in about 6 hours! They don't have our railway minds at all and need help.

CarrotPie

While thinking of this, I recall that the Channel tunnel itself was designed with to independent grid connections at both ends. My understanding is that it is now solely fed from the French end. A failure waiting to happen.
Just because it is fed from the French end doesn't mean it can't also be fed from the English end! My understanding (I may be wrong) is that they've just chosen to use the French connection, but both sides can power it on their own.
Pretty certain it’s severed to the Chatham Main Line.
The connection was there last year, it's there on my Track maps book, and, most importantly, it's there on Google Earth! If that's exceptionally out of date, when was it severed?

johncrossley

Established Member
Eurostar’s disruption leaflet that is being handed out at stations specifically states they will not cover flights.

My point is that they should from a customer service point of view. British Airways, to their credit, paid out huge sums for passengers to take alternative routes around the world. My friend ended up shelling out £1,000 for a replacement flight on another airline and BA paid out.

Taylor1

Friday, as usual, I left home to give my housekeeper free reign. She couldn’t get in—wrong set of keys. Back-up plan A: call the concierge—sadly concierge out on an emergency call. Back-up Plan B: call me—sadly her new phone hadn’t copied over all her contacts, including me. Back-up Plan C: call my wife—sadly same as Plan B, plus my wife was out of the country this weekend. Yes, we had three back-up plans for something so simple and still we came unstuck!

OK, what’s really at issue here, and it came up, upthread, are the insurance costs to cover outages. My wife is also in the travel industry, and we would never, ever travel at this time of year unless we had to. We did have a bereavement in the family a few weeks ago and would have been prepared to pay the €792 BA are asking for a seat on Sunday’s 16h15 flight from CDG to LHR. I always tell friends always save enough and put it to one side to travel back in the highest fare category wherever you travel. I’ve told Eurostar, which I used pretty much weekly up to about five years ago (at the beginning, zounds, the UK Immigration was done on the train, but of course that had to go out of the window as soon as the UK was no longer going to be a party to the Dublin agreement on repatriation), that they no longer offer the product I need. Eurostar’s business model is now built around the lowest common service provision, just like Michael O’Leary’s Ryanair. If you’re hale and hearty and have no kids and are willing to accept the risks, then really, that’s absolutely fine, but my time and business are too precious for that kind of uncertainty—and there are many, many passengers who are far less fit and aware than I am who simply don’t realise the very significant even enormous risks they are taking on themselves by buying cheap highly restricted tickets, by definition most Eurostar tickets. Sadly, (sorry about the tautology), the service providers sculpt their product around the majority of consumers who are willing to take those risks. Wet lease a crewed A320 costs about €40,000 plus 50% for all the ancillary ground costs, that’s around €400 per passenger for the above route. How many takers? Just checked: 25 Jan. fully flexible ticket on Eurostar €375, Standard class €74 non-ref., change fee €40. Guess what the insurance cost is? What a surprise!

Regarding system resilience, I don’t know who it was in the UK who gave Eurostar a licence to conduct business, but the retention of some 373s able to work into Waterloo or Victoria and immigration inspection resilience should have been in the HS1 enabling act. I do hope those passengers who are caught up in this mess, will shout loudly about their appalling treatment. But hey, as far as the governments are concerned, a large number are not voters and are thus voiceless!

Samzino

Well you couldn't because a) the tunnel is the wrong side of the block & b) there are absoutely no departure processing facilities at Stratford Intl.
I know which is why I mentioned if stratford had lived up to its name. Meaningless now as I’ve realised that the Thames tunnel I assumed the flooding was is the wrong one. Assumed it was the bit between Stratford and St Pancras.

What is Eurostar cancellation compensation like? Is it just the money back or do they get a bit on top like what airlines give you

island

Veteran Member
My point is that they should from a customer service point of view. British Airways, to their credit, paid out huge sums for passengers to take alternative routes around the world. My friend ended up shelling out £1,000 for a replacement flight on another airline and BA paid out.
Airlines are obliged by law to reroute passengers on other airlines when a flight is cancelled and they cannot accommodate the passengers themselves in a reasonable time. BA does not deserve special credit for doing what the law required of it.

Train operators are obliged to reroute onto other train operators, but not other modes of transport. Eurostar is of course the only operator on this route so this is somewhat irrelevant.

Disruption compensation

C EUROSTAR

We apologise for the inconvenience caused further to the cancellation or the delay of your train.

If you have a booking for a cancelled train today, you can either get a refund of your ticket or a free exchange (according availability). To refund or exchange your ticket, please contact us within 60 days of today's date.

For any refund, we invite you to contact our Eurostar Traveller Care Team on the following link www.eurostar.com/disruption or to visit our website www.eurostar.com (travel information service information disruption compensation),

For any exchange, please contact our point of sale at the station or contact our Eurostar Traveller Care Team on the following link www.eurostar.com/disruption.

If your train was delayed by one hour or more, then you will be entitled to compensation. We invite you to visit the following link compensation.eurostar.com or our website www.eurostar.com (travel information-service information- disruption compensation).

If, as a result of your train being cancelled or delayed, you are unable to complete your booked journey or return home, then we will help by covering some of the costs. A guideline to what we will consider as reasonable costs to be refunded is as follows:

- Hôtels : up to £ 150 / 170 € per room, per night or 3* equivalent

- Taxis: up to £ 50 / 60 € per taxi

- Food expenses: up to £ 35/40€ per person per day

Please note you must retain all receipts, original Eurostar tickets and have a valid PNR (6 Letters booking reference). Unfortunately flight costs cannot be claimed for.

For more detailed information, please approach a member of the Eurostar team who will be happy to help you or contact our Eurostar Traveller Care Team (help.eurostar.com/email).

Again, we would like to apologise for the disruption to your journey.

Version 2015

Airlines are obliged by law to reroute passengers on other airlines when a flight is cancelled and they cannot accommodate the passengers themselves in a reasonable time. BA does not deserve special credit for doing what the law required of it.

Train operators are obliged to reroute onto other train operators, but not other modes of transport. Eurostar is of course the only operator on this route so this is somewhat irrelevant.
Aren't domestic operators required to put people in taxis, replacement busses / hotels should they not be able to make the journey via train?

johncrossley

Established Member

Eurostar is effectively an airline on rails and their existence severely harms air competition on the London to Brussels and Paris routes, to the point that no low cost airlines operate between London and Brussels. Therefore they should be obliged to reroute onto airlines. Otherwise London to Paris/Brussels passengers are more likely to be left high and dry compared to passengers on other routes.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Probably more that they can't than anything; I imagine there's very little availability left before New Year's Eve.

What are those Margate passengers going to do? Why are the Eurostar passengers more important?

Get on the "classic" service towards Victoria / Charing Cross / Cannon Street.

johncrossley

Established Member
Probably more that they can't than anything; I imagine there's very little availability left before New Year's Eve.

I just looked. There are seats on all Aer Lingus flights between London and Dublin, and between Dublin and Paris tomorrow. So you can easily fly London - Dublin - Paris.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is there anything that could be done to transfer some people to the ferries in these circumstances ?

Status
Not open for further replies.