• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District Line D Stock final withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I use the bottom half of the Circle / District almost every day, and haven't seen D stock for a couple of weeks until today. Although, as it happens, the one I saw today was on the M1 near Northampton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
The difference in interior width is visible from these photos, the S stock seating being usefully further back than the D stock.

5361234862_235a5d57fc_b.jpg

9686062269_75a8ce1476_b.jpg

DelW

Established Member
Well, when the D Stock is retired, it will be the end of the real sub-surface Underground.

I thought that when the elegant, red, flared sides, CO/CP stock was replaced by what I thought of as utilitarian D stock in the early '80s.

Highly likely that in forty years time some group will be appealing to "preserve some of those lovely old S-stock trains"

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I thought that when the elegant, red, flared sides, CO/CP stock was replaced by what I thought of as utilitarian D stock in the early '80s.

Highly likely that in forty years time some group will be appealing to "preserve some of those lovely old S-stock trains"

Or perhaps the former MD of a mainline TOC will hatch an ingenious plan to fit them with nuclear fusion reactor units so they can be used to tackle a shortage of self-powered railway vehicles... <D

Nym

Established Member
It is certainly heartening that Bombardier is able to build trains to a high standard for Tfl. I hope that the Crossrail units are as good as the S stock (& the 378s too) in terms of reliability and build quality.

I hope they're better, the build quality of S Stock and Class 378s is appalling...

Indeed the widest part of a D Stock is at floor level whereas at the waist level on S Stock, the seats are pushed back into this wider part.

D Stock cars are longer though, and there is also the consideration of A Stock being wider than both of them, and I believe C Stock was also wider. Finally, the carbody structure of S Stock is also thicker than that of D, C, or A stock.

There's also the matter of externally hung doors, removing the need for casement windows...

Nym

Established Member
I'll stay above cant rail...

The ceiling panels are mounted hard up against foam mounts, because they do not fit properly into the mounts, and vibrate significantly if not on foam. You can lead a lot more on than this but I really can't be bothered typing it all tonight.

Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
How many D stock trains are there now because all the early morning diagrams I see when I'm going to work are now all S stock.

phoenixcronin

The interiors seem very solid and robust, what's the catch with them?

Indeed the S Stock seems pretty solid to me, but the 378s not so much. Many of them have failed/blank DMIs, mostly on the inside but a few outside as well. Many of the handrails/poles, especially in the doorway area, have also become loose and hence rattle.

Also not sure how to really describe it but some of the ceiling panels are clearly not aligned properly as there are uneven gaps visible, ditto for the light diffusers.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
How many D stock trains are there now because all the early morning diagrams I see when I'm going to work are now all S stock.
As at this morning 17 trains are available to run.
14 were out in the AM peak today, 11 of those will remain out in the off-peak.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Indeed the S Stock seems pretty solid to me, but the 378s not so much. Many of them have failed/blank DMIs, mostly on the inside but a few outside as well. Many of the handrails/poles, especially in the doorway area, have also become loose and hence rattle.

Also not sure how to really describe it but some of the ceiling panels are clearly not aligned properly as there are uneven gaps visible, ditto for the light diffusers.
Victoria Line trains have the same issue with panels and lots of rubber strips hanging out, which has also got increasingly filthy because of issues with the filters.

Joe Public won't care if they run, but I'd say build quality is not good on Bombardier stock.

They've only just fixed the broken button problem on the 379s in the last six months or so.

The 700 I was on last week is obviously brand new, but I was being sad and looking at various panels and lights to see if they were better and they appear to be - from what's visible away from a depot!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
As at this morning 17 trains are available to run.
14 were out in the AM peak today, 11 of those will remain out in the off-peak.

Are the morning and evening HSK - KO round trips still in the hands of D stock? I like to make it a point of honour to get in the other end when it gets to Kensington Olympia before the driver gets there just to frighten the living bejesus out of them - also confuses them when I say I've come all the way from Hull just to ride the two evening trips

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are the morning and evening HSK - KO round trips still in the hands of D stock?
There are no AM round trips.
The PM trips are T124 T125 which start and finish at Ealing Common depot are still occasionally Ds.

A Farewell Tour (one of two) is being arranged for Sunday 7 August to follow the same route as the first C Stock Farewell Tour; Moogate- Amersham- north curve to Watford- Harrow- Uxbridge- Acton Town- Northfields- ending at Plaistow.
Details and ticket arrangements will soon be on the LT Museum website.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This has persuaded me to make some plans rather rapidly, to the extent that I have a few things I need to get confirmed first, then by Wednesday I have intentions to get myself booked down to London in early August!

23 sets left according to the District Dave list, a decent run is more than required on a D stock for the last time. Got to be more than just Edgware Road to High Street Kensington, as I did for the C stock and I loved them far more than the D stock!

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Hi all, in London next week and thinking of getting some D stock photos, where is best on the network?

Any times or workings that are more likely to produce a D78?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Hi all, in London next week and thinking of getting some D stock photos, where is best on the network?

Any times or workings that are more likely to produce a D78?
Off-peak regulars are trains 62 and 67 both on Wimbledon-Barking service.
Usually 2-3 perform on both Richmond-Upminster and Ealing-Upminster.
8 have regularly appeared off-peak, with 14 in the peaks.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Thanks.

Are there any interesting photo locations for the District line? Urban and gritty preferred over rural!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Are any District line branches now exclusively run with S stock? if there are has the supply voltage been increased on them branches to better suit the S stock?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are any District line branches now exclusively run with S stock? if there are has the supply voltage been increased on them branches to better suit the S stock?
High Street Kensington-Edgware Road is exclusively S Stock but the new Edgware Road and Triangle sub-stations are still to be commissioned.

Deepgreen

Established Member
One of the 'fun' features of D stock is the doors flying open as the train comes to a halt at platforms (when released), and I had been under the impression that S stock's controls prevented the same thing happening with them, but my S stock train had not quite stopped at St. James's Park yesterday when the doors opened. I had never previously witnessed anything other than a complete halt and a second or so's wait before doors opening.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Ended up out West, managed to get a few D stock sets, including this pairing through Kew Gardens. They seemed more regular on the Richmond line, I was at Ealing Broadway for two hours and didn't see one come in there.

CnRHABKWIAIF9YZ.jpg

I missed the last days of the A and C stock, so wanted to make amends here. These are for me the 'classic' tube trains of my visits to London as a kid and sad to see them go.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Ended up out West, managed to get a few D stock sets, including this pairing through Kew Gardens. They seemed more regular on the Richmond line, I was at Ealing Broadway for two hours and didn't see one come in there.

CnRHABKWIAIF9YZ.jpg

I missed the last days of the A and C stock, so wanted to make amends here. These are for me the 'classic' tube trains of my visits to London as a kid and sad to see them go.
Why would they confine the D stock to the Richmond branch it's the busier than the Ealing Broadway therfore they need more S stock surely on the Richmond branch:o

Dstock7080

Established Member
Today, there were an equal 4 on each Richmond and Ealing branches, 3 on the Wimbledons and an additional 5 out in the peak - all 16 trains remaining.

Dispatches from Ealing Common depot are suspended now until 8 August.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I had my personal farewells to the D stocks last Sunday for a reasonable distance move, Hornchurch to East Ham with 7012+7095 then on Monday with another pair (sorry I've forgot the numbers right now, I'm tired) for a Parsons Green to Fulham Broadway leap.

Hopefully some more will be out when I'm down in early August, if not I'll be content with my efforts. Would have had more off the D stocks but not many were on the Wimbledon line during my visit on Monday morning. The other one I noted on the line was missed by a few seconds, due to some major grouping of trains. Then a large gap in service before a more sensible spread, if that happened before I'd have scored a winning D stock, not had that since whenever it was I was in London with Kite and Hassaan!

Will be sad to see them go still.

Status
Not open for further replies.