• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

disused signals and OHL gantries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
similar to the disused level crossing thread I made a couple of months ago but are there any disused signals or OHL gantries that are still in situ on a closed line (after 1975). i can only think of the woodhead line as that still has some OHL and a signal post near hadfield station but its not visible on google street view

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
similar to the disused level crossing thread I made a couple of months ago but are there any disused signals or OHL gantrys that are still in situ on a closed line (after 1975). i can only think of the woodhead line as that still has some OHL and a signal post near hadfield station but its not visible on google street view

The former Platform 4 at Gordon Hill has the overhead left in place even though the track has long been lifted and the signalling long removed, some applies for the loco siding at Berwick Upon Tweed it has the overheads but no track or signalling in place.

thedbdiboy

One of the last surviving fragments of the Great Central viaduct in Leicester (route closed 1969) has a signal post still standing on it!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
There are a number of ohle stanchions still standing around the Guide bridge area on routes that have long closed.It is possible to make out the platform edges of the filled in sections where 4 tracks were reduced to two here and at Fairfield and gorton

Between Dewsbury and ravensthorpe a closed Line runs underneath the TPE route alongside the river heading to Healey mills. They have just replaced the signal head there, even tho the line is closed, ripped up and converted into a cycle path

packetlos

I've noticed at the south of Tyne Yard there is a head shunt that has had the track removed but still has the OHL wired and presumably energised!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
There is ohle between edge hill station and the depot on former flyovers wheere the track has long gone. The other end of the flyovers being where wavertree technology park now stands.

class303

How long did the OHLE last at Barbican? passed through there this morning and noted it's long gone.

I mean on the disused platforms, of course.

rebmcr

Established Member
Between Dewsbury and ravensthorpe a closed Line runs underneath the TPE route alongside the river heading to Healey mills. They have just replaced the signal head there, even tho the line is closed, ripped up and converted into a cycle path

I'd like to know how they focussed that at 2m above the left running rail...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
A lot of disused OHLE around Liverpool in the freight yards. Hopefully we might see this come back one day, who knows.

the sniper

Established Member
Much of the Walsall to Round Oak (Merry Hill) line, closed in 1993, still has track and signals in place. No OHL though.

Rugd1022

One of the last surviving fragments of the Great Central viaduct in Leicester (route closed 1969) has a signal post still standing on it!

Further suth near Braunston & Willoughby there's the remains of an LNER concrete bracket signal post ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's a freight/ECS line that leaves the Stalybridge-Victoria line between Stalybridge & Ashton and crosses over the Ashburys line before joining the Stalybridge-Stockport. This still has overhead gantries (from the 1,500vDC days) along large sections, though obviously no wires! When the Glossop lines were converted to 25Kv in the 80s, the original DC gantries were re-used.

Healey Mills is a strange one- not only are there miles upon miles of unused sidings there are also many sections where track has been lifted. There's also a short section of OHLE that's completely isolated from the rest of the electrified network. I have no idea what this was installed for: perhaps for testing and maintaining OHLE plant?

W230

Established Member
are there any disused signals or OHL gantries that are still in situ on a closed line (after 1975).
If you zoom in here you can see this signal (it still shows danger though you can't see it on this picture) even though the line has been lifted some time ago.

Can't remember for sure but I think there are also disused signals further down the Tinsley freight line (south east of the marshalling yard) where the rails are all over the place.

causton

Established Member
If you zoom in here you can see this signal (it still shows danger though you can't see it on this picture) even though the line has been lifted some time ago.

Can't remember for sure but I think there are also disused signals further down the Tinsley freight line (south east of the marshalling yard) where the rails are all over the place.

Try the "Link" button in the top of the left panel next to the printer icon - you just linked to the homepage ;)

The Planner

Veteran Member
Much of the Walsall to Round Oak (Merry Hill) line, closed in 1993, still has track and signals in place. No OHL though.

You'll be lucky to find a signal left on it now. The few at the Walsall end are being ripped out anyway and won't feature in the interlocking of the re-signalling.

RPM

Established Member

ole man

The line to Silverdale colliery at Madeley on the WCML has a signal showing a red aspect, it's been OOU for over 5 years,and not used properly since the 90's

driver9000

Established Member
The semaphore signal protecting the junction at St Helens Central coming off the Ravenhead branch is still in place.

The colour light signal for trains coming off the Deepdale branch at Preston is still in place, no idea if it is still lit though.

Poulton le Fylde still has the semaphore signals to come off and enter the Fleetwood line.

Rose Grove West junction has the frame of the signal (no aspects or back) coming off the Padiham line.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I think there are still some disused OLE gantries around the Old Trafford stop on Metrolink where old heavy rail tracks used to be.

class303

The junction of the old princess pier line and the wemyss bay branch still has a unused signal where it meets the wemyss bay line. track still there but been not used in over 20 years

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Ore has an operational two-aspect colour light protecting access from the long removed EMU depot onto the Marshlink line. That little remnant has been OOU for at least a decade.

W230

Established Member
Try the "Link" button in the top of the left panel next to the printer icon - you just linked to the homepage ;)
I knew there used to be a link button - couldn't find it yesterday and thought it had worked. :lol:

Try this link instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.