• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diverted trains passing crowded platforms at speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunset route

Established Member
Suprised the overspeed tests for 377s took place on Southern region at all. Surely the WCML would be much better for this being a 125mph railway?

A bit difficult if your proving the class when all you have is dc only 377/1 or 377/3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
But presumably they have the wells for pantographs to be added on a temporary basis like the Class 707s at SWT.

Dieseldriver

Some TOC professional driving policies do instruct drivers to approach red signals that they have not stopped at recently more cautiously than they would do 'normally'.
Red signals. Irrelevant to whether it's a 'lesser driven route/diversion'. Most of the signals on my core routes I have never stopped at, I would approach those cautiously (although drivers will approach all reds cautiously regardless of their location).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
But presumably they have the wells for pantographs to be added on a temporary basis like the Class 707s at SWT.

Pantographs are one thing; a lump of a transformer and all sorts of power electronics to turn 25kvAC into 7-800v DC is quite another.

exile

Established Member
I wonder what effect there would be on timekeeping if drivers had to slow to 40 when passing each station.

theironroad

Established Member
I wonder what effect there would be on timekeeping if drivers had to slow to 40 when passing each station.

Absolutely horrendous.

There's plenty of places where trains need to run at linespeed adjacent to platforms to maintain timekeeping.

Modern warning horns are so loud that drivers are under pressure to only use when required or absolutely necessary. Tbh, using the warning horns too close to a platform can also cause more problems than it solves as rather than warn people, it often scares them and makes them jump.

Taunton

Established Member
Try the Down Main platform at Slough when a crowd of people has just disembarked from a Windsor train...
I, and others, have written about the situation on the Slough Down Main before, and it will only get worse when Crossrail drives up the passenger numbers. As so often nowadays, the installation of exit gates has been the cause, and whatever "Risk Assessment" was done must have been fudged. The gates are hard up against a narrow platform, and if Windsor shuttle and passengers from trains from the relief lines coming over the footbridge coincide in the morning peak, just as a down HST passes, it's a concerning moment.

Chris M

Tbh, using the warning horns too close to a platform can also cause more problems than it solves as rather than warn people, it often scares them and makes them jump.
Having once nearly jumped out of my skin when a HST stationary in the platform at Bristol Parkway sounded its horn as I was walking past the cab I can attest to this. I'd been photographing at the end of the platform and was walking back (probably about halfway between the yellow line and back of the platform) not paying too much attention to my surroundings (I think I was looking at the photos I'd taken) when it was sounded. The driver was changing ends (the train had come from Paddington via Bath, Dr Days Junction and Filton bank and was reversing to continue to South Wales) so whether it was part of opening up the cab and my proximity was coincidental or whether it was aimed at me I have no idea. The effect was the same regardless.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Desiro horns are variable volume, stationary they're quite loud, at speed they're deafening! WHAT?

Class 170101

Established Member
Pantographs are one thing; a lump of a transformer and all sorts of power electronics to turn 25kvAC into 7-800v DC is quite another.

I would still expect a 377 to be capable of both given they are modular and the parts added with minimal fuss. Isn't there also a requirement for any new EMU to be capable of using the 25KV OLE network even if it may only see use on the 3rd Rail network?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would still expect a 377 to be capable of both given they are modular and the parts added with minimal fuss. Isn't there also a requirement for any new EMU to be capable of using the 25KV OLE network even if it may only see use on the 3rd Rail network?

Yes, but I think you are possibly thinking of two separate scenarios, a 100 mph DC EMU will still have to be tested at 10% overspeed in its normal area of operations, normally under a possession. Irrespective of any dual voltage capability they would still have to be able to demonstrate safe running at 110 mph in the third rail area, using DC pickup.

I don't think a DC EMU sub-class necessarily has to be tested on AC - just because the 707s are doing this doesn't mean it will necessarily be a standard requirement for all future trains. It may well just be best practice from the perspective of the owning ROSCO, as was pointed out recently about the general provision of space for AC equipment nowadays. I suggested a couple of weeks ago dual voltage "fit to receive capability" was a DfT requirement, but was quickly corrected.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Capable, after spending a million or so converting it (anything but minimal fuss) so what's the point?

There is no requirement for any new EMU to be able to use 25kVAC. It's just that the residual value* of the units is higher if it can, so new units generally have the capability. But they didn't at the start of the Electrostar programme.

Panupreset

During the summer during disruption I was approaching a very busy station not far from a London terminus working an ECS move. Reckoning the platform might be busy I slowed to about 35mph. It was busy. Suddenly spotted someone stood very close to the edge under one of those very large golfing umbrellas. Just managed to sound the horn but still destroyed his umbrella I reckon. Stopped very shortly after for a conversation with the signaller. Got a few hours off driving for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.