• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Class 314s have heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

class303

They're surely not carting passengers around in a freezer?

However the greenock telegraph's obviously having a few slow news months and keeps publishing anti 314 stories. complete with "they lack heating".

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/16069965.Petition_calls_to_scrap_old_trains_in_Inverclyde/

Gourock man Alan Holliday, who was a Labour candidate at last year’s council election, has launched a campaign calling on operators ScotRail and transport minister Humza Yousaf to withdraw the near 40-year-old Class 314s from local routes and bring back more modern carriages.

The trains, which were built in 1979, have been in use on the Gourock and Wemyss Bay lines since late 2016 but they lack heating, have no toilets or wireless internet...

Can someone confirm this is fake news? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They most certainly do have heating. There are electric heaters all along the lower edge walls of the 314s contained within a metal grille at floor level.

class303

They most certainly do have heating. There are electric heaters all along the lower edge walls of the 314s contained within a metal grille at floor level.

Yep. Thankyou, I thought I was going mad, I grew up on 303s 314s etc. I might email the Greenock Telegraph and tell them to stop string up fake news. The natives are getting restless!

It's hardly the end of the world such units being used on commuter lines like these imo. it won't be for much longer.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Are the class 315s in a better condition? :)

I wouldn't have said so.

The petition is pretty pointless anyway, the 314s will be withdrawn in a couple of years anyway. They're not that bad either, they may not have air-conditioning or toilets but the seats are more comfortable and ride far superior than in a 380. A 380 feels like a ship out in the Channel in a force 10 at anything over 50 mph.

bramling

Veteran Member
They're surely not carting passengers around in a freezer?

However the greenock telegraph's obviously having a few slow news months and keeps publishing anti 314 stories. complete with "they lack heating".

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/16069965.Petition_calls_to_scrap_old_trains_in_Inverclyde/

Can someone confirm this is fake news? Cheers

I love the way he implies that £1,800 isn't value for money. By south-east standards that's a bargain.

With the 385 issues the 314s may well be around for a while yet. How many times have they been about to be withdrawn in the last few years?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yep. Thankyou, I thought I was going mad, I grew up on 303s 314s etc. I might email the Greenock Telegraph and tell them to stop string up fake news. The natives are getting restless!

It's hardly the end of the world such units being used on commuter lines like these imo. it won't be for much longer.

Can't recall what the 303s had, presumably electric as well. The DMUs of the period had fuel heaters which gave off lovely fumes!

People seem to loathe 314s, I have always liked them, yes they are getting on a bit but they are in much better condition than many earlier BR trains were after 39 years. They really aren't that bad, the heating isn't always great, seems to vary unit to unit, but they are hardly refrigerators on rails. The opening windows are arguably to blame to a certain extent, some don't close/seal that well. I will be a bit sorry to see them go.

I wouldn't have said so.

The petition is pretty pointless anyway, the 314s will be withdrawn in a couple of years anyway. They're not that bad either, they may not have air-conditioning or toilets but the seats are more comfortable and ride far superior than in a 380. A 380 feels like a ship out in the Channel in a force 10 at anything over 50 mph.

The 314s are being withdrawn this year as the lease ends and has not been extended. Posters onboard every 314 and at some stations on 314 routes advertising this.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 314s are being withdrawn this year as the lease ends and has not been extended. Posters onboard every 314 and at some stations on 314 routes advertising this.

Couldn't recall exactly when they were going. I don't live on the Cathcart Circle anymore so rarely get the chance to travel by 314 much any more.

Can't recall what the 303s had, presumably electric as well. The DMUs of the period had fuel heaters which gave off lovely fumes!

People seem to loathe 314s, I have always liked them, yes they are getting on a bit but they are in much better condition than many earlier BR trains were after 39 years. They really aren't that bad, the heating isn't always great, seems to vary unit to unit, but they are hardly refrigerators on rails. The opening windows are arguably to blame to a certain extent, some don't close/seal that well. I will be a bit sorry to see them go.
Before they got refurbished the 303 heating was a heated strip on the seat base. After refurbishment it was electric strip heaters along each side of the coach at floor level.

route101

Established Member
Always thought the 303 and 314s were pretty similar inside , might just be my imagination . As for 314s they are pretty basic , not a fan of the seating and the window alignment is very poor .

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Always thought the 303 and 314s were pretty similar inside , might just be my imagination . As for 314s they are pretty basic , not a fan of the seating and the window alignment is very poor .

The 303s became quite similar internally to the 314s after refurbishment. Before that they had different seating, lighting, internal fittings, passenger view through drivers windows and no gangways.

I think most PEP-era units have poor seat-window alignment.

prod_pep

Established Member
Given the delays to the 385s, I think it's likely that some 314s will have their leases extended. The wording of the posters inside the trains implies some will continue beyond 2018 anyway, as they claim the 314s are retiring "from 2018" rather than "in 2018".

dm.701

I admit they're getting on a bit, but the 314s are really not that bad. Overreaction much by the Greenock Telegraph? They've operated on the Inverclyde for years. You'd think they were travelling on literal cattle wagons by the sound of it.

I'd happily swap the people of Inverclyde some 318s and 320s from the North Clyde for some 314s back! :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Given the delays to the 385s, I think it's likely that some 314s will have their leases extended. The wording of the posters inside the trains implies some will continue beyond 2018 anyway, as they claim the 314s are retiring "from 2018" rather than "in 2018".

Hopefully that's true, another year to say farewell to the oft-derided "clapped oot auld buggies" will not go amiss ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I admit they're getting on a bit, but the 314s are really not that bad. Overreaction much by the Greenock Telegraph? They've operated on the Inverclyde for years. You'd think they were travelling on literal cattle wagons by the sound of it.

I'd happily swap the people of Inverclyde some 318s and 320s from the North Clyde for some 314s back! :D

I know, plenty if people seem to hate them and similar classes on this forum.

The Dusty Bins and 318s aren't too bad either, but I do prefer the 314s for some odd reason. I'd rather have 318s on the Ayrshire Mainline still! I positively loathe 380s, does it show? :lol:

Last edited:

SC318250

Well 318/320 will be on some Inverclyde service from May
321403 pictured with pan up on WNXX news pages today, taken on Tuesday
Possible heading to Scotland soon for North Berwick services?
Then once 385s in service shorten to 320/4?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
oooh. I guess 320s have been to Wemyss Bay/Gourock before once in a blue moon, but this must be the 1st regular occurrence if true?

I thought 320s had already started on some Inverclyde diagrams.

I think must be getting mixed up with the Cathcart Circle.

dm.701

I thought 320s had already started on some Inverclyde diagrams.

I think must be getting mixed up with the Cathcart Circle.

I've heard of 320s operating on the Inverclyde back when they were orange and black but never saw any proof.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've heard of 320s operating on the Inverclyde back when they were orange and black but never saw any proof.

I've definitely seen a photo of one on a service out of Glasgow Central High Level in Orange/Black but can't remember the service.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
PEP EMUs don't have a traditional foot-space-sapping conduit, instead it's under some of the banks of seats. Unless the Merseyrail ones differ.

The 314s definitely have a metal conduit along the side at floor level with grilles. Plus I'm pretty sure you can see under the seats too.

Also, I'm a bit confused by that last sentence of yours. 314s are ScotRail units, so I'm bit unsure what Merseyrail has to do with it, unless you mean Merseyside 507/508s have a different heating arrangement in some way?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also, I'm a bit confused by that last sentence of yours. 314s are ScotRail units, so I'm bit unsure what Merseyrail has to do with it, unless you mean Merseyside 507/508s have a different heating arrangement in some way?

Yes, that's what I meant. PEP EMUs generally, of which Merseyrail 50x and Class 314s are both types, generally have the heating equipment under a couple of banks of seats rather than down the side.

BestWestern

Established Member
Wannabe political type makes big fuss in local rag over non-issue. That doesn't happen often!

route:oxford

Established Member
The thread has clarified that the units have heaters. There's nothing I can see that suggests that the heaters are operational.

A subtle but important difference.

TEW

Established Member
PEP EMUs don't have a traditional foot-space-sapping conduit, instead it's under some of the banks of seats. Unless the Merseyrail ones differ.
The ex-508 trailer coaches in the SWR 455/7s have the same arrangement, heating underneath some of the seats. The ex-508 coaches have less reliable heating than the other coaches, but when it is working, it gets the carriage much hotter than other carriages.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The thread has clarified that the units have heaters. There's nothing I can see that suggests that the heaters are operational.

A subtle but important difference.

Oh, they work - arguably too well! When on they are roasting hot, it's when passengers leave windows open, windows don't seal properly or the unit is sat at station with the doors wide-open and the wind howling in that they can feel pretty cold.

Admittedly, either the heating isn'the very reliable or drivers don't seem switch it on all that often. Last time I rode a 314, about December I think, the heating was not on, and you could feel the wind chill whenever the doors opened.

Fleetwood Boy

I’m on them every day. Can’t remember the last time the heating wasn’t working. Given their age, I think they’re in pretty good nick, and I’m largely indifferent whether I get a 314 or a 380. The whole campaign was kicked off by councillors looking to score political points. I’ve never heard any actual passenger on a train commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.