• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Class 314s have heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
320s were rare before they started the Lanark services at Glasgow Central High Level . I cannot recall seeing them on Inverclyde or Ayrshire services before , they used to be North Clyde only until around 2011 .
I think the 380s for the Ayr line was a step up from 318s and 334s. I find 320s and 318s cramped when busy with 3 - 2 seating .
If its such an issue couldnt the 320s and 318s be moved from Cathcart and newtons and swapped with 314s on inverclyde?
Never seen a 320 up the Neilston Branch either .
Can 334s turn up on Lanark services at Central?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC318250

322484 on 21/04/10 did work 1713 Glasgow Central to Ayr as a one off due to a shortage of rolling stock

Christmas

The 314s definitely have a metal conduit along the side at floor level with grilles. Plus I'm pretty sure you can see under the seats too.

Also, I'm a bit confused by that last sentence of yours. 314s are ScotRail units, so I'm bit unsure what Merseyrail has to do with it, unless you mean Merseyside 507/508s have a different heating arrangement in some way?

I can assure Hexagon that the 314s have the system described by Bletchleyite and not conduit along the walls. Heat is blown out from under various seats near the aisle, basically from the inner seat 'legs'.

The heating is always on and not controlled from the driving cab. Drivers have to open a cupboard in the saloon to isolate the heating and unless there is a fault, nobody touches it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I can assure Hexagon that the 314s have the system described by Bletchleyite and not conduit along the walls. Heat is blown out from under various seats near the aisle, basically from the inner seat 'legs'.

The heating is always on and not controlled from the driving cab. Drivers have to open a cupboard in the saloon to isolate the heating and unless there is a fault, nobody touches it.

I have no idea how the hearing is controlled, it's just that you can "feel" it abd other times you can't. If the 314s have unseat heating then what is the metal grille conduit along the sides, why can you feel heat from it and why can you see under the seats? Just curious.

Christmas

I have no idea how the hearing is controlled, it's just that you can "feel" it abd other times you can't. If the 314s have unseat heating then what is the metal grille conduit along the sides, why can you feel heat from it and why can you see under the seats? Just curious.

I think you're getting the interior of the 318 confused with the 314. The 318 has conduit at floor level on the side walls. The 314 has the blown air from underneath the seats as described. Any pictures on Google will confirm this, hence why the seat legs have grilles on them.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think you're getting the interior of the 318 confused with the 314. The 318 has conduit at floor level on the side walls. The 314 has the blown air from underneath the seats as described. Any pictures on Google will confirm this, hence why the seat legs have grilles on them.

My apologies, you're right of course. :oops:

I've looked up some phoos of the interiors and as you say, underfloor heating - you can see the grilles under the seats.

In my defence they have not been my local traction for 4 years, and I didn't take as much note of technical features then.

I must be getting mixed up with some other class as you say, I don't think it's 318s though, I seem to get 320s every time I use the Low Level and haven't regularly travelled in 318s since they were last used on the Largs Branch.

The worst thing about the 314 is the doors are opened automatically which means on a cold or windy day, the train can lose a lot of heat when stopped at stations

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The worst thing about the 314 is the doors are opened automatically which means on a cold or windy day, the train can lose a lot of heat when stopped at stations

That's the only thing I don't like about them, they are still one of my favourite EMUs though.

Fleetwood Boy

Did 314s have passenger operated doors originally like the 313s or had BR given up on that innovation by then?

there was a service from Garscadden to North Berwick back in 2000 when the 318's were supposed to take over the NB Service. Called at all stations via Glasgow Central and Carstairs.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Did 314s have passenger operated doors originally like the 313s or had BR given up on that innovation by then?

At the risk of making another mistake, I going to say no. There are no visible signs of any passenger door controls and everytime I've ridden a 314 the doors have been under Driver control.

Fleetwood Boy

At the risk of making another mistake, I going to say no. There are no visible signs of any passenger door controls and everytime I've ridden a 314 the doors have been under Driver control.
I didn’t think they had it, but the doors do have a plate along the edge in the same place as 313s which I believe covered over the door control when it was removed.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I didn’t think they had it, but the doors do have a plate along the edge in the same place as 313s which I believe covered over the door control when it was removed.

I think I'm risking making another error about the 314s there perhaps. However, I've never known them to having anything but Driver Operated Doors, perhaps the original plan was for passenger operated doors though, maybe?

Fleetwood Boy

I think I'm risking making another error about the 314s there perhaps. However, I've never known them to having anything but Driver Operated Doors, perhaps the original plan was for passenger operated doors though, maybe?
I don't remember them properly in initial service on the Argyle Line, so its possible they had it and it was removed, or they never had it and just had doors of similar design to the 313s but without the passenger controls ever being fitted?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't remember them properly in initial service on the Argyle Line, so its possible they had it and it was removed, or they never had it and just had doors of similar design to the 313s but without the passenger controls ever being fitted?

That's what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.