• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do drivers know if a VIP is on board their train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Was that the Sony TV plant deal?

It may have been. Either I've forgotten or (more likely, I suspect) we weren't told. I guess the Dept of Trade and Industry (was it, at the time?) got hold of someone at PAddington and the order came through. This would have been ..... summer 75, I think. Would that fit the Sony deal, allowing for a year or two before anything was actually produced?

EDIT - Actually, thinking about it now, it was pretty pro-active action by someone in the ministry, probably 'mere' civil servant going the extra mile. Quite possibly an enthusiast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrEd

While far fewer Scottish MPs use the sleeper regularly than is perhaps thought, I did once (about February 2015, in the last weeks of First Group) share a standard class cabin in the Inverness portion of the Friday night down sleeper (always a packed train) with the Western Isles MP, who was travelling back to his constituency via Inverness. I never in my life imagined I would share such an intimate space as a Mk3 sleeper berth with an MP, but he was an extremely pleasant, down-to-earth guy who talked with great knowledge and passion about life in the Highlands and Islands. The sleeper staff (an Inverness crew who knew all the regulars like the back of their hands) did not appear to recognise him, so he could not have been that regular a traveller; certainly the host on check-in did not allude to the fact that ’Mr MacNeil’ was a well known person of any kind. I believe that he was travelling in standard because first was already sold out, and it was very important for him to get back home (to Stornoway) that Saturday. Had a lovely evening with him in the lounge car, talking with him and some other good Highland folk. There was a chilli con carne on the lounge car menu in those days, which the MP enjoyed, although it did make him somewhat flatulent in bed afterwards... I also once shared a cabin on the northbound Inverness sleeper (perhaps around 2014) with the Bishop of Norwich, who seemed to enjoy flicking the light switches on and off during the night... some great stories. Such celebrity company is sadly now no more, as CS have abolished sharing with strangers.

Has anyone else shared a sleeper cabin with an MP/someone famous?

Last edited:

Chris M

Two sets of eyes are better than one...

I'd love to be cynical and say that its because 'they don't trust us' It is often an additional layer of protection. It helps reduce the chance of incidents and should something go wrong, it can be resolved quicker and with someone whos voice may carry more weight that our own.

That’s exactly it. Having the extra pair of hands there means that if anything does develop the driver remains unhindered and able to concentrate on their normal tasks. In a similar fashion to why cab rides will always be accompanied -
even going back to BR days it was practice for cab visitors to be accompanied by a manager, or in those days a traction inspector.

Just imagine if there was some extend fault on the train, e.g. the traction supply changeover failure at North Pole Junction that happened earlier this year. Do you want the driver trying to deal with the fault and all the passengers at the same time? No, you put a competent person on the train who can keep the passengers safe and who has the seniority to find out what is actually happening. Such a shame that normal passengers don't rate this treatment.

Established Member
Just imagine if there was some extend fault on the train, e.g. the traction supply changeover failure at North Pole Junction that happened earlier this year. Do you want the driver trying to deal with the fault and all the passengers at the same time? No, you put a competent person on the train who can keep the passengers safe and who has the seniority to find out what is actually happening. Such a shame that normal passengers don't rate this treatment.

Not everywhere does this, though. I think the policy must vary by TOC.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Please please don’t make this into a DOO dispute... I’m strongly against that method of operation but there’s a time and a place!!

Established Member
Please please don’t make this into a DOO dispute... I’m strongly against that method of operation but there’s a time and a place!!

Agreed! Not my intention at all.

I think it’s a valid point, nonetheless.

Anne Widdecombe (apologies if I’ve got the spelling wrong) was MP for Maidstone. What was she doing on a Friday night in Devon.
Back in my day, MPs from SW constituencies regularly haunted the Pullman service coach F on the evening HS from PAD. Not a whisper of security, but l do remember Anne Widdicombe struggling in vain to close a door against a howling gale at Newton Abbot.

Of course they are. But the original post said “many MPs from SW constituencies” which she wasn’t. But she was prisons minister at one time, so may have been being met for a visit to HMP (Her Majesty’s Prison) Dartmoor.

ExRes

Established Member
Of course they are. But the original post said “many MPs from SW constituencies” which she wasn’t. But she was prisons minister at one time, so may have been being met for a visit to HMP (Her Majesty’s Prison) Dartmoor.

Depends what period you're referring to, after her mothers death in 2007 she bought a property on Dartmoor so anytime after that she would simply be travelling to or from her home

thenorthern

Established Member
Depends on the person and the circumstances, at the last election in 2017 I came across Chris Grayling at Stoke-on-Trent on the platform checking his phone and without any visible police protection, bear in mind he was a government minister at the time.

Celebrities are people at the end of the day so most the time they take the train like everyone else.

irish_rail

Established Member
Anne Widdecombe (apologies if I’ve got the spelling wrong) was MP for Maidstone. What was she doing on a Friday night in Devon.
She's the Brexit party candidate for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, snigger snigger...
I've often seen her on the trains down here. Not exactly what I'd call a VIP mind u...

delt1c

Established Member
I just saw Boris is getting the train from Euston to Birmingham and made a guess he's on 9G06. That made me wonder, do the driver and train staff know if they have a VIP on board or not? Sometimes the Queen takes a scheduled service to Norfolk.

Or would the driver not want to know if a VIP was on board?

Would you be extra vigilant when operating and in control of the train? Not suggesting for one minute you wouldn't be with just the general public.

Just curious.
Why should a politician or anyone else get special treatment. They are no different from anyone else and should be treated the same

A good few years ago when I was a Station Adopter at Horwich Parkway, I'd done "my rounds" and waiting for the next train to Manchester Picc B*ris is dropped off a VW Golf and catches a Class 150 to Picc where he ran up the steps, waving his shirt tail behind him. No doubt looking for a first class seat to London. At the time he was the Editor I believe at the Spectator.

Established Member
Why should a politician or anyone else get special treatment. They are no different from anyone else and should be treated the same

*Most* politicians don’t get special treatment.

Surely the reasons why the prime minister and the queen can never be treated exactly the same as ordinary passengers are obvious?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
A good few years ago when I was a Station Adopter at Horwich Parkway, I'd done "my rounds" and waiting for the next train to Manchester Picc B*ris is dropped off a VW Golf and catches a Class 150 to Picc where he ran up the steps, waving his shirt tail behind him. No doubt looking for a first class seat to London. At the time he was the Editor I believe at the Spectator.

What's a Station Adopter?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's a Station Adopter?
It depends on the Toc who runs the scheme, but generally it is a person or members of a group who have been appointed by a Toc to undertake activities at the station such as litter picking, graffiti removal and things such as maintaining a station garden or flower display & updating a community noticecase. They will also report more serious issues to the Toc that require professional maintenance staff to attend. Working alongside the Toc or a Community Rail Partnership they might organise an action day that could involve doing things like repainting.

EveningStar

Nearly no MPs get security or PPOs.

The PM would have a full detail and so would the leader of the opposition during an election, Other times it would be one PPO.

The minister for defense
Head of the treasury
Minister for Northern Ireland
Home secretary

All get a PPO with the Minister for Northern Ireland getting a full detail. But the thing is you wouldn't know they are there. ....

One would like to think so. However, was once master of ceremonies at a big event where such a person was delivering the keynote and during the speech I amused myself by spotting the detail. Turns out that burly, bum-faced special branch wearing similar suits are very easy to spot in amongst about 2000 academics. Wrong camouflage lads!

Status
Not open for further replies.