• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

do passengers prefer traditional rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I suppose ultimately I want a train that is on time and comfortable (in terms of both seats numbers and padding)

If you look at IC I rate the trains used on the routes I use in this order.
1. IC225
2. HST (not unrefurbished - I don't like the IC70 seats much, ride can be lively and I don't really venture into Great Western often enough to sample the sardine tin)
3. Pendo's (Another one that doesn't like the small windows and chance of having a journey staring at some plastic)
4. Voyagers (My main gripe here is the overcrowding)

Likewise I prefered the 101's to the 153's when they took over in Lincolnshire, mainly because the 153's bought with them gross overcrowding until BR priced off the demand.

The 170 -v- 158 debate for me depends on the route. Glasgow - Edinburgh the 170 is king, its door position suit the route. However I prefer a 158 overall when the distance between stops and volumes entering / leaving the train isn't too high. Scotrail have done an excellent job of the refurbishment. EMT's wouldn't be bad if they had left some space for bags!

I don't miss the slammers on the former NSE routes at all. The electrostars that have replaced them are a lot more comfortable. However I would rather have a seat on a Mk1 than stand on a 377. Likewise give me a seat on a pacer over standing on a 153!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
I am refering to the phone I am using and the fact that I hadnt paragraphed my replies. Anyway back to the topic

adamp

Put you on an exCT 158 onLiverpool-Norwich and you might change your mind :lol::p

There only ****e to ride on because they have been neglected, compare those to Northern refurbed 158's and there a pleasure to be on.
As mentioned above, voyagers and pendo's are nearly the same internally, however I would rather travel on a voyager. Reason being the windows make the carriages feel almost claustrophobic, and seats are so close together! Im 6ft 4, and find myself having to sit sideways sometimes when not at table seats. Thankfully ive never been on one, but sitting like that for 4+ hours on a Glazgow - Euston service it would kill me!
-Adam

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Apparently they were annoyed when they saw the old train, but impressed when they were travelling on it. I suppose this proves that most travellers judge by the looks of trains and equate "modern" and "better".

shinkansen09

Different stock does cause problems to commuters...(especially blonde ones:lol:) I rememer the 373/2 on ECML causing no end of trouble in the rush hour due to people not listening to announcements about the doors and train configuration...(first class in the middle :roll: ) A station stop of 2 mins taking upto 4 or 5 mins ! GNER should have never taken these units into service for the rush hour :roll:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Good point about commuters- a temporary change is chaos! Most commuters (and I know I'm somewaht guilty myself) pass through stations on near enough auto-pilot, especially in the morning. Changes of "usual" platform can create havoc!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think there's any reason why new trains shouldn't be as comfortable as old ones. Some - like the Class 333's or the Electrostars are very good but in many cases the designers are too blinded by sleek style and gadgetry and forget about the basics i.e comfy seat, not too cramped, seats lining up with windows etc. Personally I found the slammers as comfortable as any modern train, sometimes more so, though my sister would agree with the poster who found them drafty!

On another point, what counts as a modern train? I still regard the HST's as modern though this may have something to do with my being born in 1977. I'm loath to admit that they're old as it might suggest that I'm getting on a bit.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I think really that new coaches should be similiar in design as older stock, just more modern/airy. I'd much prefer a mk3 over a unit - however some of the refurbs, fgw for example are hideous, You can't see anything! But at the same time there is a modern feel there. Also alot of people even today still cannot work out how/or are simply unable to open/close a coaching stock door. Mk4's have the right idea for sure.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another old thread - locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.