• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do the old bay platforms at Hull Paragon still get much use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

Looking at pictures of Hull Paragon it amazes me that there has never been any rationalization of the whole excursion platform/bay platform area of the station. I know that the lines around the excursion platforms are regularly used for stabling stock, but I'm surprised that Network Rail has never demolished the excursion platforms and perhaps removed some of the lines to the old bays. I don't know if it's just because the cost/benefit is too small or perhaps they wouldn't be able to utilize the space that would be freed up anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Well It would remove a few points and I thought that perhaps they could fill in the bays and utilize the space for extra passenger facilities.
Removing rarely used points saves almost nothing but costs a lot in reworking the interlocking, and is there a lack of passenger facilities? (Genuine question).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've seen departmental vehicles parked in that part of the station.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking at pictures of Hull Paragon it amazes me that there has never been any rationalization of the whole excursion platform/bay platform area of the station. I know that the lines around the excursion platforms are regularly used for stabling stock, but I'm surprised that Network Rail has never demolished the excursion platforms and perhaps removed some of the lines to the old bays. I don't know if it's just because the cost/benefit is too small or perhaps they wouldn't be able to utilize the space that would be freed up anyway.
Unless it's changed recently my understanding was that Hull is normally full to bursting of units overnight including all the platform bays both those in passenger service and those that are not.

Barnsley

Hull Paragon stables 12 Northern, 4 TPE and 3 Hull Trains units overnight, with all 5 sidings lettered A-E full, and all 6 Platforms full

trawler

These platforms to the Southside of the station (and Station separately) are also Listed especially D and E roads (Historically Platforms 13 & 14) because of their historical importance to handle immigrant passengers from north-west Europe to America during the Victorian and early part of the last century. As stated these platforms are now heavily used which is one reason why Platform 1 is likely to be brought back in to use. More so now since the Botanic Gardens Depot (BG) upgrade which requires additional stabling for stock (Limited at BG although additional siding laid). Yesterday evening for example four units at BG just in the sidings well before the late evening rush so little room there to stable anything else. Some stock will be around more now BG is backing undertaking heavy maintenance.

montyburns56

Removing rarely used points saves almost nothing but costs a lot in reworking the interlocking, and is there a lack of passenger facilities? (Genuine question).

I don't know I was just speculating.

Hull Paragon stables 12 Northern, 4 TPE and 3 Hull Trains units overnight, with all 5 sidings lettered A-E full, and all 6 Platforms full

Ahh right, so they are in full use at times. I still think that perhaps the area could be reworked with the removal of the excursion platform, so they could possibly squeeze another siding in. So when was Botanic Gardens reduced in size so much, was in BR days or later?

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
These platforms to the Southside of the station (and Station separately) are also Listed especially D and E roads (Historically Platforms 13 & 14) because of their historical importance to handle immigrant passengers from north-west Europe to America during the Victorian and early part of the last century. As stated these platforms are now heavily used which is one reason why Platform 1 is likely to be brought back in to use. More so now since the Botanic Gardens Depot (BG) upgrade which requires additional stabling for stock (Limited at BG although additional siding laid). Yesterday evening for example four units at BG just in the sidings well before the late evening rush so little room there to stable anything else. Some stock will be around more now BG is backing undertaking heavy maintenance.

I thought it was the platforms on the North side that were for Europe/America immigration - where the bus station is now and fenced off.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So when was Botanic Gardens reduced in size so much, was in BR days or later?
I am led to be believe that it was the late 1980s when it became a fueling point and somewhere that did A exams only rather than more in depth exams/heavy maintenance.

No later than the May timetable change Botanic is actually expected to get an allocation of 170s based there as their home depot.

dk1

Veteran Member

Lots of people only see the operating railway by day & assume sidings & bays are no longer used whereas on nights every available space is needed.

BeijingDave

Lots of people only see the operating railway by day & assume sidings & bays are no longer used whereas on nights every available space is needed.

And yet over the years a number of termini have been cut back or junction stations rationalised. Probably short-sighted in some cases.

najaB

Veteran Member
And yet over the years a number of termini have been cut back or junction stations rationalised. Probably short-sighted in some cases.
No doubt there have been cases where infrastructure could have found a second purpose, but it's not that common that active stabling locations are removed without provision being found elsewhere.

lincolnshire

I thought it was the platforms on the North side that were for Europe/America immigration - where the bus station is now and fenced off.
The only platforms on the North side was Platforms 1 & 2 as was before re-numbering ( now station car park under station roof ) and horse dock which is where B.T Police office is now on that side in the Interchange. The only other siding was the carriage sidings in them days. On what was Platform 13 & 14 area Network Rail had planned to clear the old platforms etc to accommodate the P.Way & S & T staff that was located behind the wood fence on the North side of the station. This area was required for the station car park and bus parking area in the Interchange, but due to Platform 13 & 14 been listed that idea had to be scrapped and the Network Rail staff was homeless. So since it was a joint planned Interchange with the council the Network Rail staff was finally ( as it was holding up re-development of the interchange area ) re-located to a yard away from the railway across the road from the old Hull & Barnsley station / goods yard in Cannon Street with no rail connection at all.

The ex BRSA club now Tigers Lair club also listed i think was the waiting room etc for the people departing on the trains out of Platforms 13 & 14 to a new life elsewhere.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The only platforms on the North side was Platforms 1 & 2 as was before re-numbering ( now station car park under station roof ) and horse dock which is where B.T Police office is now on that side in the Interchange. The only other siding was the carriage sidings in them days. On what was Platform 13 & 14 area Network Rail had planned to clear the old platforms etc to accommodate the P.Way & S & T staff that was located behind the wood fence on the North side of the station. This area was required for the station car park and bus parking area in the Interchange, but due to Platform 13 & 14 been listed that idea had to be scrapped and the Network Rail staff was homeless. So since it was a joint planned Interchange with the council the Network Rail staff was finally ( as it was holding up re-development of the interchange area ) re-located to a yard away from the railway across the road from the old Hull & Barnsley station / goods yard in Cannon Street with no rail connection at all.

The ex BRSA club now Tigers Lair club also listed i think was the waiting room etc for the people departing on the trains out of Platforms 13 & 14 to a new life elsewhere.

Cheers, that's quite an interesting run down of the local history.

I read somewhere that the bay platforms to the South were part of the original pre-train shed station.

Status
Not open for further replies.