• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

I'm on with an O gauge layout. I'm using Connoiseur stock kits (brass), so far I've built 2 coaches and a N10 Loco. I still have to build a third coach and a Y7 loco. The layout is based on the North Sunderland branch from Chathill to Seahouses. I do not expect to start the track work until winter time this year. I also recently picked up two LNER bogie brick wagon kits (brass), but I need wheels and there is a supply shortage.
If anyone out there can help, do they know the Humbrol paint colour for the coaches, i'm having difficulty finding the information.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm on with an O gauge layout. I'm using Connoiseur stock kits (brass), so far I've built 2 coaches and a N10 Loco. I still have to build a third coach and a Y7 loco. The layout is based on the North Sunderland branch from Chathill to Seahouses. I do not expect to start the track work until winter time this year. I also recently picked up two LNER bogie brick wagon kits (brass), but I need wheels and there is a supply shortage.
If anyone out there can help, do they know the Humbrol paint colour for the coaches, i'm having difficulty finding the information.
Thanks
Can’t help with the paint colours I’m afraid but I’d be very interested to see a photo of the coaches and the N10.
Have you built kits before?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Please wait, normal service will be resumed shortly...

Edit - Sorry about that I posted before I’d finished writing...
I’m currently staring at this collection of bits of cardboard:
1FE1B60A-076F-4F59-8A1C-C4B1D349BD41.jpeg

And trying to work out if:

A) I completely ignore the indecipherable instructions and just build it using the photo and some common sense?
B) I ask Mrs C to do it (she just built a Metcalf garage for me but it had far better instructions and she still found it difficult).
C) I hurl it into the fire and buy something off eBay that’s ready made?
D) I make something from scratch using plasticard which I find easier than using a kit with instructions usually?
E) Argh.
F) That beer probably didn’t help...

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That’s the thing about modelling railways, it’s entirely down to you how far or in what direction you go with it...

I think that's one of its greatest attractions - the 'infamous' Rule 1! (It's my railway, so I'll run what I like ;))

I do love a terminus station, there’s something wonderful about seeing a train pulling out at the start of journey...

I like the grandeur of a large-ish terminus, great opportunities to exploit some architectural prowess, or make a right mess, but space precludes doing any termini true justice.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks

What period are you modelling?

class26

I had ordered a new shed 24 feet x 12 for my latest layout which is based on Forsinard in the far north. Have been preparing the shed base for 2 weeks then all stop due to lack of materials so shed on hold. Dam, 2 weeks more and it would have been here and layout started.

Iskra

Established Member
Just watching demonstration videos of locos fitted with sound is enough to make me want them! MM have a 121 coming out soon sound fitted and it sounds amazing, I can well imagine a 20 or a pair of 20s would be quite a spectacular thrashing away in the house! :lol:

I'm not ready for a pair yet I don't think, one is enough of a handful until I get used to DCC. And yes they, along with 37's are my favourite sounding locomotives. I've just ordered a sound-fitted green 101 from ebay so that will complete my fleet for now, it lets me run all the services I need, but it's only going to be a fairly small end to end layout so I don't want to overfill it with rolling stock and I need to focus on building it first before I get carried away. The first building kits have arrived today so I'm going to crack on with them.

Here is my current (and first) project that i have very slowly been doing over the last year and a half. Currently unnamed it is a modern image 4 platform terminus along with some carriage sidings and a small shed for light maintenance for the local units. Eventually I hope to have 3 main TOCs which are:
GWR - Long distance London services operated by 800's and the odd 2+6 HST and the sleeper service
XC - Extensions to the core service bring Cross Country service up to 3 times a day (220 or 221)
EMT - Local services provided by 15x's, 170's and 2+4/5 HST.
I have also got a tanker train to bring the fuel which is operated by a GBRF 66.

The images below show the station area along with the small shed as well as the lines coming into the station. I am currently working on the wall which will run alongside the staff footpath which goes to the carriage sidings before adding more scenery on both sides.
View attachment 75827 View attachment 75828 View attachment 75829

That looks excellent, once I've got the hang of things I'd like to have a big terminus like that.

That’s the thing about modelling railways, it’s entirely down to you how far or in what direction you go with it...
I’m modelling a real location in a scale that I’ve not really worked with before and I’m just really enjoying the challenge. There’s no rush to get it finished so I just dip into it now and again to relax.
Re choosing stock - I was originally going to do Seaton Junction set around 1988, so I started buying a few things for that (a 33/1, and a triple grey 47/0 plus some coaches), in the end though I changed locations but what I’d bought was perfect for Lapford in the era I was doing.
I’ve since bought things that are perfect for what I’m doing though but then that’s quite straightforward when you’re doing an actual place and I’ve loved doing the research on it.
My biggest investment so far has been this Dapol class 50 - 50032 ‘Courageous’, originally 50037) which I bought through TMC (The Model Centre). They have a customising service and I sent them a file of pictures including the one below that was taken at Barnstaple by our very own @Ash Bridge. They then weathered the hell out of it for me. :)

View attachment 75831 View attachment 75830

I’m waiting for Farish to release their refurbished 31/4 at before I buy another loco. Currently I’ve got a 108 DMU, the 33, 50 and 47, and also a Dutch 37 which are all appropriate for the line.

I don’t know about buying a baseboard ready made. I’ve made my own out of 2” x 1” timber (for the frame), topped with 6mm ply which I got them to cut at B&Q when I bought it.
Unfortunately it’s difficult getting hold of anything at the moment, but the way I work things (generally in life) out is: The price of the materials plus the tools and time needed to make it, vs me just working a day and getting someone else to do it.
Unfortunately this means that I nearly always end up having to do it myself... :lol:

It sounds like you’ve got a decent amount of space to make something really good though. So that’s going to be great.
I’ve listened to a few clips of the sound fitted 20 on YouTube and they’ve really captured it well. It’s a shame I can’t upload a video from my phone because I’d love to show you a clip of my friends 0 gauge sound fitted class 25 that he sent me yesterday. It completely blows me away whenever I hear it running.

I'll get a quote from the DIY shop and see what they say. I'm not a massively practical person (one of the reasons for taking up the hobby again is to improve this) and baseboards are quite a critical part, so I'm not sure I'm ready to be building my own just yet. I do have a back-up plan though. Hopefully, the DIY shop can sort me out at a reasonable price though...

I like that 50!

I had ordered a new shed 24 feet x 12 for my latest layout which is based on Forsinard in the far north. Have been preparing the shed base for 2 weeks then all stop due to lack of materials so shed on hold. Dam, 2 weeks more and it would have been here and layout started.

That's an interesting location, looking forward to seeing that come along!

Basher

Can’t help with the paint colours I’m afraid but I’d be very interested to see a photo of the coaches and the N10.
Have you built kits before?

I have attached 3 photographs for you.
Non of the models have been painted yet and the roofs are not secured on for painting purposes.
I have made sets of seats for the coaches out of plywood and timber to fit in after painting.
Years ago I did some oo scale, just recently got back into it started doing brake vans by Slaters and Peco. Still have them to paint in the near future. I do like building the brass models as they are a bit of a challenge. Now we are in lock down i have a little more time to concentrate on the models.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0453w.jpg
    IMG_0453w.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0451w.jpg
    IMG_0451w.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0452w.jpg
    IMG_0452w.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 10

Basher

What period are you modelling?
It was a line that never really changed, it is going to be 1930s. The N10 never ran on the line as far as I know, so i'm going to build a Y7 which was common on the line.
There is a you tube posting of a oo layout of the line and a pathe film, there never was a station at Bamburgh. Lord Armstrong would have like one , but never materialised as it is to far from the track.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-four-mile-railway

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It was a line that never really changed, it is going to be 1930s. The N10 never ran on the line as far as I know, so i'm going to build a Y7 which was common on the line.
There is a you tube posting of a oo layout of the line and a pathe film, there never was a station at Bamburgh. Lord Armstrong would have like one , but never materialised as it is to far from the track.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-four-mile-railway

While I'm a bit later than 1930s, of all the grouping companies the LNER is by far my favourite. It just seems more interesting in terms of locomotives and coaching stock and to me always seemed to have the most glamorous expresses (I'm sure some will disagree).

Thanks for the YouTube links, made for some interesting watching

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have attached 3 photographs for you.
Non of the models have been painted yet and the roofs are not secured on for painting purposes.
I have made sets of seats for the coaches out of plywood and timber to fit in after painting.
Years ago I did some oo scale, just recently got back into it started doing brake vans by Slaters and Peco. Still have them to paint in the near future. I do like building the brass models as they are a bit of a challenge. Now we are in lock down i have a little more time to concentrate on the models.
Thanks
Those look absolutely amazing @Basher, I’m really impressed with your work.
Thanks for posting the pictures and the YouTube clips too, what a fascinating line.

Basher

Those look absolutely amazing @Basher, I’m really impressed with your work.
Thanks for posting the pictures and the YouTube clips too, what a fascinating line.
If you can get hold of a copy of the Oakwood Press book on the line its good reading,

Basher

While I'm a bit later than 1930s, of all the grouping companies the LNER is by far my favourite. It just seems more interesting in terms of locomotives and coaching stock and to me always seemed to have the most glamorous expresses (I'm sure some will disagree).

Thanks for the YouTube links, made for some interesting watching
LNER is a great .

Established Member
Very nice, that station looks excellent with the roof at the end and I like the buildings you've got at the end above the retaining wall as well.

Going to be a busy layout with all that stock you listed! :)
Thank you :). The buildings at the back came from a toy fair so we're pre made but they do work well at the back. I'm thinking of getting a few more of the houses to fill in some of the gap towards the right.
It certainly is busy at the start and end of each day when more trains run. I do base the timetable off Penzance (minus a few trains) which gives me a nice balance of intercity and regional stock.

That’s amazing considering it’s your first project! You’ve got lots done as well considering how long you’ve taken so far.
I do love a terminus station, there’s something wonderful about seeing a train pulling out at the start of journey...
Thank you :). I had a bit of practice on my old layout parts of the scenery. I do like at the sleeper waiting to depart with the 57 on the front and the station roof in the background.

That looks excellent, once I've got the hang of things I'd like to have a big terminus like that.
Thank you :). A terminus is a good choice for me as I wanted to run longer trains and I had a restricted space. The station was not difficult to build. The platforms and buildings are Metcalfe kits while the roof is a peco? with a special frame so it can span a larger distance between the platforms.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The buildings at the back came from a toy fair so we're pre made but they do work well at the back. I'm thinking of getting a few more of the houses to fill in some of the gap towards the right.
It certainly is busy at the start and end of each day when more trains run. I do base the timetable off Penzance (minus a few trains) which gives me a nice balance of intercity and regional stock.

You've managed to get a good balance I think with your buildings, it looks built-up like a town would be without seeming unduly cluttered and stuffed.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve made this card kit today:

AD6E310B-3FD2-44D0-9126-D39CA356DEEE.jpeg

I really don’t get on well with card kits, I bought it because it was the nearest thing I could find to the pub I wanted to make. I should have just made the pub from scratch though as it would have been more individual.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’ve made this card kit today:

View attachment 75996

I really don’t get on well with card kits, I bought it because it was the nearest thing I could find to the pub I wanted to make. I should have just made the pub from scratch though as it would have been more individual.

That's really good, it just looks so quintessentially like a country pub really! I reckon I'd want one to do an Irish layout justice, no? ;)

(Or maybe five, can't have ebiugh watering holes can you? :lol:)

I've made some progress myself, at least as regards the planning. I also found some stock I forgot I had! 8-)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's really good, it just looks so quintessentially like a country pub really! I reckon I'd want one to do an Irish layout justice, no? ;)

(Or maybe five, can't have ebiugh watering holes can you? :lol:)

I've made some progress myself, at least as regards the planning. I also found some stock I forgot I had! 8-)
Thanks Hexagon.
What stock did you find? I’m intrigued...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks Hexagon.
What stock did you find? I’m intrigued...

Some more Mk3s, a random Hornby Pullman, a Bachmann Cl. 220 Voyager, 3 Mk2Ds and I've noticed some more boxes under the stairs which I'll need to dig out as I suspect there might be more in there! :oops:

I finally decided to fix my modelling period to about 1986/7 and that would be for here and across the Irish Sea.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some more Mk3s, a random Hornby Pullman, a Bachmann Cl. 220 Voyager, 3 Mk2Ds and I've noticed some more boxes under the stairs which I'll need to dig out as I suspect there might be more in there! :oops:

I finally decided to fix my modelling period to about 1986/7 and that would be for here and across the Irish Sea.
Well that’s an excellent era. Up in Scotland you’ve still got classes 26,27,37,47 etc, lots of sector liveries and you could even get away with D200 or some 25s on a railtour.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well that’s an excellent era. Up in Scotland you’ve still got classes 26,27,37,47 etc, lots of sector liveries and you could even get away with D200 or some 25s on a railtour.

Indeed, that's one reason I chose that period rather than the present - the variety is just so much more interesting.

I made up two stock lists to help me decide and the latter was just easier to go with.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed, that's one reason I chose that period rather than the present - the variety is just so much more interesting.

I made up two stock lists to help me decide and the latter was just easier to go with.
It’s surprising how much stuff you need to get to do that era justice. Although it’s definitely easier if you stick to one area rather than trying to do a version of Crewe!

TheEdge

Established Member
Not yet. But I'm collecting again.

I have some old hardware from previous layouts stored away (mainly a variety of LED controllers and the like) and then starting to slowly collect rolling stock along with a z21 from a starter set. Right now its a full length ICE2 (Powerhead plus 7 coaches) and a BR120. So I'm going for a late mid 2010s western Germany layout.

But I'm also saving for a house.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not yet. But I'm collecting again.

I have some old hardware from previous layouts stored away (mainly a variety of LED controllers and the like) and then starting to slowly collect rolling stock along with a z21 from a starter set. Right now its a full length ICE2 (Powerhead plus 7 coaches) and a BR120. So I'm going for a late mid 2010s western Germany layout.

But I'm also saving for a house.
Did you provide a link to a project you were doing a while ago @TheEdge? I remember reading it but I can’t remember if it was you?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s surprising how much stuff you need to get to do that era justice. Although it’s definitely easier if you stick to one area rather than trying to do a version of Crewe!

Crewe would be what I would call a bankruptcy project, you'd need a whole club to do that properly I think!

TheEdge

Established Member
Did you provide a link to a project you were doing a while ago @TheEdge? I remember reading it but I can’t remember if it was you?

Yes a few years back I had a layout in progress but some serious personal stuff happened and it all had to end up on eBay

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes a few years back I had a layout in progress but some serious personal stuff happened and it all had to end up on eBay
Sorry to hear about that. It looked good from what I remember, and you’ve got a lot of talent for it.
Hopefully what you’re planning at the moment will satisfy the itch. ;)

gtis

E494EB4B-52E6-4D4A-A8E4-08051BAC52F1.jpeg BA9F2C10-DA19-41B3-89BC-D93B9B3E4967.jpeg
I’m going for a cold shower now...
That is a wonderful thing @gtis. I think you might have posted something about that a couple of years ago maybe? (I might have misremembered)
Hi cowley
I probably have but I keep adding things to the layout the shed is a recent buy
And a few more locomotives
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.