• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
View attachment 76039 View attachment 76040
Hi cowley
I probably have but I keep adding things to the layout the shed is a recent buy
And a few more locomotives
Neil
Love it Neil.

Running through the available models in my mind it looks like you’ve collected a fair amount of the range (and in excellent condition too by the looks of things)?
I’m completely blown away to be honest.
Isn’t it amazing how well proportioned those models are considering how old they are now? Superb.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adh144004

I started on an N gauge layout 2 or 3 years ago and still keep tinkering, as they say, you never really finish. This is my first effort since the obligatory 6'x4' double oval tail chaser of boyhood.
I chose N because of limited space and even then it's a micro layout with little running scope - more a diorama. Also because of my low budget, lack of any credible wood-working skills and indeed no real tool set - I wanted to try alternative materials. In this area, I was heavily inspired by the £100 Project on RMweb, and all credit to that layout for helping me make a go of my own.
Baseboard is constructed from a stout cardboard box and most other structures use cereal box card, all free - however the fascia was made from mount board which was bought from an art shop.

upload_2020-4-4_15-16-22.png

Edw_2.PNG Edw_3.PNG Edw_4.PNG Edw_5.PNG Edw_6.PNG Edw_8.PNG Edw_9.PNG

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I started on an N gauge layout 2 or 3 years ago and still keep tinkering, as they say, you never really finish. This is my first effort since the obligatory 6'x4' double oval tail chaser of boyhood.
I chose N because of limited space and even then it's a micro layout with little running scope - more a diorama. Also because of my low budget, lack of any credible wood-working skills and indeed no real tool set - I wanted to try alternative materials. In this area, I was heavily inspired by the £100 Project on RMweb, and all credit to that layout for helping me make a go of my own.
Baseboard is constructed from a stout cardboard box and most other structures use cereal box card, all free - however the fascia was made from mount board which was bought from an art shop.

View attachment 76101

View attachment 76102 View attachment 76103 View attachment 76104 View attachment 76105 View attachment 76106 View attachment 76107 View attachment 76108

For a small space, you've got an awful lot going on. It's amazing how much detail can fit perfectly into a constrained space; you've done a grand job there!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 76101

View attachment 76102 View attachment 76103 View attachment 76104 View attachment 76105 View attachment 76106 View attachment 76107 View attachment 76108
That’s wonderful, packed with detail and atmosphere.
Thanks for posting the photos. It just shows what you can do even in a small space.

adh144004

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I am reasonably happy with the outcome, there are always things you could have done better, but that's what trying and learning is all about.
In terms of prototypical accuracy, that wasn't too important, there is no fixed area or period, it was just an exercise in seeing what I could achieve, which bits I enjoyed and which bits frustrated me.
Operationally its pretty limited, it's a single line terminus, in my mind it can serve terminating services and act as a reversing point for others.
In fact the more interesting track work is in the fiddle yard!
Edw_7.PNG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the positive comments guys, I am reasonably happy with the outcome, there are always things you could have done better, but that's what trying and learning is all about.
In terms of prototypical accuracy, that wasn't too important, there is no fixed area or period, it was just an exercise in seeing what I could achieve, which bits I enjoyed and which bits frustrated me.
Operationally its pretty limited, it's a single line terminus, in my mind it can serve terminating services and act as a reversing point for others.
View attachment 76117
I suppose you could also run a nicely weathered class 37 or something similar into the scene light engine (or even with a brakevan) as if it had reversed a train into a siding off scene?
God I love a bit of urban decay! :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 76117

It may be operationally basic with one line perhaps, but you've more than made up for that with the detail and atmosphere.

adh144004

I suppose you could also run a nicely weathered class 37 or something similar into the scene light engine (or even with a brakevan) as if it had reversed a train into a siding off scene?
God I love a bit of urban decay! :lol:

Sadly those three units are all the stock I have in N. Hopefully one day the opportunity (mainly space) will come to allow me to scale back up to OO and build something on which to run some of these which have been acquired over many years :-

IMG_2241.JPG

I have since added a Hornby 155 in Regional Railways WY Metro livery and a Real Track 144 in the later red / silver disc WY Metro livery.
Other than running in, most of these units have yet to earn their scale keep!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sadly those three units are all the stock I have in N. Hopefully one day the opportunity (mainly space) will come to allow me to scale back up to OO and build something on which to run some of these which have been acquired over many years :-

View attachment 76165

I have since added a Hornby 155 in Regional Railways WY Metro livery and a Real Track 144 in the later red / silver disc WY Metro livery.
That’s an impressive collection. What make are the 142s? I’d quite fancy one in chocolate and cream but I’ve never seen an N gauge one.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Glad this thread has been started, as it saves me starting one!

Back in my youth my brother and I had a setup in the loft, and it was pretty good for the age we were at- we even built our own "panel" for operating the electric points... but we both lost interest at around 15/16 because girls became more interesting than "toy trains" (as I started to view them) and football had a bit more street-cred with the lads, alas!
My brother ended up being the custodian of our joint collection, and he returned to the hobby before I did. But last year he took me along to Warley and I've been itching to get back into it ever since... the lockdown seems like the ideal opportunity to get going...

We were always 00 back then, I have contemplated switching to N to save space but that means starting again completely from scratch. On the other hand most of our old models are very dated now- mostly old Hornby and Lima stuff. I'm probably going digital so all the old locos will likely stay in storage.

I'm not going to have a huge amount of space so N is still an option, but then it isn't significantly cheaper for being half-size and as a few others have said, the small scale might be beyond my limited dexterity! One thing the lack of space does mean is that I'm not going to have a big circuit.

As for setting, I'm thinking a modern-ish period (1980s or later) but I have toyed with the idea of having some buildings which I can swap out for different periods. I'm probably going to go for an "alternate history" thing: somewhere like Kirkburton, Holmfirth or Heckmondwike if they'd stayed open. I do want a freight element though, so Clayton West or Skelmanthorpe might be the starting point.

Any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism would be welcomed. In the meantime I'll be working on a Peco Leyland Olympian kit to get my "modelling hands" back up to speed!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Back in my youth my brother and I had a setup in the loft, and it was pretty good for the age we were at- we even built our own "panel" for operating the electric points... but we both lost interest at around 15/16 because girls became more interesting than "toy trains" (as I started to view them) and football had a bit more street-cred with the lads, alas!
My brother ended up being the custodian of our joint collection, and he returned to the hobby before I did. But last year he took me along to Warley and I've been itching to get back into it ever since... the lockdown seems like the ideal opportunity to get going...

We were always 00 back then, I have contemplated switching to N to save space but that means starting again completely from scratch. On the other hand most of our old models are very dated now- mostly old Hornby and Lima stuff. I'm probably going digital so all the old locos will likely stay in storage.

I'm not going to have a huge amount of space so N is still an option, but then it isn't significantly cheaper for being half-size and as a few others have said, the small scale might be beyond my limited dexterity! One thing the lack of space does mean is that I'm not going to have a big circuit.

As for setting, I'm thinking a modern-ish period (1980s or later) but I have toyed with the idea of having some buildings which I can swap out for different periods. I'm probably going to go for an "alternate history" thing: somewhere like Kirkburton, Holmfirth or Heckmondwike if they'd stayed open. I do want a freight element though, so Clayton West or Skelmanthorpe might be the starting point.

Any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism would be welcomed. In the meantime I'll be working on a Peco Leyland Olympian kit to get my "modelling hands" back up to speed!
That’s really good to hear that you’re getting back into it.
My personal observations are this (for what it’s worth):

N gauge vs 00 - Actually we had a thread about getting into N gauge recently which is here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/in-praise-of-n-gauge.184082/

Personally I wouldn’t go back to 00 because I’ve fallen in love with N gauge recently due to the way it’s improved hugely in quality and also the fact of what you can do in a relatively small space.
It ain’t cheap though. I mean it’s a little bit cheaper than 00 but not by enough to swing it on price grounds...
Also because you can fit more in the temptation is to buy more stock, which if you’re building a large through station layout will actually cost far more than a country terminus in 00!

Re old Lima and Hornby locos - They were great (especially Lima) at the time because you could add extra detail, weather them, put crew inside etc because they were fairly indestructible.
Run one now though (say an old Lima 37 next to a modern Bachmann one with lights, etched grilles, separate handrails, sound, all wheel drive, factory weathering etc) and it’s like driving to Scotland in a brand new Ford Fiesta ST and then driving back in a 1987 D reg beige Ford Fiesta with a broken radio. They really are that different...

Any chance of a photo of your Olympian when it’s done? ;)

Edit - I forgot to add that my friends N gauge railway that we’re building at the moment to take to shows is going to be set in two different eras. We’ll do the mornings at the show in steam, and then swap a couple of buildings, vehicles etc for an afternoon doing the late 80s.
I’ve got to buy an identical station building to the one he bought at some point and butcher it by removing the canopy, painting it shabby white (with the odd bit of graffiti) and boarding all the windows up... :lol:

Iskra

Established Member

View attachment 76165

Ah, an excellent collection. Those liveries take me back. I do miss the Northern Spirit 156's on the Settle & Carlisle!

How about Cleckheaton/Low Moor? I believe it stayed open into the very early 1980's for freight purposes? Nothing to stop you applying artistic license and including a small station somewhere.

My collection has now expanded due to this thread, as well as the 03 and 20 I've now acquired a DCC Sound 101 and 4MT and a Jubilee, plus rolling stock and some buildings I need. I'm still not really in a position to acquire baseboards though due to the lockdown. I can build the buildings though and some vehicle kits for my small military depot.

When it comes to getting the baseboards the price then will decide whether I end up doing an out and back or a circular job. The temptation is for a circular one so I can have through running and loops off-scene for operational ease. If I go for that it will be a Scottish single line secondary mainline such as the Port Road or Highland Mainline. Single Line in at each end, but with a passing loop at a station, a small military depot and a distillery.

adh144004

That’s an impressive collection. What make are the 142s? I’d quite fancy one in chocolate and cream but I’ve never seen an N gauge one.

The 142s here are all Hornby OO versions, mostly acquired 2nd hand over the years, the exceptions being the original provincial blue unit which was a boyhood Christmas present - part of my 6'x4' tail chaser, and one of the Northern Spirit units which was bought new as present by my now wife (earlier in our relationship when she still humoured me with these things :lol:)... There are several other livery versions I do not (yet) own - original GMPTE, the later regional railways GM, later Merseryrail, Arriva turquoise and FGW to name some...
By today's standards they're a bit toy-like, but that's no bad thing. As I say, I have one of the Real Track Class 144s and whilst that is a leap forward, amazingly detailed, in a different class (pardon the pun) from the 142s, it is extremely fragile and it makes me wince each time I have to pick it up or try to separate it from it's box.
I understand Real Track are working on an OO version of the 142, not sure if the faux GWR chocolate and cream will be offered however. Similarly in N it was not part of the original Dapol release, but who knows, it may be available in a future release.

I understand your point about having to start again, for me, I am years from being able to model in OO at home, and N was the only way to have a go at this point in my life. I went small, very small, and with just two or three items of rolling stock it's very limited, but otherwise I would not have had the opportunity to do anything. I really enjoyed the experience and learnt plenty that will help in the future.
As mentioned, the current products are priced similarly to OO - certainly not half the price for half the size, but this is understandable, they have just as much detail and realism - amazingly so.
My OO collection which is waiting it's time is mainly older stuff like yours, and yes, it looks it, compared to today's offerings - but not sure I could ever afford to replace it all.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve actually had a fire sale of all my old 00 stuff @adh144004 over this last couple of years and I was amazed at the money I got even for old battered Lima stuff.
I think I pretty much sold everything for more than I bought it for, and it was enough money to start again with N gauge.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
@Iskra on baseboards, it appears that DIY/hardware stores are classed as "essential" services (along with dry-cleaners, which surprised me but that's off topic) so I guess if you also need some lightbulbs you could probably justify a trip out!

I always enjoyed the building of a layout far more than simply running things round and round a circuit, so something like a goods yard where I can shunt will be of more interest to me than having a big circuit with full-length trains. I'm spending the lockdown at my mum's (my dad sadly passed away just before things got crazy, and it's best that neither of us is social-distancing alone) so I'm going to be using a currently unused space in the cellar for my modelling. But I do need it to be portable to an extent, as well as small enough to fit in my flat without dominating the whole place!

My current plan is a simple branch line terminus with a run-round loop, and a few sidings for some sort of freight- probably coal because Yorkshire!

@Cowley the Olympian is going to have to wait until my plastic cement and paints arrive... the kit is a Blackpool Transport outline but I'll probably do it as Yorkshire Traction, West Riding or County Motors to fit in with my setting. I'll probably make a right pig's ear of it anyway so I won't promise any updates as yet!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Iskra on baseboards, it appears that DIY/hardware stores are classed as "essential" services (along with dry-cleaners, which surprised me but that's off topic) so I guess if you also need some lightbulbs you could probably justify a trip out!

I always enjoyed the building of a layout far more than simply running things round and round a circuit, so something like a goods yard where I can shunt will be of more interest to me than having a big circuit with full-length trains. I'm spending the lockdown at my mum's (my dad sadly passed away just before things got crazy, and it's best that neither of us is social-distancing alone) so I'm going to be using a currently unused space in the cellar for my modelling. But I do need it to be portable to an extent, as well as small enough to fit in my flat without dominating the whole place!

My current plan is a simple branch line terminus with a run-round loop, and a few sidings for some sort of freight- probably coal because Yorkshire!

@Cowley the Olympian is going to have to wait until my plastic cement and paints arrive... the kit is a Blackpool Transport outline but I'll probably do it as Yorkshire Traction, West Riding or County Motors to fit in with my setting. I'll probably make a right pig's ear of it anyway so I won't promise any updates as yet!
A cellar!? I can only dream of having a cellar...
I like your plans. I started off with all kinds of ideas, but my friend said try something smaller and use it to practice... Well I started off something smaller and it’s ended up being the best thing I’ve ever made even though it’s in a scale (N) that I hadn’t really modelled in before.
It’s nowhere finished yet but I think it’ll be alright when I’ve completed it, and I’ve realised that after a couple of hours of running trains, what I really like is letting my artistic side run free in creating a kind of 3D moving picture.
I find it very relaxing when I get into it.
It’s just the feeling of doing something for no other reason other than enjoying it...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A cellar!? I can only dream of having a cellar...

so I'm going to be using a currently unused space in the cellar for my modelling. But I do need it to be portable to an extent, as well as small enough to fit in my flat without dominating the whole place!

We've got a cellar, but while it covers nearly the full footprint of the house, the headroom is way too low.

If the cellar was useable, I'd built a proper rendition of a layout nice and big, say 40 feet long or so(!) ;)

One can dream. The beauty of this thread is seeing what other people have done and how they've used the space they have as well as getting some ideas... 8-)

Furrball

We've got a cellar, but while it covers nearly the full footprint of the house, the headroom is way too low.

If the cellar was useable, I'd built a proper rendition of a layout nice and big, say 40 feet long or so(!) ;)

One can dream. The beauty of this thread is seeing what other people have done and how they've used the space they have as well as getting some ideas... 8-)
Less headroom than this?

A model railway owned by Dennis Parker. This railway is located in an underfloor space of no more than 4ft high!! This railway covers a large area with lots of interesting features.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Less headroom than this?

Wow that’s amazing. I love the little secret trap door in the kitchen. :lol: I can’t help worrying about Dennis’s knees though slightly...
Right @hexagon789 there’s no excuse! ;)

Tonight I cleaned up my track properly for the first time since I sprayed it and did the ballast and hooray it actually worked!
I ran my 47 up and down for a bit and kept cleaning up any bits that it was stuttering on and in the end it was running nice and smoothly.

After that I poured myself a beer, posed a few trains around the place for photos and just gazed wistfully at them...

Here’s the 47 picking up some wagons for the weekly trip freight:
7D3A3C69-76A9-447C-99EB-D7AEB6FE4D16.jpeg

And here’s a couple of shots of a 33 on the early morning mail from Barnstaple:
0D45897F-0932-4853-9E48-51F69326EFE3.jpeg 1A60C10B-742C-4231-A7DC-B583C3A51EF8.jpeg

I’ve got to get cracking with some greenery next. It’s looking decidedly brown at the moment.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

The cellar is at my mum's, so I need to bear in mind that anything I build must be (a) somewhat portable, and (b) not so big that it'll take over my own flat once the lockdown is over.

I have now ordered a few things to get started with: a Hornby DCC set and a DCC-ready fitted(!) Bachmann 2-car 108.

@Cowley great photos- I'd never have known that was N-gauge if you hadn't told me... I've decided to stick with 00 though, mainly because I'd be tempted to over-indulge if space was less of a concern!

Need to remember that "DCC-ready" means "ready to be made DCC" not "ready to run on DCC"!

Last edited:

Peter Kelford

I always have some extent of project on the go, I'm currently thinking about what to tackle next - a recycling project of what I've accumulated or an emulation of a training railway with priority given to signalling and suchlike.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wow that’s amazing. I love the little secret trap door in the kitchen. :lol:

I know! I loved that too :lol:

Right @hexagon789 there’s no excuse! ;)

No, there's plenty! ;)

Tonight I cleaned up my track properly for the first time since I sprayed it and did the ballast and hooray it actually worked!
I ran my 47 up and down for a bit and kept cleaning up any bits that it was stuttering on and in the end it was running nice and smoothly.

After that I poured myself a beer, posed a few trains around the place for photos and just gazed wistfully at them...

Here’s the 47 picking up some wagons for the weekly trip freight:
7d3a3c69-76a9-447c-99eb-d7aeb6fe4d16-jpeg.76198

And here’s a couple of shots of a 33 on the early morning mail from Barnstaple:
0d45897f-0932-4853-9e48-51f69326efe3-jpeg.76200
1a60c10b-742c-4231-a7dc-b583c3a51ef8-jpeg.76199

I’ve got to get cracking with some greenery next. It’s looking decidedly brown at the moment.

Coming on nicely there, I like the bridge and the buildings.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The cellar is at my mum's, so I need to bear in mind that anything I build must be (a) somewhat portable, and (b) not so big that it'll take over my own flat once the lockdown is over.

I have now ordered a few things to get started with: a Hornby DCC set and a DCC-ready Bachmann 2-car 108.

I'd ideally like me to be relatively portable or at least easy enough to move.

I need a 107 myself, preferably in Strathclyde Orange/Black...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd ideally like me to be relatively portable or at least easy enough to move.

I need a 107 myself, preferably in Strathclyde Orange/Black...
My new 108 is in toothpaste livery, so not really appropriate for the area I'm modelling... though it wasn't unheard of for NSE vehicles to find their way up north.

As I'm doing an "alternative history" scenario I may turn the red stripe blue, as happened IRL to some NSE carriages when they were moved to the provincial sector.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My new 108 is in toothpaste livery, so not really appropriate for the area I'm modelling... though it wasn't unheard of for NSE vehicles to find their way up north.

As I'm doing an "alternative history" scenario I may turn the red stripe blue, as happened IRL to some NSE carriages when they were moved to the provincial sector.

I have a good few items which need repainted - a 156 into Provincial SuperSprinter, HST into IC Executive (might do an odd blue/grey trailer), some blue/grey Mk3s into ScotRail Express to augment the ones I have in that livery...

Probably more repaints will be required in due course!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I’m going to do a small coffee table (3’ x 2’) layout/working diorama to keep me sane whilst in lockdown. Baseboard arriving this week and cork delivered today. Peco Setrack to keep things simple.

It’s going to be a small yard loosely based on Arpley Sidings. I’ve got a 68, the Europhoenix 37 and a Hornby 66 to get me going.

Scalemodelscenery have got some fantastic bits of detailing I’ll be adding after fairly heavy weathering of track and ballast (given it’s a yard). Couple of Train-Tech signals. Hoping to achieve something similar to Junction Road TMD (photos on Facebook and YouTube).

Status
Not open for further replies.