• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you think First Class is worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
I'm not really comfortable with the notion that people drinking lager on trains are automatically miscreants, and particularly not if the implication is that they didn't have a first class ticket

It depends on the train. On a crowded Thameslink train, which was the example given, most "normal" people will stand in Standard. So people who don't care about rules and are willing to take a chance will sit in First if there's a seat. It doesn't matter if it is declassified First or not. These people just see an empty seat and sit down. There are virtually no ticket checks on Thameslink so it happens a lot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Consider the Swiss network - where (admittedly a very wealthy country) - the standard and usage of 1st class - even on local/ish and regional trains appears to be high.

Because it is affordable. Even if you don't take into account the higher standard of living and the strong Swiss Franc, Swiss first class fares compare favourably with standard off-peak fares in Britain. You get unlimited travel in first class for the whole day for less than £100 if you have a half fare card, which many locals have. After 9am it is only £75. A first class one-way ticket in peak from Zurich to Geneva costs 78 CHF (£60) with a half fare card. That's a similar distance to London to Manchester, which costs £169 Standard, £242 First Class.

Unlimited first class travel on Swiss trains, plus all other domestic transport, for a whole year costs less than a Standard Class Gold Card from Winchester to London.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do I think first class is worth it - sometimes on long distance intercity routes. Certainly not on suburban/commuter routes.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It depends on the train. On a crowded Thameslink train, which was the example given, most "normal" people will stand in Standard. So people who don't care about rules and are willing to take a chance will sit in First if there's a seat. It doesn't matter if it is declassified First or not. These people just see an empty seat and sit down. There are virtually no ticket checks on Thameslink so it happens a lot.

When you do get a ticket check , invariably the lager drinkers or those rolling joints , do not have the appropriate ticket ...

Nothing against lager drinkers by the way , but there is an element of total disrespect when there are plenty of easily found bins on the 700's. Certainly I know people who avoid 1st class on Thameslink because of issues of the like I pointed out.

al78

Established Member
Do I think first class is worth it - sometimes on long distance intercity routes. Certainly not on suburban/commuter routes.

I agree. Especially if on long distance routes you can get a 1st advance, which is sometimes only slightly more than a standard advance. The weeKend upgrade option on Virgin is nice to have, I used that once when the area around my allocated seat was rammed full.

I rarely get the chance to travel 1st class, but when I did on an anniversary trip with my wife to Edinburgh from Oxenholme in July, I really enjoyed it, even on a TPE 350! Actually preferred the 350 to the 1st class on the 390 on the way back.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I rarely get the chance to travel 1st class, but when I did on an anniversary trip with my wife to Edinburgh from Oxenholme in July, I really enjoyed it, even on a TPE 350! Actually preferred the 350 to the 1st class on the 390 on the way back.
I’ve yet to travel TPEX first - what are the complimentaries like?

Status
Not open for further replies.