• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Southern ever use their class 377/6 and 7s on non metro routes?

Whiggism

Hi all, I was wondering how rare 377/6/7s used on the Brighton mainline, and when was the last time they have been used on these routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
I think they did have some booked VIC - BTN work on a Saturday when they first arrived. But as Southern only operate that on Sundays, that doesn’t happen anymore. They’re based out of Stewarts Lane, so all diagrams cycle through there which means they’re less likely to end up on the mainline routes anyway. As the /7’s are now booked on Watford work over the /2’s, that’s another few units that are guaranteed to not be on mainline. I haven’t seen them down there for a while.

MCR247

Established Member
I remember getting a pair on a Victoria - Gatwick Airport when there was engineering works and an hour service was running via Sutton and Horsham

PGAT

Established Member
It’s unlikely they will ever be seen again outside of engineering works. If there were ever a shortage of regular 377s the first trains to fill in would be the 387s from Gatwick Express.

Outside of that I believe there was a 377/6 booked for the East Grinstead line briefly during COVID times

TRAX

Established Member
Is there a particular reason why these ones are stuck on Metro duties ?

PGAT

Established Member
Is there a particular reason why these ones are stuck on Metro duties ?
They’re more optimised for metro routes because of better acceleration, 2+2 seating throughout the whole train and they can more easily form 10 car units

TRAX

Established Member
They’re more optimised for metro routes because of better acceleration, 2+2 seating throughout the whole train and they can more easily form 10 car units
Oh I didn’t know they had better acceleration, why is that ?

king_walnut

Pre-covid, one used to be sent to work the Lewes shuttles from Brighton on football days.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
All the trains regardless of metro and long distance are timed using the same running times if formed of Class 377 or 387, so that makes no difference really.

TRAX

Established Member
All the trains regardless of metro and long distance are timed using the same running times if formed of Class 377 or 387, so that makes no difference really.
Yes but delay recovery is an important factor.

physics34

Established Member
On AC i can assure u the acceleration is slower on the /7s than the /2s for some reason

NSE

Established Member
I’m told rather reliably that the /2’s absolutely fly on AC.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I do recall one particular forum staff jolly not long before the pandemic being conveyed on a pair of 377/6s on a Brighton - Victoria run via Littlehampton due to weekend possessions on the BML.

RichJF

It’s unlikely they will ever be seen again outside of engineering works. If there were ever a shortage of regular 377s the first trains to fill in would be the 387s from Gatwick Express.

Outside of that I believe there was a 377/6 booked for the East Grinstead line briefly during COVID times

They appeared on a semi-regular basis on our line. Think less so after the recent timetable change.

aleggatta

In theory it should be faster, I don't know why it is slower when they have more power
The answer will surprise you, but is slightly technical. TLDR: Only 3 MCMs on AC with a 377/7

Apologies if the sentences get a little long!

On a 377, the AC transformer has 6 pairs of windings, feeding a 4 winding box, and a 2 winding box. one pair of windings goes to each vehicle on a 4 car unit, each pair of windings providing power to all the components on that vehicle via the Line converter Module (LCM) of each coach. The LCM feeds the Auxiliary converter module (ACM) on the driving coaches and the Motor Converter Module (MCM) on all motored coaches. The design of the 5 car was set out to mirror that of the 4 car unit, only with the extra coach (MOSb).

The lack of an extra set of windings to serve the extra coach, results in there being no AC supply to MOSb, and as such on AC the unit only runs with 3 traction packages present. It always puzzled me as to why they couldn't simply double off the same set of windings for MOSa, but its probably a control circuit issue and would require a reasonably large redesign of the underfloor equipment on the PTOSL of the 5 car units to add the necessary contactors, and change the inter-car jumpers on the B end of the coach to carry the extra pair of windings to that coach (which would then make that end of the coach incompatible with the inter car jumpers on the DMOS if the MOSb had to be removed for any reason)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When the Brighton Express services ran I seem to recall they were all 3+2 Metro stock.
Southern have never operated any Electrostars which solely have 3+2 standard class seating.

115 out of 154 of their 4-car units have two coaches worth of 3+2 seating, with a further 20 that have 3+2 seating in between the doors.

The initial use of Electrostars on Brighton Express workings used pairs of 377/3s in 6-car formations, and were among the first services to use the units, actually 375/3s as built.

The first use of low numbered 377/1s was also on this route as they started to be introduced, including 377120 to 377139.

When new, the 377/6s did a lot of London to Brighton work at the weekend, as did 9-car formations of 377/3s immediately prior. Part of this was apparently balancing mileage although also due to what could operate DOO I think as well.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-377-7.93996/page-6#post-1778186

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Very rarely, they've also appeared on the East Coastway. I recall seeing a pair working an ex-Vic service to Eastbourne and boarding one at Hastings for Brighton, albeit both were pre-pandemic.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I've seen a 3+3+4 coach config once on an between-strikes day (24 June 2022) working from Brighton to Victoria using two /3s and one /1 or /4 (I don't know which). I'm not used to anything except 4-car sets working Brighton Mainline, to be honest.

NSE

Established Member
I’ve seen 4x /3’s on the BML. Not sure where it was going. Not frequent but I have seen it at least once.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I’ve seen 4x /3’s on the BML. Not sure where it was going. Not frequent but I have seen it at least once.
It was common for a period so not really surprising. 4 x /3s had booked turns for a while on East Grinstead services as well, in between the 313s arriving and the 10-car Metro happening.