• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does your life revolve around the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex57601

Strangely, London is one of those places I don't get bored of, although admittedly since the withdrawal of the 'slam door' stock the railways there do not hold as much interest for me. I tend to find on my trips there now I spend about half the time on the railways, and the rest looking round the city - there are so many tourist sites, museums and other places of interest to visit I find. I often tend to combine railway trips with other things - for example, when I went to California last month on a 7 day railway trip, I added 3 days on to the beginning so I could spend some time looking round Los Angeles and San Diego. I saw no point in going that distance and spending the entire trip chasing trains - though there are plenty of people who would!

AlexS commented on the social side and at the GCR I think it's very true is very true for a fair number of people. I see a quite a few of my railway friends outside the hobby, be it for a social drink, or even going to see bands together.

I'm in total agreement. There's more to life than the railways and although it's a nice hobby to have, it's one of those hobbies which has the potential to literally take over your life.

As for me, my life revolves around university commitments and the associated aspects to that (especially if it involves interesting eye candy, which there is no shortage of 8-)). I enjoy travelling to new places and I like spending time with my family and friends.

That leads me nicely into one of the main reasons why I'm in to this hobby - the social aspect, and David has hit the nail on the head with this one. The times spent going out on the railways, posting on forums etc has meant that I've met a lot of people who like railways and it's that common mutual interest which means I get on really well with them, and I enjoy doing stuff with some of them that doesn't involve trains like going to the pub.

The people who I've become friends with through railways I hope, and pretty sure of, will be the same for life. Nowadays, it's more to do with who you know that will take you a long way besides what you know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Julian - might want to add 156s to your list there :P

Anyway mine doesn't much anymore, I've given up bashing now as it's all too boring and I'd much rather save money (though many other bashers can't see that point and wonder why I've stopped :s)

I just do the handful of galas, maybe a Railtour, maybe go on a train if I want to go on one I like or I just do Simulators on here otherwise, drive what you want where you want!

cheers,

James.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Julian - might want to add 156s to your list there :P

Aye, not to mention 377s and 444s...

Bing-bong...;):lol:

Anyway mine doesn't much anymore, I've given up bashing now as it's all too boring and I'd much rather save money (though many other bashers can't see that point and wonder why I've stopped :s)

I know you've told me that much already, but I have to admit I find it surprising you could drop the hobby just like that. But then maybe it's because I'm addicted to it.

I just do the handful of galas, maybe a Railtour, maybe go on a train if I want to go on one I like or I just do Simulators on here otherwise, drive what you want where you want!

cheers,

James.

Fair dos, although MSTS will never come close to reality. Still, you're at the top of my guest list for the day when I get to organise a railtour.

djw1981

Established Member
There was the Tyne Valley HSTs; yes I have been all the way to Carlisle/Newcastle for the express purpose of riding along in an HST and managed 4 for the whole day (two returns). Although, I was meeting people from on here and it wasn't bashing as much as you'd have thought. I don't regularly do that, but it was a good day :)

See I;d be very scared and nervous about meeting a crowd of people who all knew each other and whom I did not know... Scared of not being what they expected, scared of them not being what I expected. Scared generally of crowds of people I don;t know but have to interact with. Can you tell why I am sick on the first day of every block.......
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some might take that as an insult.... :lol:

I thought for teenage ppl they liked to be thought of as older, til after mid 20's when you want to be younger. It seems that 22-7 is the age everyone one wants to be :D

David

Established Member
It amuses me that some of the people who answered no to the question actually spend the most time on here and other railway forums! :lol:

Death

Established Member
That's alright for me, I'm 18 so, you know.... ;)
I'm 18 aswell! We should form a club.
*cough* Club 18-30 */cough* :lol:;)

It amuses me that some of the people who answered no to the question actually spend the most time on here and other railway forums! :lol:
Just to answer the original question; I don't really find my life revolving around trains much nowadays. I used to have a near all-consuming interest in XHSR (Mainly based on my belief in the design and potential of the APT-P <D) and the idea of trains managing speeds that would make air travel obsolete and pointless. Though I still dream that someday the speed limits on the WCML will be raised to something that I would consider half reasonable (Somewhere in the 400-650mph range! :shock:), I find that nowadays I don't think about railways nearly as much as I did about six months ago. 8)

Having Asperger's Syndrome, I find that I tend to take a protracted interest in specific things for a certain duration each time, but after a while such interests will normally fade again. At the moment I don't seem to have any significant interest in any particular thing at the moment, and am presumably in the change-over between railways and whatever is next to come. :)

And just to finish off with a rather contrived joke: For the most part, I find that my life revolves in the same way as the Earth - Around the North and south poles! :roll::lol:<D

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Suppose I do really as railways have played an important role in my life for over thirty years plus the fact I have been working on them for over twenty six years.

Nick W

Established Member
I must admit that I'm proud that I haven't touched a train, bus or car for over 6 weeks now ;). I don't miss driving or commuting one bit, though it's not nice when it rains :(.

I still aspire to becoming a railway engineer and follow transport affairs among other news.

Though I still dream that someday the speed limits on the WCML will be raised to something that I would consider half reasonable (Somewhere in the 400-650mph range! :shock:), I find that nowadays I don't think about railways nearly as much as I did about six months ago. 8)

Death would you like me to recommend you a good mechanics text book or give you information on how you can model trains going at different speed on a model railway and scale up to a real life situation?

valentaman

Every day hence I have a BlackBeRry to post what I see keeps me amused!

Railways rule just need a permanent job on them!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
For the moment.. no.
My interest has declined over this year, and it's shown with my lack of photo updates on my railway fotopic.
I've been concentrating more on sorting my life out and being sociable rather than rushing out to get photos of yet another crappy Noseped working. It's also declined as 2008 has been a pretty bad year for me personally with alot of things going on "behind the scenes" which obviously mostly I've kept to myself so I can sort them out.

In any case, there just isn't enough to photo around here, and I can't justify the expense at traveling great distances for just a few hours anymore.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But I love her very much :(
You want the blonde one of the Wilmslow Quartet really ;)

Bayum

Established Member
Erm, yeah

My topic is not being hijacked by you guys =D

Siggi155

Yes and no.

Yes...
I was a railway enthusiast a few years ago when I attended school. But the interest on railways waned as time went by. Now I am working as a train driver. Day by day I'm underway on the magic carpet made of steel and so I can have railway everytime when I'm at work. And I think that's why it is not that much interesting for me anymore as railway was in former times.

And no...
There's another interest for me and this interest is larger than railway. This interest seem to have two buffers at the very front, too. But it is female, loves and kisses me and making me a strawberry cake right now.
Guess what it is? :)

Btw what I'm interested in now are railways of foreign countries, like Switzerland and Italy, Eastern europe, UK and Australia, especially when these are operated by electricity.

Last edited:

class 313

Established Member
There's another interest for me and this interest is larger than railway. This interest seem to have two buffers at the very front, too. But it is female, loves and kisses me and making me a strawberry cake right now.
Guess what it is? :)

A Growler? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.