• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dominion of New Zealand on The Cathedrals Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Was it me or was Dominion of New Zealand being pushed by the class 37 on the rear? I saw it at Retford and it seemed to be revving a bit more than what is normally needed to supply ETS. Did 4492 have a problem, was it because of the hot weather or was the 37 not pushing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomJ93

Or maybe to make Bittern work harder (DONZ is Bittern in disguise!) they had the 37 pulling a little? :lol:

TGVDUDE

Was it me or was Dominion of New Zealand being pushed by the class 37 on the rear? I saw it at Retford and it seemed to be revving a bit more than what is normally needed to supply ETS. Did 4492 have a problem, was it because of the hot weather or was the 37 not pushing?

Is there a bank where you viewed the tour, ETS loco's usually give a push where the gradient increases

ryan125hst

Established Member
I saw it at Retford leaving platform 1. I don't know whether or not there is a bank, but I have seen several steam locos at Retford before including Bittern (the loco that Dominion of New Zealand until recently being renamed/ repainted), Sir Nigel Gresley, Tornado, Oliver Cromwell and Princess Elizabeth. Most of the time, they don't even have a diesel on the rear (and either use steam heat or a generator coach) and they always seem to be fine. It is strange that it appears to be having assistance.

There are some videos of it on You Tube (I have seen one of it leaving Retford and another at Hadley Wood) and you can hear the diesel revving.

Yes, I think 4492 did have a problem. It was cut up around the late 60's-early 70's. ;)

Also the 37 wont have been providing ETS, as it isnt fitted with it and WCRC dont yet have any 37/4's in service. The one involved with yesterdays trip was a 37/5 which are non-ets.

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes the 37 was assisting/pushing due to the fire risk so 4492/60019 did not have to work so hard.

Teaboy1

Yes I believe I can back that up..........there was a definite heat-haze out of both exhaust stubs indicating that diesel was doing "something" other than idle when passing Rossington. Its on my video and shall eventually post it when I can find time ..... but most of lineside and cereal fields are greenish at the moment and not likely to catch fire despite virtually nil rain. Probably helped footplate crew not having to work so hard on a really warm day also..........but makes you think about old days when 1 fireman had to shovel 8 ton KX to York in all weathers....including hot summers...!!

Bittern

Established Member
I saw it at Retford leaving platform 1. I don't know whether or not there is a bank, but I have seen several steam locos at Retford before including Bittern (the loco that Dominion of New Zealand until recently being renamed/ repainted), Sir Nigel Gresley, Tornado, Oliver Cromwell and Princess Elizabeth.

I want to see Princess Elizabeth! :(

Rich_D3167

Yes, I think 4492 did have a problem. It was cut up around the late 60's-early 70's. ;)

Also the 37 wont have been providing ETS, as it isnt fitted with it and WCRC dont yet have any 37/4's in service. The one involved with yesterdays trip was a 37/5 which are non-ets.

Even if it was a Class 37/4 on the back, it wouldn't be providing ETS for a 13 coach rake, as 37/4's only have an ETS index of 30 (good for 6/7 Mk1/2's max). If ETS was to be supplied to this train, you'd need something with a bigger ETS supply, like a Class 47/7 or a Class 57/6.

I believe 37516 was assisting 4492/60019 due to the recent dry spell to minimalise the risk of lineside fires, although when I saw the train northbound at Fenwick level crossing (north of Doncaster), only 4492/60019 was powering, 37516 ticking over on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.