• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

Antman

Established Member
Do you think it was a wise thing for one of the most powerful people in the world to do? I'd ask if you agree with what he tweeted but you already said you don't even know what it is you are defending.

How many more times? I'm defending his right to retweet what the hell he likes and I'd say the same about anybody else. This thread says more about some of the contributors than it does about Donald Trump.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Well quite, I don’t think any British person can pour scorn on the electoral system in the USA when we don’t vote for our own head of state or the head of our own government.

We don't have a perfect system. However, if we implemented the American system here the North East might vote for overwhelming for Labour and then 5 persons make go to Westminster to cast votes on behalf of the North East and one of those five person might vote Green party (regardless of how many votes the Greens got) simply because they don't like Corbyn and the Greens are an alternative left leaning option.

fowler9

Established Member
How many more times? I'm defending his right to retweet what the hell he likes and I'd say the same about anybody else. This thread says more about some of the contributors than it does about Donald Trump.
So we are on a thread about Trump, you answered nothing I asked and just had a grumble about people criticising Trump. What does this say about me more than Trump supporting far right groups says about him? Please astound me. Just read the title of the thread again, do it slowly and let it sink in. If you are happy with his tweets I think it says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about me.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
So we are on a thread about Trump, you answered nothing I asked and just had a grumble about people criticising Trump. What does this say about me more than Trump supporting far right groups says about him? Please astound me. Just read the title of the thread again, do it slowly and let it sink in. If you are happy with his tweets I think it says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about me.

I have answered what you ask. Frankly I couldn't care less about his tweets, I'm not as obsessed about him as you obviously are, he is free to tweet what he wants just like everyone is.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I can't see much point in going and over the same thing, I've made my position clear.

Yes, let me directly quote your position sticking up for the President of the USA broadcasting misleading, inflammatory and Islamophobic content from a hate organisation:

as long as it's not illegal I don't see the problem.

But...

This thread says more about some of the contributors than it does about Donald Trump.

At least this seems perceptive.

Antman

Established Member
Yes, let me directly quote your position sticking up for the President of the USA broadcasting misleading, inflammatory and Islamophobic content from a hate organisation:

But...

At least this seems perceptive.

I'll try just one more time.

I haven't even seen the tweets but I'll defend his right to say what the hell he likes regardless of whether I agree or not, just as I would about anybody else.

He is answerable to the electorate.

fowler9

Established Member
I have answered what you ask. Frankly I couldn't care less about his tweets, I'm not as obsessed about him as you obviously are, he is free to tweet what he wants just like everyone is.
You haven't, do you think it is appropriate for the leader of the USA to share tweets which are racist and factually incorrect? Yes or no will do. You are right, he is free to but is it appropriate?

Antman

Established Member
You haven't, do you think it is appropriate for the leader of the USA to share tweets which are racist and factually incorrect? Yes or no will do.

That is your opinion of the tweets, maybe other people see them differently? Like I've said I don't know how many times I've not seen them.

The self righteousness on here is staggering!

fowler9

Established Member
That is your opinion of the tweets, maybe other people see them differently? Like I've said I don't know how many times I've not seen them.

No, your ignorance is staggering. How can you call me self righteous about something you admit to having not seen?

Darandio

Established Member

Much of the sane world has displayed the same opinion. Not seeing the tweets and making these defences is what is staggering.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'll try just one more time.

I haven't even seen the tweets but I'll defend his right to say what the hell he likes regardless of whether I agree or not, just as I would about anybody else.

He is answerable to the electorate.

He has the legal right to say whatever he likes. Correct. Nobody is saying he does not have that right. Why have you popped on to this thread to state this very obvious fact which was not actually in dispute?

What people are saying is that it was entirely the wrong thing for him to do - that’s the proper thing to say; that’s what reasonable and right minded people say to the idea that the President of the USA broadcasts fake, inflammatory and Islamophobic material from a hate group.

Are people not allowed to say that the President of the USA shouldn’t have retweeted a racist hate group, without appearing in your words, “self righteous”?

Do you not see the problem with what Trump did?

Antman

Established Member
He has the legal right to say whatever he likes. Correct. Nobody is saying he does not have that right. Why have you popped on to this thread to state this very obvious fact which was not actually in dispute?

What people are saying is that it was entirely the wrong thing for him to do - that’s the proper thing to say; that’s what reasonable and right minded people say to the idea that the President of the USA broadcasts fake, inflammatory and Islamophobic material from a hate group.

Are people not allowed to say that the President of the USA shouldn’t have retweeted a racist hate group, without appearing in your words, “self righteous”?

Do you not see the problem with what Trump did?

Like I said he is answerable to the electorate.

Now if you don't mind I won't be commenting any further on this.

najaB

Veteran Member
Apparently, Trump's visit early next year to open the new US Embassy has been cancelled.

Bromley boy

Established Member
There's something very, very sinister indeed about a POTUS who lowers himself to criticising a criminal trial verdict (over Twitter) to score political points.

I reckon this is a new low and is further confirmation (as if any were needed) that Trump has no regard whatsoever for due legal process.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...l-of-mexican-migrant-in-murder-case-08qpc50jz

A furious President Trump has denounced a San Francisco jury who found an undocumented Mexican immigrant not guilty of murdering an American woman two years ago.

Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, 45, was acquitted of the murder of Kathryn Steinle, 32, who was shot in the back as she walked along a crowded San Francisco pier with her father in July 2015.

The case became a political touchstone for the immigration debate during last year’s US presidential election because Zarate was a convicted criminal who had previously been deported from the United States five times.

Mr Trump, who frequently referred to the case as a justification for his hardline stance on illegal immigration, and has described Mr Zarate as “this animal, that shot that wonderful, that beautiful woman in San Francisco” tweeted his disapproval of the verdict last night. “A disgraceful verdict in the Kate Steinle case! No wonder the people of our Country are so angry with Illegal Immigration,” he said.

fowler9

Established Member
Like I said he is answerable to the electorate.

Now if you don't mind I won't be commenting any further on this.
Your insight will be missed. Never have I come across anyone who insisted on people's right to say anything whilst actually having nothing to say.

TheNewNo2

You haven't, do you think it is appropriate for the leader of the USA to share tweets which are racist and factually incorrect? Yes or no will do. You are right, he is free to but is it appropriate?

That they are factually incorrect is not opinion, it's objective fact. The same applies to most things Trump says - they are lies. Not simply misstatements, but outright lies.

The GOP is a party of liars, and every elected official has debased themselves to coddle someone who is racist, sexist, and probably also a sexual assaulter and paedophile.

History, if we still have one, will not look kindly upon us.

najaB

Veteran Member
On December 4, 2017, President Donald Trump ordered a major reduction in the monument's boundaries, reducing its size by 85 percent. Conservationists plan to challenge the legality of this action in federal court.
To expand on @Groningen's post, the parks in question are the Bear Ears National Monument and the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Park. tH

Trump shrinks Utah monuments angering environmentalists
President Donald Trump has dramatically scaled back two public outdoor parks, or national monuments, in Utah.

He declared an 85% cut to the state's 1.3m acre Bears Ears National Monument and a 50% cut to its 1.9m acre Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

Native American tribes and environmental groups say they will file lawsuits against the policy.

But it will be welcomed by ranchers and business interests who view such monuments as federal land grabs.
Particularly strange to me, coming from a US President, is this quote:
"Some people think the natural resources of Utah should be controlled by a small handful of very distant bureaucrats located in Washington. And guess what, they're wrong," Mr Trump said.
Which isn't exactly helping to unite a largely divided nation.

EM2

Established Member
P45 now intending to detonate a metaphorical bomb under the Middle East peace process:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42250399
An expected announcement by President Donald Trump that the US will become the first country to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital has been dubbed a "kiss of death" for the Middle East peace process by the Palestinians.

But an Israeli minister urged other countries to follow the US lead.

Mr Trump, expected to confirm the decision later on Wednesday, described the announcement as "long overdue".

"Many presidents have said they want to do something and they didn't do it."

The president's remarks came ahead of his planned speech in Washington.

Mr Trump will also start the process of moving the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

The two decisions - which would fulfil a campaign promise and appeal to Mr Trump's right-wing base - risk a heated reaction from US allies in the Muslim world and, potentially, protests and unrest.

They also make it difficult for the US to be seen as a neutral mediator in the Middle East peace process.

Pope Francis called for the status quo in Jerusalem to be respected, in line with United Nations resolutions.

Up_Tilt_390

According to this article in The Independent (as always to be taken with a pinch of salt) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...real-fake-jayda-fransen-true-us-a8082541.html

video claiming to show a Muslim migrant attacking a Dutch boy on crutches
The first of the posts included the message "Muslim migrant beats up Dutch boy on crutches!" It included a video that appeared to show two men, initially talking but then fighting, with the boy on crutches eventually ending up on the ground.

That video was initially posted in the Netherlands earlier this year. A man was arrested for the attack, and the police asked for the video to be taken down from the Gumpert news site, where it was first posted, according to a police press release.

Gumpert's sister site, Geenstijl, has posted an article mocking Mr Trump for choosing to re-share the video. In it, the site claims that the man involved in the attack was neither a Muslim or a migrant, and it mocked the President for ignoring that to launch an Islamophobic attack.

Post depicting the killing of a boy
The most shocking and intense of the videos depicts a boy being beaten, thrown from a high platform, and apparently killed. It was posted with the message "Islamist mob pushes teenage boy off roof and beats him to death!"

That video was taken in 2013 and actually shows a group of men beating a young cleric who was a critic of Mohamed Morsi, the former president of Egypt. It was taken soon after Morsi was deposed, amid violence and unrest that marred the country that year.

The footage went viral across the country and then the world soon after it happened. And in 2015, at least one man was executed for the killing, and the perpetrator Mahmoud Ramadan became the first of many to be executed for their part in that violence.

Video showing Virgin Mary being destroyed
Another video showed a man holding a statue of the Virgin Mary, speaking to the camera, and then throwing it down on the floor. The tweet read "Muslim Destroys a Statue of Virgin Mary!", and while that is true, the footage was taken in the middle of a conflict.

Numerous, old unconfirmed reports online suggest that this happened in Syria. The man shown smashing the statue is a cleric who was filmed some time after al-Nusra extremists broke into a Syrian town, according to those messages.

I went on his Twitter, and trust me I didn't enjoy it, just to see if they missed anything, and it doesn't seem like they did. Trump doesn't have much to defend himself with really, because if he's being truthful when he says he didn't know who Jayda Fransen was, then he just looks like a misinformed twit who doesn't check his sources before posting (no surprise there). So the tweets aren't strictly factually incorrect because, well, they exist, but they're twisted in their context to present a different meaning, which honestly doesn't surprise me from the deputy leader of Britain First, a group known to actually attribute fake quotes to people who didn't say them. It was an act of plain stupidity if he really didn't know who he was re-tweeting, and that doesn't surprise me with Donald Trump. Not racist, not sexist, just stupidity at best, casual yet deliberate bigotry at worst. You decide.

Up_Tilt_390

Someone's trying to trick Donald Trump on Twitter sending him a Tweet claiming to be from Britain First saying "Terrified shoppers look on as migrant menace fight turf war in UK shopping centre" and showing an inflatable hornet falling over and hitting an Asian worker at a shopping centre in Indonesia.
https://twitter.com/British_First/status/938317935873011712

Send that Hornet home! He's a menace to our society! <:D :p :lol: