• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Draughtiest stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Clansman

Established Member
Crewe and Perth.

Even worse when travelling by sleeper between the two.

Honorable mentions for Dundee and Queen Street Low Level as well.

Howardh

Established Member
Until they built the new waiting room on 1/3 at Bolton, it took a mountaineer with full extreme weather equipment to sit in the previous waiting room, which was a gap between two platforms which anyone walking past opened the sliding door, even if they weren't entering! It was appalling, and is still there...however the new waiting room is much better. Still, AFAIK, unheated, but less draughty.

Grantham

York can get quite cold, but then again the automatic doors to the waiting rooms are constantly opening with people going out or coming in.

gazr

My vote would be South Bermondsey. Apart from being near The Den, it's not a particularly nice station to be on at any time, let alone when it's windy.

Matt_pool

Liverpool South Parkway - it's okay in the main councourse with it's cavernous roof, but go up to the footbridge to get to platforms 1-4 it's really badly designed. The platforms are partly covered, but it's like a wind tunnel on them and when it rains you just get wet, so people with half a brain wait up on the footbridge, even though it's freezing up there.

On the other side of the concourse is the walkway/footbridge to get to platforms 5-6 and it's also freezing along there. They have installed a sort of waiting room at the top of the steps and lift to platform 6. It has glass walls and glass sliding doors. But it also gets freezing in there and wind somehow gets, not helped by the doors sliding open when ever someone walks within a couple of metres of them, making it a pointless waiting room. Down on platforms 5-6 it's partially covered, but again it's like a wind tunnel and when it rains you get soaked.

ian1944

Holytown - ugly, dangerous and bleak. The only redeeming feature is that trains stop there so you can leave, but the prior experience is absolutely dire.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

SussexLad

My vote is for Haywards Heath due to the covered platforms there being elevated up above street level.

See i thought that, then I remembered when I was waiting for a train at ascot in the middle of a storm at night. All the waiting rooms locked because its unstaffed at that time and virtually no where to hide.

So my vote (strangely) goes to Ascot.

Springs Branch

Established Member
I remember several freezing cold waits at the "old" Sandhills station - nicely positioned as it is to catch a bracing breeze off the Mersey.
I don't remember being so cold in recent times since Merseyrail have modernised it, but maybe I've just been luckier with the weather.

ChrisC

Established Member
Mansfield. High up at the end of the viaduct above the town.
Worksop also not good, if travelling from Mansfield and waiting nearly an hour for a connection to Sheffield.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Post #83 and I’m the first person to suggest Portsmouth & Southsea High Level....

SussexLad

Post #83 and I’m the first person to suggest Portsmouth & Southsea High Level....

Thats really not that bad. Theirs the guan sheltered roof and if waiting for a long time you just wait at the bottom of the stairs.

Rather entertainingly majority of people who use the station regularly have figured out that if you stand behind or in front of the lift, dependent on direction, its not that bad

hermit

Ryde Pierhead in a gale takes some beating. Fortunately you don’t normally have to wait there very long, and if you do there’s the Costa in the Wightlink terminal to retreat to.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Carlisle, Preston & Crewe always stick out for me.

Sheffield can be a bit chilly. The waiting room for P2-5 doesn't exactly do much to shelter you from the cold either.

On the continent, I can remember being absolutely freezing on the platform at Mechelen (BE) as the platforms seemed to be very exposed indeed. At least the waiting rooms were warm enough.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Sheffield and East Midlands Parkway always seem to be chilly and windy.
Sheffield definitely suffers from the problem of people walking past the door sensors constantly causing them to open to let any warmth out and freezing gales in. Why not push-buttons as EMR put in at Leicester?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Blackfriars for me. Really cold when the wind blows along the Thames. The Glass side walls don't reach the roof so the wind comes across the platforms and tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.