• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver called customer on platform 'complete idiot' at Denmark Hill (27 Oct)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thruud

Well done to the driver.

The railway is a safety critical environment, there's no time for people to stop and compose a polite message, the quicker and more forcefully something comes out of someone's mouth, the more chance the other person has of avoiding an injury or death.

Distance is also an irrelevance, a few millimetres in the wrong direction is enough to get caught in a door and dragged under a train, a mm in the wrong direction risks blowing you into the next world when working with AC and DC electrification.

While I fully agree with you, particularly on some tube stations where people stand dangerously close to the edge, I think its fair to say there was genuine bemusement on the platform for his first announcement - the yellow line there several feet wide, and the chap in question was less than 2ft over. Had he been on the very edge or near to it, I'd have had total sympathy - I'd also have had considerable sympathy if this happened every day. Instead I've seen the platform far busier, with far more people much closer to the physical edge and well over the line and the train has still left without difficulty.

While I am sure there are many circumstances where it could happen, I am struggling to think many sets of circumstances where someone standing still could be sucked under a then static train slowly pulling out when he is still several feet away from it (I am keen to be educated though!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
While I am sure there are many circumstances where it could happen, I am struggling to think many sets of circumstances where someone standing still could be sucked under a then static train slowly pulling out when he is still several feet away from it (I am keen to be educated though!).

All it takes is a headphone cable or a bag strap to be caught in a door, it causes a passenger to lose their balance and whether it's 1mph or 125mph, getting any part of you dragged into the space between a train and platform edge is going to result in some significant injuries. The human body never, ever, ever comes off best when fighting against 40 tonnes of carriage.

leaffall

What? Now you're being silly. No one said anything about being "sucked under" did you not read what myself and a few other drivers have said above being able to see the platform/train interface from the cab? Didn't you not read what I wrote about items being caught in the door? Just because you could see he was clear doesn't mean the driver could. And whether the train pulls out slowly or at full power either way once it's under way the only thing that will stop it in the event someone was being pulled along is a pass-com

No one is saying he was right to call him an idiot, but stop devaluing the importance of safe despatch

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
plenty of time to compose a polite message.

...which the driver had, and was ignored. The blunt message got him to shift.

thuud said:
the yellow line there several feet wide, and the chap in question was less than 2ft over.

The yellow line isn't there to make the platform look pretty.

You weren't the one in the headphones were you? Because you're getting awfully hung up on this if you're not.

Antman

Established Member
Well done to the driver.

The railway is a safety critical environment, there's no time for people to stop and compose a polite message, the quicker and more forcefully something comes out of someone's mouth, the more chance the other person has of avoiding an injury or death.

Distance is also an irrelevance, a few millimetres in the wrong direction is enough to get caught in a door and dragged under a train, a mm in the wrong direction risks blowing you into the next world when working with AC and DC electrification.

Yes but wouldn't "the person with the headphones on" have been slightly more appropriate?

thruud

[
What? Now you're being silly. No one said anything about being "sucked under" did you not read what myself and a few other drivers have said above being able to see the platform/train interface from the cab? Didn't you not read what I wrote about items being caught in the door? Just because you could see he was clear doesn't mean the driver could. And whether the train pulls out slowly or at full power either way once it's under way the only thing that will stop it in the event someone was being pulled along is a pass-com

No one is saying he was right to call him an idiot, but stop devaluing the importance of safe despatch

Sorry - sucked under not right phrase - several posters earlier on cited people going under trains as a result of being too close to the edge. Thats what I am referring to as I genuinely don't understand how standing a couple of feet away, nowhere near the doors will cause that to happen. More to the point, trains routinely leave that station every day in busier circumstances without comment or problems.

I fully get the importance of safety - I've written in the past to train companies to praise their staff when I've observed train dispatch going above and beyond to put customer safety first, which even I as a casual observer spotted was exemplary behaviour.

Also, edit to add, that no I wasn't the person with the headphones on. I was at the end of the platform from the driver and watched it occur, so I had a good visibility of the guy, where he was standing and what people did. Also, why couldnt the driver just say 'could someone please ask the guy 3rd carriage down with the headphones on to step back please as he's holding the train up. Same message, just as effective, far more professional?

Why has this bugged me? I guess its because its highlighted the lack of good jointery between station / train staff (e.g. the failure of the station to deal with it before it became a problem), the fact that I place a high emphasis on professional conduct and believe that the way you conduct yourself reflects on how you do your job - getting frustrated doesnt reflect well on the individual. Finally its because the railway remains an often perplexing beast that isnt good at explaining why it needs to work the way it does - people on the platform did not understand why they had to move back, and its about effectively getting a message across that means people understand how they can help make trains run on time.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
the driver in significant frustration made an announcement on the tannoy going 'will someone get the complete idiot with the headphones on, third carriage back, to move back'.

Yes, totally unacceptable. I believe the correct term should have been "the self-centred, utter moron".

Antman

Established Member
...which the driver had, and was ignored. The blunt message got him to shift.

The yellow line isn't there to make the platform look pretty.

You weren't the one in the headphones were you? Because you're getting awfully hung up on this if you're not.

Quite honestly I think you're the one getting awfully hung up about this. In any case wearing headphones does not make somebody an idiot
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, totally unacceptable. I believe the correct term should have been "the self-centred, utter moron".

Are you as judgemental about everyone?

For pitys sake all the bloke has done is listen to his music through headphones :oops:

455driver

Veteran Member
While I fully agree with you, particularly on some tube stations where people stand dangerously close to the edge, I think its fair to say there was genuine bemusement on the platform for his first announcement - the yellow line there several feet wide, and the chap in question was less than 2ft over. Had he been on the very edge or near to it, I'd have had total sympathy - I'd also have had considerable sympathy if this happened every day. Instead I've seen the platform far busier, with far more people much closer to the physical edge and well over the line and the train has still left without difficulty.

The yellow line 'several feet wide', really?
He was 'less than two feet over it's, so basically about half of the safe distance away from the train!

You would probably change your viewpoint if you had to deal with these self important idiots on a daily basis, the yellow line is there for a reason and any railstaff who decide it doesn't matter could end up in Court, perhaps you would like to stand up in Court and say 'it doesn't really matter' to the Judge!
No, thought not!

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Quite honestly I think you're the one getting awfully hung up about this.

Coming from the person who introduced 'gross misconduct and instant dismissal' to the thread? How very apt!

This thread is just another case of the molehill taking on an extremely rapid growth spurt.

Antman

Established Member
Coming from the person who introduced 'gross misconduct and instant dismissal' to the thread? How very apt!

This thread is just another case of the molehill taking on an extremely rapid growth spurt.

Calm down eh!!

I said in many jobs calling a customer an idiot would mean instant dismissal, ok?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Aldaniti

Is it acceptable for a driver to be publicly identified, and allegations made without the slightest corroboration? Putting the rights and wrongs of this to one side for a moment, I find it quite disagreeable that one person is able to make comments on a public forum that could have an effect on the livelihood of one individual. If you have a gripe, write to the TOC concerned and deal with the matter privately. When a Merseyrail guard was jailed a couple of years ago, matters such as this took on a new dimension.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't see any reason for this thread to continue at the present time as it's just descending into pointless arguments. A reminder that if you see posts which you think violate the Forum Rules please report (
report.gif
) them to the Staff Team and if appropriate we will take action.

This thread is locked and if anyone has anything substantial or new to add please feel free to contact any member of the Staff Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.