• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers hours??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rush476

As title states. How do drivers hours work? Southern is 35hours per week 4days a week. So how would this go?
Thank you
Rush :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB25

As title states. How do drivers hours work? Southern is 35hours per week 4days a week. So how would this go?
Thank you

It is rostered over a certain period... So one week you might work 32hrs, the next 38hrs, then a 42hr week etc. It all evens out to 35hours a week. Rest Days are Mon & Tues, Weds & Thurs, Fri & Sat with a long weekend off between your Fri-Sat and next Mon-Tues. Sundays are a bit sporadic. At the moment mine seem to be work a Sunday, skip a week, work a Sunday then skip 3. :)

You work one week Earlies, then Lates and so on (usually a week or few days at least) of Nights thrown in every third late week or so.

PeteH

FGW (LTV), works a 3 week cycle: We,Th,Fr, Sa,Su*,Mo,Tu,We,Th,Fr,Sa,Su*,Mo,Tu,We,Th,Fr,Sa,Su,Mo,Tu,

Red=work, Blue=rest days

Works out as 4 working days/week + 1 Sunday in 3 paid as overtime (optional but someone must volunteer to cover else you have to work it as per the roster). Evens out to exactly 35 hrs/week over the course of 2 pay cycles (8 weeks), seldom more than an hour either side of 35hr/wk taken in isolation.

*either may be rostered, depending on whether one is switching from earlies to lates or vice-versa. Almost unheard of for people not to have a Sunday uncovered by a willing O/T volunteer, I know drivers who've never worked a Sunday in years. Sunday isn't counted as part of the working week for hours (and thus, importantly, pension)

Generally one works a week of earlies, a week of 'mids' (as I call 'em - generally ~09:00-18:00), and a week of lates. Some choose to request permanent earlies or lates, which can be 'socially convenient', and/or an aid to doing predictable overtime.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Thank you

Most TOC's are using the same pattern, the only ones I know of that have a different pattern are ATW (Cardiff) and Chiltern

Emilymay86

Id like to know about GA depot drivers shift patterns and hours too please anyone?? Thanks

DB Driver029

Just to add that Drivers Hours vary between Train operators. Likewise Drivers conditions. Passenger TOCS and Freight TOCS also have very different conditions which affect Driver Hours.

dk1

Veteran Member
GA (Anglia) drivers work a 35hr week but not necessarily a 4 day week. Occasionally it's 5 due to variable shift hours. Norwich, Ipswich & Liverpool St all work to slightly differing rosters.

I can't speak for Great Eastern or West Anglia as they have very different agreements to us which can include annual leave built into the link rosters.

Polar

I must admit to being quite surprised by the above rota. I had assumed that train drivers would have very strict rules on hours and days worked.
Mainly the 7 day stretch which would never be allowed for hgv drivers under tachograph rules.

W230

Established Member
I must admit to being quite surprised by the above rota. I had assumed that train drivers would have very strict rules on hours and days worked.
Mainly the 7 day stretch which would never be allowed for hgv drivers under tachograph rules.
There are still strict rules. You cannot work more 13 days in a row. You cannot work more than 12 hour days (with no driving after the 11th hour?). You cannot work more than 72hours in a week neither can you come back to work for a safety critical shift less than 12hrs after finishing your last shift. I think... :lol:

455driver

Veteran Member

So you are saying that HGV drivers are not allowed to work 7 days in a row are you!

Did they change the rules then?

455driver

Veteran Member
Im not sure if the rules have been changed in the past, but ive been a class 1 driver for 7 years and its always been a 6 day maximum before taking your weekly rest.

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules

So I do earlies for 6 days (Sunday to Friday), take the minimum 24 hours rest and start again Saturday night for 6 consecutive nights before having a well earned weekend off!

Perfectly legal as well! In practice it would only be 4 nights but there is no legal reason not to work 12 days in a row as long as they are short working days and you squeeze the breaks to their minimum.

Polar

So I do earlies for 6 days (Sunday to Friday), take the minimum 24 hours rest and start again Saturday night for 6 consecutive nights before having a well earned weekend off!

Perfectly legal as well! In practice it would only be 4 nights but there is no legal reason not to work 12 days in a row as long as they are short working days and you squeeze the breaks to their minimum.

hello

Tbh I hadnt thought about it like that so yes it is legal.

I dont believe most hgv employers would want their staff working that many days on the trot due to fatigue, although in general haulage your pretty much worked to your maximum driving hours whenever possible weekly rest is very rarely reduced.

As it is we have a driver who has only just got out of hospital and will never drive again. He fell asleep while driving on the Peterborough by pass overturning the lorry, he spent 3 months in intensive care and very nearly died. Didnt help that he wasnt wearing his seat belt!

You would still have to average 48hours working time over each week and 90hours driving time over each two week period. As well as having to repay reduced weekly rest by the end of the forth week.

All drivers I know work a minimum 9 hour day but in reality its between 10-15 hours daily. We also all have set start times and our union would never allow a change from day to night shift in any consecutive days.

So yes it may be legal but in practice unlikely to ever happen.

455driver

Veteran Member
It was just a hypothetical example that it was possible and not an indication of what some drivers work, those shifts might be legal but they would be extremely tiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.