• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers kit bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johncleesefan

What must a driver carry with them at all times?
I am handling now as a trainee driver and receive different information as to what I must have on my person and what I must have access to all times (ie company locker) I will be clearing it up with my line manager but would be interesting to hear drivers thoughts?

Person:
Won,
Traction key,
Br1 and 2 key,
T key,
Pts and drivers licence,
Route maps and traction Manuel,
Forms (rt3185 and non multi and prep)

Access to:
Rule book,
Company rule book,
Sectional appendix,
Other relative information (seasonal weather)

Any comments welcomed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member

Person:
Won, - Access to. You can book on without it and pick it up at another location. Hence every depot has stacks of them.

Traction key, - Gotta drive the train somehow :) Oddly I don't believe this is a MUST have by definition

Br1 and 2 key, Same as above but I've never see a Br2 key so again its not essential. I could easily book on without it and still drive my unit up and down all day without a problem.

T key, Again maybe unit specific and not "essential" to drive with.

Pts and drivers licence, - Totally agree. PTS is part of your licence and the new Euro Licence needs to have the counterfoil part. I believe your Licence is a MUST have and you must be able show it on demand.

Route maps and traction Manuel, - Routes should be in your head and that why you sign for them. It shows required knowledge. Also the new licence has your route card. Not sure on the Traction manual as we were told it was required but its rare to have and no one says a thing.

Forms (rt3185 and non multi and prep) Hmmm. I keep mine and your kit bag does sound like mine but forms are not essential and can be filled in after your duties.
Access to:
Rule book,
Company rule book,
Sectional appendix,

Any comments welcomed

You forgot.
Lamp
HVV
Watch
Bio Bag
Sunglasses
Spare prescription/Railway issued glasses
Hearing aid if required (new regulations allow their use)
Phone (new requirement but not "essential")

I'm not sure but I think that the only required equipment is. Lamp/Vest/Licence Possibly everything else is TOC specific.

"essential" equipment is that you cannot book on without and would not be allowed to drive your unit without.

Interesting topic and one that comes up at our TOC frequently.

theironroad

Established Member
Mug
Brew kit- tea bags, coffee, milk etc
Knife, fork spoon, t spoon - in some mess rooms, you really want your own
Power pack or USB charger - all that phone use drains the battery
Paper or reading material when stuck at a red for hours waiting for mom to wind the points manually

Anything else is excess baggage....

TDK

Established Member
I am handling now as a trainee driver and receive different information as to what I must have on my person and what I must have access to all times (ie company locker) I will be clearing it up with my line manager but would be interesting to hear drivers thoughts?

Person:
Won,
Traction key,
Br1 and 2 key,
T key,
Pts and drivers licence,

Access to:
Rule book,
Company rule book,
Sectional appendix,

Any comments welcomed

If you are handling now as a trainee surely you must have been trained on what you need to carry with you? If not your training must have been poor to be fair.

tlionhart

Traction key - ideally carry 2 of these

Traction manual (should also contain PDP and ARB) not quite sure if it's region specific but mine has all 3 in it)

Forms- need to carry late notices with you in addition the WON. (Which you mentioned) Although you can now receive the WON online as an environmental friendly way. ..so perhaps the training package needs updating to reflect this? So kind of access to. (I've always been told to carry it, it's your pon you don't need. As that's in your S.APX) also the won contains useful telephone numbers, so helps to have it. Also need RT3185 forms, which you complete with the signaller

PTS (you carry the book as a trainee and complete it when you go on and near the line) as a qualified driver you no longer get the PTS card. It's just a driving license and counterpart.

IPP book

TOC light and watch

Hi viz

Safety shoes

Trainee log book

I personally carry a few notes. Like air flow diagram, problems and a list to solve common faults. I.e engine not starting up, etc (I do carry the fault book, but the list is quicker to read) I also carry a few modules from the rule book so my 'spare' time isn't wasted. ;)

Your list is correct though, you carry the correct stuff. Also don't forget gloves and all of which the ironroad mentions. :D

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
If you are handling now as a trainee surely you must have been trained on what you need to carry with you? If not your training must have been poor to be fair.

Indeed considering one of the questions on the rules exam would have been what kit must you have with you when you sign on.

Johncleesefan

To clear up. As posted above is the way I have been trained. So no shortage of poor training thanks very much.

As you may appreciate, the railway mess room is a place where people talk and various others have been saying you don't need all that rubbish out with you.

Then I decided to take to the forum to find opinions on what other carry. Usual suspects chip in and have a dig.

JohnFM

Can you read what the OP is asking, please? You misread a post more often every week.

They did not state "I have no idea what's in the bag" and they clearly know what should be in the bag but is simply asking for other people's ideas.

The OP clearly stated that they have received different information and is clearing it up with the line manager but would like to hear others thoughts.

Maybe those little extras to add to a bag means a good day rather than a crappy one as you look for a teaspoon in a mess room that has not been used to pick up cat poo or find it indispensable in the future to bring gloves, especially in the winter.

They will never know if they rely upon your comments, which are purely criticisms, will they TDK? You could try just helping instead of judging.

Last edited:

scott118

Over time, you will decide for yourself what is essential to your wellbeing out on the road. Everyone is individual, and to be fair, some like to portray that they are mavericks who carry nothing, when in fact they've got more than they care to admit. Tailor your bag to suit, that's what your locker is for, surely..

Dave1987

On Moderation
Can you read what the OP is asking, please? You misread a post more often every week.

They did not state "I have no idea what's in the bag" and they clearly know what should be in the bag but is simply asking for other people's ideas.

The OP clearly stated that they have received different information and is clearing it up with the line manager but would like to hear others thoughts.

Maybe those little extras to add to a bag means a good day rather than a crappy one as you look for a teaspoon in a mess room that has not been used to pick up cat poo or find it indispensable in the future to bring gloves, especially in the winter.

They will never know if they rely upon your comments, which are purely criticisms, will they TDK? You could try just helping instead of judging.

The question was what must a driver have with them at all times. Not what do others carry around with them as well. It is a fundamental part of rules training to know what you must have on you.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Person:
Won,
Traction key,
Br1 and 2 key,
T key,
Pts and drivers licence,

Access to:
Rule book,
Company rule book,
Sectional appendix,

Any comments welcomed

What's WON short for?

Minilad

Established Member
Regarding publications we are now issued with a tablet that has all relevant publications loaded on to it and is now allowed to be used instead of carrying round all those heavy books. Certainly makes the bag a lot lighter!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Regarding publications we are now issued with a tablet that has all relevant publications loaded on to it and is now allowed to be used instead of carrying round all those heavy books. Certainly makes the bag a lot lighter!

Tablets must be way better then printed versions of the various publications as you must be able to quickly search for what you need

Johncleesefan

Indeed I did ask the question, then I go on to answer that question (see original post ) with what I was taught in class, wrote in my exam and then got a tick for in my exam.
You cant be stranger to common old chat from the railway canteen. This is the location where I am hearing people laugh that I'm carrying a lead weight on my back lol. Now I'm still playing along. The way I was trained. I take to the forum to see how others do it. Course been the internet......nuff said

Minilad

Established Member
Indeed I did ask the question, then I go on to answer that question (see original post ) with what I was taught in class, wrote in my exam and then got a tick for in my exam.
You cant be stranger to common old chat from the railway canteen. This is the location where I am hearing people laugh that I'm carrying a lead weight on my back lol. Now I'm still playing along. The way I was trained. I take to the forum to see how others do it. Course been the internet......nuff said

You will soon find out what you feel comfortable carrying when out and about on your own. Don't worry about what others think, everyone has different ideas about what they want or need.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tablets must be way better then printed versions of the various publications as you must be able to quickly search for what you need

They are yes. Even a crappy Samsung thing that often has "issues"
But in the main they are a good thing that helps keep the bag weight down (Or allows more space for essential tea making equipment)

Lincoln_biker

A few extras. Not compulsory in all cases depending on your FOC or TOC and/or company policy, but I carry these as well as what's already been mentioned:

Quail maps
Wagon airline elbows
Ear defenders
Air pipe o rings
Adjustable spanner
Dust masks
222 / (835?) keys
Loco key
Wagon key
First aid kit
Hard hat
Head torch

Last edited:

tlionhart

Weekly Operating Notices I think, hopefully a driver can confirm?

That's correct. Basically a WON contains the weeks on going engineering works. (Where a speed restriction is imposed over a section for a reason.) for example; line speed 125mph at happyland JNC will be reduced to 50/100mph. Due to track defect)
-you read that (if you sign that route) and alter your driving accordingly to that section.
Contains lots of other stuff, including useful numbers, etc. (it's a network rail published book for drivers stating repairs, etc comes out weekly and has EVERY track/route in your region/part of the country)

I understood johns post and thought there's some rude remarks in response. Just do what training tell you to carry and you won't go wrong. (One DI may say 'don't need that' then a comp manager asks to see it...you certainly don't want to be on the wrong side as a trainee)
I've supplied a list of stuff I carry.

driver9000

Established Member
TW1 rule 21 tells you the equipment you're required to carry. Your company may add to this though.

In my traps are:

HV vest
Spare keys
Maps of complex areas I may be required to shunt but don't as a routine
Traction manuals
Brew kit and cutlery (flask, mug, tea bags etc)
Set of RT3185 and report forms
Lamp
WON
Sunglasses

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member

I suggest you get off my back John and answer the questions in your own manner and not worry so much about what I have to say. It is simple, you get trained on what you need to carry, you get assessed on what you need to carry, if someone says you don't need it when the rule book or your training says otherwise don't take any notice and follow what the rules and local rules tell you - it's simple really.

The OP quoted a question "What must a driver carry with them at all times?" the key word is "MUST"
To clear up. As posted above Is the way I have been trained. So no shortage of poor training thanks very much. As u may appreciate, the railway mess room is a place where people talk and various others have been saying you don't need all that rubbish out with you. Then I decided to take to the forum to find opinions on what other carry. Usual suspects chip in and have a dig. ??????

Sorry if you found my post inappropriate but you did ask "What must a driver carry with them at all times?" and for you ask this question and you are handling your training should come into question if you do not know what "MUST" be carried. However there are many things that will help you carry out your duties that and not a necessity that you "can" carry.
I carry:-

Keys - all types I will need
HV Vest
Lamp
Won/Pon
Traction Manual
PPE
RT3185 forms
Local agreements
Diagrams
Maps of busy areas
GSMR log in signal numbers
APIS codes
Updates to systems
Flask
Cup
Coffee making stuff
Tea bags
Water bottle
Pee bottle
Baby wipes
Cleaning cloths
Allen keys
Note book
Pen
Route guides with all LC/Junctions/mileages/Signal boxes/Stations/ etc.

Not all of these is a must but it gives you idea of what differences there are on what different people carry with them - and yes my bag is heavy

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Johncleesefan and traction Manuel

...are they by any chance related, or was that a completely coincidental auto correction?

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
If people believe my comments and others to be "rude" and unhelpful then so be it. The OP made out in the question that they didn't really understand what kit they need to carrying around with them. For me if someone has passed their rules exam that is not something that should need clarification. You carry everything you are required to regardless of what the mess room talk is. Again if people believe this is rude and unhelpful then so be it.

Johncleesefan

But Dave, it's not a case that I don't understand what I must be carrying with me, I even stated right after what my company instruction was. I came here to see what others carry (other tocs/different regions etc etc etc) and my company instruction states all publications but not where they need to be

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.