• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers question on the GWR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richieb1971

Established Member
Unlike most railways in the UK, your line is strictly an East West affair.

I drive to work west and come back east to get home. The sun is a major problem for me in the car if I work nights around this time of year because the sun is always just above the horizon blazing its rays right into my eyes. Then I finish a shift and head home and there it is again, blazing in my eyes from the East.

I can't imagine that is very nice driving HST's back and forth with the sun always right in your face. I can imagine you do a lot of days where its always in front of you. Does the cab have facilities to deal with this problem? Can you always see the lights clearly?

Perhaps I can learn something from the railway so that I can see better myself.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
I cant answer for gwr drivers but I remember there being delays on the metropolitan and Piccadilly line caused by winter sun sets and sun rises as drivers couldnt see the signalling or opo cameras.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The where the sun rises and sets isn't constant. It will move from north east/north west to south east/south west over the course of six months an then drift back again. I'm not sure GWR drivers are any more or less affected by this phenomenon than drivers on any number of other road or rail routes really.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Signals can be an issue. The sun was once directly behind us on the Western approact to Swindon which meant it looked like the feather was lit up on the signal just before the station (aspect was red). The driver had to stop and check which route he was to go on.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I cant answer for gwr drivers but I remember there being delays on the metropolitan and Piccadilly line caused by winter sun sets and sun rises as drivers couldnt see the signalling or opo cameras.

Does that make it a safe method of working then?

theageofthetra

On Moderation

Happens daily on DOO services. Cheap cameras & monitors.

philthetube

Established Member
Does that make it a safe method of working then?

Safe yes, hence the delays, drivers know where the signals are and if the aspect cannot be seen there are actions to be taken. when you get close to a signal you can almost always see the aspect, if not you apply the appropriate rules according to signal type.

Similarly, at least on the underground, if the opo cameras are not giving out a clear view you can depart if you can see the full length of the train by looking down it and you feel comfortable, if not you MUST have a second, (or more if needed) before departing. I no one available on the station then you sit and wait

Envoy

Established Member
Presumably the problem of sun in the eyes would be less for London based GWR drivers than those based in the west. (The London based drivers would be setting off in the morning with the sun behind them).

Due to the lower altitude of the sun in winter, sun glasses are presumably required more in the winter than the summer.

Nean

If I'm remembering correctly wasn't that deemed to be the cause of one of the 80s/90s GWR accidents (Ladbroke Grove)? Driver couldn't see the signal aspect so hit an oncoming train.

matt_world2004

Established Member
If I'm remembering correctly wasn't that deemed to be the cause of one of the 80s/90s GWR accidents (Ladbroke Grove)? Driver couldn't see the signal aspect so hit an oncoming train.

Believed to be a factor in the ladbroke grove disaster however it would never be established due to both drivers being killed in the incident,

pompeyfan

Established Member
Are sunglasses allowed? ( genuine silly question)

They're company issue for our TOC drivers, so I'd imagine it's the same across the industry. Interestingly (if you can call it that) guards are forbidden from wearing them, even though they'd be useful for dispatch at times.

rd749249

We have this problem coming into and out of GEML and especially with OLE as it is, I have sometimes seen what I think is a wrong route indicator when all it is is the sunlight reflecting on an oblique structure above. Our units have visors and our company issues tinted spectacles to help overcome this. If you're not sure, you kill your speed, stop or double check before you move, sometimes even getting out of your cab if the signal is on the platform.

NHG66

Sunglasses are allowed, GWR issue them to their drivers but you can use your own ( I have prescription ones) as long as they meet the railway standards for tint etc.

On the GW main line between Paddington and Reading, sunlight can be a problem at certain times of the day but the trains are fitted with blinds that you can pull down which certainly help. The biggest problem I find is when using DOO equipment such as mirrors and monitors, in certain light conditions these can be very hard to see so you need to be careful and use alternative despatch methods.
HTH

theageofthetra

On Moderation
For the new EU licence there is nothing to stop a driver using prescription sun glasses as long as they are tested by the medical provider to comfirm they meet standard. What aren't allowed are photochromic 'reactalight' type glasses

That said each TOC is different in how they interpret this rule.

6Gman

Established Member
For the new EU licence there is nothing to stop a driver using prescription sun glasses as long as they are tested by the medical provider to comfirm they meet standard. What aren't allowed are photochromic 'reactalight' type glasses

That said each TOC is different in how they interpret this rule.

What's the reason for this? I use reactive lenses for eye health reasons - they do have a "dampening" effect on certain colours but I notice this with butterflies rather than traffic lights! :D

richieb1971

Established Member
When the sun hits the windscreen a certain way, do you get those effects where it picks up every little nick in the windscreen and magnifies it to the point where you cannot see through the windscreen? In the car, spraying it with water makes it even worse.

quarella

As someone who has lived in the south west and south wales all my life, and sun visors/blinds used to leave fair sized gaps I am used to squinting

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Wasn't there some SPAD training video featuring some Valleys driver who left his sunglasses in the washroom, so pulled the blind down and passed a semaphore at danger? (Might have been a colour signal, I forget now. Was on a 143 IIRC)

Mugby

Established Member
I'm sure I read somewhere that in the past, this is why the peaked cap was part of the uniform, the peak acted as a sun visor.

richieb1971

Established Member
It sounds like GWR drivers cope with this problem rather well. Nobody has stated anything to suggest they have problems on a daily basis.

So the answer is sunglasses, visors/blinds. On a very rare occasion a SPAD happens as a result or the trains are halted until the signals can be read (per the link near the top).

Thank you for all your replies :D

driver_m

Established Member
I imagine it'll be a pain for TPE drivers too as they're predominantly east west. We have the same problem on the Holyhead services with low sun.

Sunglasses are allowed as long as they have a particular EU number reg on them. Cant remember what it is.

Reactolites don't actually seem to work in cab either. The windscreens seem to stop them working as intended for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.