• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers! What have you failed trains for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Do they take trains out of service when the heating doesn't work in one of the passenger sections?

Very unlikely to take a train out of service for a lack of saloon heat. There is no provision in the Rulebook for saloon heat.

Lampshade

Established Member
No heating, wheel flats, coolant leaks, poor brakes, no headlight, flat batteries, failed wipers, defective vigilance, sunflower stuck on black, roof leaks, blood on the floor following a fight, failed compressor (frozen), failed horns...

...are just some of the things Northern commuters experience on any given morning :lol:

Bon Accord

No, I've never heard of it as pax isn't safety critical.

I can just imagine what some of the old boys I knew from 60A and who were used to running tender first in Winter with nothing but a cab sheet for shelter would think of such things - some of them even thought that the new fangled Diesels (Sulzer Type 2) with totally enclosed cabs were a bit 'unmanly', and hence ran with cab windows open much of time.
When I first went to sea it was insisted that Watchkeepers remained outside regardless of the weather - the cold/wet ensuring that they remained awake and alert. If it was cold, you wore a thick coat, scarf and headgear. Quite amazingly, such an ensemble worked...

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Do they take trains out of service when the heating doesn't work in one of the passenger sections?

As has been said earlier, no, as no saloon heat does not affect the safe running of the train. I would think that passengers would be a lot more annoyed about their train being cancelled than it running with a cold saloon.

Once around 2003 I was on a train from bradford to todmorden. The train was a Arriva Trains Northern 150/2+155 combo. The (unrefurbished) 150 however was locked out and the guard said it was due to the heating not working. So it can happen.

es373

Heating not working. Cab or saloon?

As stated if its saloon then its a rarity.

es373

Well ill take your word for it.

Chances are it was something else and the other problem caused heating to go when it was tripped/isolated. But having said that this was ATW.

They are a funny bunch!

Established Member

They do for a lack of lighting - either get them to move to a carriage that has lighting or just fail the set and get it repalced.

es373

They do for a lack of lighting - either get them to move to a carriage that has lighting or just fail the set and get it repalced.

I can understand lighting being one as for pax safety. I.e - CCTV with insufficient lighting....oops :)

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Smoke coming from the motors of a greyhound (had two greyhounds) when coming back from Pompey in the leaf fall in the 1990's...Refused to work it past Guildford...It turned out it had seized motors on one of the units.They stuck an ED on it at Guildford.Wheelskates and empty to Wimbledon at a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.