• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS - Trainee Train Driver - London (13/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seejwalker

Hi mate,
I'm in the same boat as you. Conditional offer for Rugby depot starting in May. The vetting and checks seem to take a while!
Have you received a date for a medical?
There’s a few of us for the London depots at the contract stage.

It’s been a pretty long process with minimal contact from anyone and lots of waiting with very little in terms of progress updates.

Just hang in there and it will all fall together.

I think this is a first for the company, so logistically it must of been tough.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdrianM

Is there anybody else with a supposed start date in January still waiting for an exact start date and official contract? I tried to contact them on email but got no answer.

Seejwalker

Is there anybody else with a supposed start date in January still waiting for an exact start date and official contract? I tried to contact them on email but got no answer.
Yes mate, there’s a few in the same boat at present.
Supposed date of the 3rd, no contracts yet. But I know they are being sorted

golfsareus

Hi mate,
I'm in the same boat as you. Conditional offer for Rugby depot starting in May. The vetting and checks seem to take a while!
Have you received a date for a medical?
No date for a medical yet no, now having to pass the security which will take at least 6 weeks by the looks of it. you heard anything about medicals yet?

Seejwalker

No date for a medical yet no, now having to pass the security which will take at least 6 weeks by the looks of it. you heard anything about medicals yet?
I wouldn’t be surprised if they get our course in January going, then start working through those for May.

Billyray83

Need to be patient I’m afraid. Recruitment can be a slow process in the railway. For those starting soon, the 2 trainers from Carlisle are good guys and you will be in good hands. I believe it’s a big intake of new drivers so I would suggest just going with the flow have a good positive attitude and soak up as much info throughout your training. I am sure you will all have long and enjoyable careers at DRS. It’s a good company. Going through some modernisation currently, but shouldn’t effect any new drivers.
Good luck

Seejwalker

Need to be patient I’m afraid. Recruitment can be a slow process in the railway. For those starting soon, the 2 trainers from Carlisle are good guys and you will be in good hands. I believe it’s a big intake of new drivers so I would suggest just going with the flow have a good positive attitude and soak up as much info throughout your training. I am sure you will all have long and enjoyable careers at DRS. It’s a good company. Going through some modernisation currently, but shouldn’t effect any new drivers.
Good luck
Appreciate that mate. You’re a driver with DRS?

Billyray83

Yes been a driver with DRS for a few years now. Though not down London area. DRS treat their drivers well in my opinion, but others may not agree. That’s life. As I said have a good attitude and most importantly don’t try and wing it if you are not sure. Ask the questions or get things clarified If you are not sure. Develop good habits and they will help you when things don’t go to plan. one Thing for sure is don’t get cocky. This job will bite you in the bum if you think you have it sussed and train driving is easy. Where is everyone going to be based?

Seejwalker

Yes been a driver with DRS for a few years now. Though not down London area. DRS treat their drivers well in my opinion, but others may not agree. That’s life. As I said have a good attitude and most importantly don’t try and wing it if you are not sure. Ask the questions or get things clarified If you are not sure. Develop good habits and they will help you when things don’t go to plan. one Thing for sure is don’t get cocky. This job will bite you in the bum if you think you have it sussed and train driving is easy. Where is everyone going to be based?
I’m a signaller and see where being cock sure gets people on a daily basis.

I love knowledge and learning as much as I can. I never stop trying to, so that won’t be an issue.

I’m heading to Willesden along with a few others.

Can you give any insight to a typical shift for you, from leaving home to getting back, maybe even an idea if rosters?

Billyray83

Every depot has different links. 4 day week for all drivers across the company. O/T available if you wish. Quite a few weekends off compared to other FOCs and TOCs. But this can change when new links produced. only rostered 1 Sunday in 3 (so in a 9 person link only 3 booked Sundays). If you are working at weekend then generally time off midweek. Shifts can vary from very early shifts eg 3am starts, day shift, back shift, night shifts. Hours on duty can vary from 7 hrs -11 hrs. Generally work a train to a point, have a break, work a train home again or drive a pool car. Spare turns - phone control to see if you are needed if not stay at home with your phone on.
shift work can take a bit of time to get used. You could have different start and finish times all week

Seejwalker

@Billyray83 appreciate that. There’s a lot of terminology I need to get my head around that we don’t really use as signallers (at least not in my area).

Links is a term I hear a lot but don’t really understand it’s meaning.

Back shift? I assume this is the equivalent to a late turn for me (early, late, Night).

Thanks again,
Chris.

baz962

Established Member
@Billyray83 appreciate that. There’s a lot of terminology I need to get my head around that we don’t really use as signallers (at least not in my area).

Links is a term I hear a lot but don’t really understand it’s meaning.

Back shift? I assume this is the equivalent to a late turn for me (early, late, Night).

Thanks again,
Chris.
Links is just a different term for rota/roster.

Seejwalker

Links is just a different term for rota/roster.
Thanks Baz, I assumed as much as in signalling we have A Link, B link etc….
But, well… you know what they say about assuming.

I take it depots can have multiple links too?

LRV3004

Thanks Baz, I assumed as much as in signalling we have A Link, B link etc….
But, well… you know what they say about assuming.

I take it depots can have multiple links too?
Yes, different depots have different links - some are simply numbered while others are named (SCO, Thunderbird etc). All depends on depot!

Seejwalker

Anybody mind disclosing earning potential? Can PM me if preferred.
I’d be taking a considerable drop in pay moving from signalling to Driving. So wondering what’s achievable as a driver.

Oiecomehere

Every depot has different links. 4 day week for all drivers across the company. O/T available if you wish. Quite a few weekends off compared to other FOCs and TOCs. But this can change when new links produced. only rostered 1 Sunday in 3 (so in a 9 person link only 3 booked Sundays). If you are working at weekend then generally time off midweek. Shifts can vary from very early shifts eg 3am starts, day shift, back shift, night shifts. Hours on duty can vary from 7 hrs -11 hrs. Generally work a train to a point, have a break, work a train home again or drive a pool car. Spare turns - phone control to see if you are needed if not stay at home with your phone on.
shift work can take a bit of time to get used. You could have different start and finish times all week
Hello mate, thanks for the information, i am going to be based in tilbury, what short of routes do they do? Just curious.

Billyray83

Hi, earning potential probably varies from depot to depot. I do know some drivers 80K +. But they probably spend more time at work than at home. Fatigue levels will be higher If you are working lots of rest days. I also work with drivers that do no overtime. Personal choice.
sorry don’t know much about Tilbury work. Looks like jobs to Daventry and Willesden, but I don’t know what is involved.

Seejwalker

Hi, earning potential probably varies from depot to depot. I do know some drivers 80K +. But they probably spend more time at work than at home. Fatigue levels will be higher If you are working lots of rest days. I also work with drivers that do no overtime. Personal choice.
sorry don’t know much about Tilbury work. Looks like jobs to Daventry and Willesden, but I don’t know what is involved.
Thanks for this mate. £80k isn’t too bad.
I’ve spent the last 3 years living at work and managed to pull in a crazy amount of money.
The switch from signalling to driving for me is about bridging that gap and finding a balance of earning more for just doing my contracted hours in equal parts to wanting a new challenge.

Daly131

Hope everyone is doing well! Does anybody think there are still places available in April for people waiting in the talent pool like myself for either tilbury or Willesden? or do you think it would be a good idea to email recruitment and ask? TIA

IFeelTheNeed

Hope everyone is doing well! Does anybody think there are still places available in April for people waiting in the talent pool like myself for either tilbury or Willesden? or do you think it would be a good idea to email recruitment and ask? TIA
Won't hurt to ask them...good luck

Daly131

That’s a shame! She came across really helpful at the testing stage. I received a reply today from recruitment informing me that they are currently unable to confirm when they will be recruiting for Willesden and Tilbury again….. looks like it will be a longer wait then I hoped for

BigPondFish

That’s a shame! She came across really helpful at the testing stage. I received a reply today from recruitment informing me that they are currently unable to confirm when they will be recruiting for Willesden and Tilbury again….. looks like it will be a longer wait then I hoped for
Doh, I was waiting for Tilbury too.

golfsareus

Did the course set for January start on time out of interest? Anyone on the May course had there medicals yet I heard they’re starting to book them in?

uww11x

Did the course set for January start on time out of interest? Anyone on the May course had there medicals yet I heard they’re starting to book them in?
They did a walkabout at Carlisle Station last Friday. Won't be another course for a while now

Status
Not open for further replies.