• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DSLR or Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
The Canon 5D series would be well beyond the OP's budget unless he can source a second-hand bargain and know the shutter count from say, a MkII (for example) - the last thing he needs is to buy a second-hand one and having to replace a worn, well-used shutter at great expense.

Camera phones are ok if you don't need all the usual gubbins for creativity, although with my HTC, I can set shutter speed and aperture independently - but remember, camara phones have digital zooms (not optical) which will degrade picture quality. Remember too that camera phones have tiny sensors from which you can only get half-decent pictures in good light.

I wasn't saying the OP should go out and buy a 5d, just making the point that you can have a DSLR and just save it 'for best' if you don't want to lug it around all the time.

I don't know what the compact camera market is like now but with the gap between camera phones and bridge/DSLR being much smaller than it used to be, is there much of a market for them?

Kendalian

I use a Nikon D3200 and Nikon Coolpix S9900.

The 3200 is 24MP and does give me sharper pics, especially for 100mph+ shots!

The S9900 is very handy for video clips out of the train window! Tend to get a lot more reflections with the 3200. S9900 is of course much more portable, fits in my coat pocket...Also it uses the same charger as my S7 phone, which is handy on trips.

Overall, yes the 3200 takes better pics, but the S9900 is very practical...(and was about £130 cheaper)..close call.

najaB

Veteran Member
The HS50 EXR has a listed sensor size of 1/2" (6.4 x 4.8 mm). No where near the size of full frame (36 mm × 24 mm).
Sorry, it's not the HS50 EXR I was thinking of. I was pretty sure that Fujifim made a APS-H bridge camera (I remember thinking about buying one a year or so ago) but I can't find it now. It was something with a 2 in the name (ESR2?)

GB

Established Member
Sorry, it's not the HS50 EXR I was thinking of. I was pretty sure that Fujifim made a APS-H bridge camera (I remember thinking about buying one a year or so ago) but I can't find it now. It was something with a 2 in the name (ESR2?)

There's an xe2s but not sure if that's it.

xc170

Well, I've never tried DSLR but my Canon SX420 IS is pretty good for its size and cost. I got it in a half price sale at £130, it's got 20mp photo quality and 42x optical. I'd definitely recommend it. I know the op's got their mind made up now but if there's anyone out there looking for a good value camera, get at this one. Even at normal £260 price I'd still get it, good stuff

Just to clarify, more megapixels doesn't mean more better quality, 20mp is the size of the photograph.

For the price of a decent bridge camera you can get an entry level DSLR new or a more advance model second hand.

This question comes up quite a lot on a photography forum I'm a member of, the general consensus is to skip the bridge camera and go straight to DSLR as the more you learn and enjoy photography you'll soon outgrow a bridge and find it limiting what you can do.

You'll have a decent camera from the outset and you'll save yourself £260!

beeza1

Thanks again for all the replies,
I spent some time over the Bank Holiday visiting several camera outlets, Calumet, Jessops, Currys, John Lewis etc, and to be honest I came away even more confused. One thing I did learn though was that the Minolta lenses I have will fit Sony "A" mount cameras, so I will probably look for a decent used Sony DSLR and get a new compact.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Thanks again for all the replies,
I spent some time over the Bank Holiday visiting several camera outlets, Calumet, Jessops, Currys, John Lewis etc, and to be honest I came away even more confused. One thing I did learn though was that the Minolta lenses I have will fit Sony "A" mount cameras, so I will probably look for a decent used Sony DSLR and get a new compact.

I think you need to be clear in your mind what you want to photograph. This will then narrow down your choice of kit to a manageable selection

1. Do you want an all-rounder with fixed lens, but which can zoom in and out?

2. Do you want a camera where you can change lenses?

3. What type of photography do you do - e.g. street, portraits, landscape, transport, birding, aeroplanes in flight...?

4. Do you want mainly manual control (where you adjust things like shutter speed, depth of field (aperture) etc? Some cameras have "scene modes" which are semi-automatic for "portrait", "sport", "landscape" etc.

5. What do you want to do with your photographs? Do you want to put them up on websites or publish them in glossy magazines?

Once you can answer these basics - hopefully you will have a better idea of what kit you want/need.

Do remember, camera shops can bamboozle you into buying something you don't want/need and you end up wasting your money.

bieomax

If your looking for a used sony, maybe try the A57 ive had a lot of good use out of mine. The A58 i think is a little unrated as it lost some of the features of the 57 but still think its a solid one. Ive a number of minolta lenses i use between the A mount camera's and the emount mirrorless.

Although ive gone to the mirrorless side abit now with my ever growing collection, alway claimed i was going to sell the ones i didnt use...

Status
Not open for further replies.