• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dtg reaction test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anywhere on the net that i can get hold of the dtg coordinnation reaction test as im doing it next week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrTrain

Nuttytoffee, could you also PM me with the co ordination & reaction tests

Thanks

Beveridges

Established Member
The link to the practice co ordination & reaction test tool has been posted all over these forums, link to the downloadable here:

http://www.krismason.org/files/reactiontest.zip

The co ordination & reaction test tool is ALL you need to pass this test. The practice tool is just like the real thing. All you need to do is practice it and you'll very quickly get better. You will end up going into the test and finding the real thing to be slow, easy and relaxed. Forget Bop It, all you need is this tool.

I don't know why the person who made this doesn't change for it. This will help you a great deal more than buying anything from "how2become" or "barrons"!

TDK

Established Member
y should this b moved to job & careers and is to do with doing the assesment and not a job

You cannot get the job without doing an assessment and all the posts on this forum regarding assessments for train drivers is in this section so there for it is your benefit it is in the correct section so you get the correct answers to you question!

Nuttytoffee

Mr. Train, see Beveridges post above mine. If still stuck pm me your email address.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have one question to you guys though. I have practiced the reaction test and want to know how the hell you can do the last 30 seconds. It's mad fast! I am pretty much ok until then. Owning a bop it and being a drummer helps I think.

TDK

Established Member
Mr. Train, see Beveridges post above mine. If still stuck pm me your email address.
I have one question to you guys though. I have practiced the reaction test and want to know how the hell you can do the last 30 seconds. It's mad fast! I am pretty much ok until then. Owning a bop it and being a drummer helps I think.

I used to play drums and that helped, there is a section of the test quite a way before the end (as it ends when you make a seies of mistakes automatically) that is humanly impossible to do and what they are looking for is for the candidate to pick up after this section if you can do this and continue you have normally nailed it, I actually completed the reaction test and gained an A1 (I think down to a C1 is a pass) result however this was solely down to my earlier years as a drummer and nothing else as I did not have any time to practice any of the tests as I was given the assessments 3 days after they had received my application letter.

PeteH

I used to play drums and that helped, there is a section of the test quite a way before the end (as it ends when you make a seies of mistakes automatically) that is humanly impossible to do and what they are looking for is for the candidate to pick up after this section if you can do this and continue you have normally nailed it, I actually completed the reaction test and gained an A1 (I think down to a C1 is a pass) result however this was solely down to my earlier years as a drummer and nothing else as I did not have any time to practice any of the tests as I was given the assessments 3 days after they had received my application letter.

Keith Moon as a train driver. The mind boggles!

TDK

Established Member
Keith Moon as a train driver. The mind boggles!

Not quite keith moon, I play Bass guitar now as I am a fossil and find it a lot less exhausting, through interest I think guitar hero is a good practice for the reaction tests especially with the colours!

Flyboy

Does anyone know the keyboard controls for DTG? I've searched but can't locate anything other than the fact that a modified keyboard with foot pedals is used in the actual test, what about the controls on my PC at home?

Beveridges

Established Member
Just download the practice tool it is ALL here theres even a dummy version of the modified keyboard for you to practice on:

http://www.krismason.org/files/reactiontest.zip

Yes, the dummy keyboard is exactly the same layout as the real one in the test, all you've got to do then is get hold of two footpedals or pretend you've got some under your desk.

Flyboy

Just download the practice tool it is ALL here theres even a dummy version of the modified keyboard for you to practice on

Not in my download Beveridges, all that is contained in the .zip file is the application itself and a single page .pdf file that shows 5 coloured circles with LO and HI underneath them, there's no indication of which keyboard keys relate to which colours/sounds.

OK, I understand it a little better now. It's not an interactive test at all and the PC keyboard can't be used, the .pdf file showing a picture of the buttons is there for you to print off and hit the appropriate dot on the paper as it appears on screen.

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
There is no way for this practice tool to assess your performance. You assess yourself. That should be enough to get good at it though.

MrHappy

I might well be being thick :roll:, but what are you supposed to do/press when the large yellow squares appear in the bottom corners? Do you just ignore them?

Quickthorn

I've tried that reaction test, and it seems pretty fast to me. I have trouble keeping up with it from about one third of the way in.

What's a "good" score for Bop it? I'm still on the first level and got 44 tops. I sometimes mix up spin and twist, but a lot of the fails are because the spin thing doesn't register, and the pull thing gets stuck!

387star

On Moderation
okay so point on the sheet to what colour is being shown and whether high or low tone and tap feet to yellow squares right :P

Beveridges

Established Member
Thats exactly it, and when you can keep up with it when it reaches its maximum speed then you'll find the real thing easy by comparison.

Lanc688

Thats exactly it, and when you can keep up with it when it reaches its maximum speed then you'll find the real thing easy by comparison.

Sorry to play Devils Advocat here, but you do not need to keep up with the tool to the end as its speed is massively unrepresentative of the real test and may knock your confidence if you try to do so.

It certainly helps to familiarise you with the layout though which is a major boost.

Lanc
Cheers! That makes sense. I've stuck some post its on the floor!

Have you put 'L' on one and 'R' on the other LOL;)

I only managed a Borderline Pass on this the first time around and had to take it again for FTPE....No pressure there at all ;)

It seems that if you lose control and take a breather having done so, then rejoining once ready will help your score loads.

Also don't forget that the second part is controlled by YOU !

Good luck

Lanc

Beveridges

Established Member
Sorry to play Devils Advocat here, but you do not need to keep up with the tool to the end as its speed is massively unrepresentative of the real test and may knock your confidence if you try to do so.
This test is a lot faster than the real thing.
I could keep up with this practice tool until it reached below around 700-600 speed and then after that I found it way too fast. But if you can get to around this speed, you'll find the real thing slow in comparison, even when it speeds up. I practiced myself on a similar practice tool well before this one came out (not available anymore) and when it came to sitting the real DTG Reactions test I found that I didn't even lose control at all when it speeded up.
Like the Group Boredom test, the Reactions test is another one of those tests that you can easily learn to pass through practice, even if you don't initially have the ability, thanks to the practice tools that are available on the Internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.