• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch Response to Violence to On Train Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Timer

Established Member
The Dutch response to on train violence against staff. Somewhat different to here, I think ?

Violence Explosion in slow trains

Published: February 24, 2010 9.58

The Dutch Railways have taken action against an imminent explosion of violence in the slow trains on the line Maastricht-Sittard-Roermond. Only in February were on that line all four major violent incidents reported.

In the weeks before all assaults took place, confirmed spokeswoman Meja on 't Hoog of the NS. In all cases of the railway staff were the victims of physical violence.

In the fight against aggression since Thursday put the NS two-service and full-time security staff on the line, equipped with handcuffs and the power to take people down. Also at Maastricht station security cameras placed just before Carnival. Further, the railway police on alert notifications from the trains.

To scale up security was decided last Wednesday after the driver of the commuter train in Maastricht was left at the height of Bunde was severely beaten. An aggressive traveler gave him a karate kick to the head. The NS was the final straw.

The NS groping in the dark why is this line where the security is under pressure, and why intercity get away on that line. To date, no evidence that the incidents are connected. The perpetrators of abuse, in most cases black riders are always escaped. However, the NS hopeful that the police one of the latest violent images already in the Maastricht camera has.

The approach of ov-violence was already high in Limburg on the agenda, following increasing violence in the buses of the company. Drivers in South Limburg laid in December last year, working briefly down, after all for the seventh time in 2009

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
I may have misunderstood the translation, but haven't they just put two extra security guards on the line and installed CCTV at one station? :|

Old Timer

Established Member
NS have put two additional full time RPI staff on the route, as well as engaged a whole load of private security staff who travel on every train looking for "trouble"

I love the phrase "...equipped with handcuffs and the power to take people down..." i. e. these are big guys who will not shirk a violent encounter.

In addition the Police are operating in cooperation along the line ready to go to any train where there is bother. These guys are armed and they do not mess about !

the sniper

Established Member
NS have put two additional full time RPI staff on the route, as well as engaged a whole load of private security staff who travel on every train looking for "trouble"

I love the phrase "...equipped with handcuffs and the power to take people down..." i. e. these are big guys who will not shirk a violent encounter.

In addition the Police are operating in cooperation along the line ready to go to any train where there is bother. These guys are armed and they do not mess about !

Ahh, thanks for that Old Timer, it is indeed an impressive response! :)

The only time I've ever seen security on a British rail service was on an empty mid afternoon weekday cross-city service in Birmingham. London Midland only have them as they're a franchise commitment. Frankly, they were three of the least intimidating people that I've ever seen in a uniform... Compared to southern Spain where bad ass security guards ride local trains equipped with pistols, I think we're somewhat behind! (Though they are equipped like that primarily to deter terrorism rather then standard crime)

Last edited:
I've always admired the Dutch for their attitude to scum.
Many years ago, a gent was a bit abusive when asked for his ticket. The checker walked on, and spoke into his radio. A few minutes later we pulled into a station, doors open and 2 policemen with hands on guns ask gent to accompany them<D Gent offered to pay and the guard just shook his head!
Love it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.