East Coast rewards after February 2015?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by andrewkeith5, 21 Sep 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernRailways

ModernRailways Established Member

That is correct.

Even with East Coast when you bought an eVoucher, 500 points (£500 spent) meant £5.00 eVoucher. With VTEC it equates to £2.50. That's half of the EC value. That's crazy! It means I must spend around £10,000 just to get a £50 eVoucher! What a f***ing joke - but this is clearly what the public prefer!

I also noticed a few newspapers today had mention of the rewards scheme and that Passenger Focus were planning on also joining the fight to go back to the old scheme. The problem is, Stagecoach (Sorry, Virgin) East Coast likely have a contract with Nectar and I doubt they'll be able to just change back to the old style scheme without penalty from Nectar and when they need to get as much money as possible from the franchise it's unlikely they will want to spend additional money on reverting back.

Does anyone know when/where you can swap Nectar points for a VTEC ticket? I can only see the option for the eVoucher (mentioned earlier). Is that all that is on offer and in fact no specific VTEC tickets, but just a crappy eVoucher for their services (which as mentioned is crazily priced)?

2. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

I really really don't get why the nectar points can be used to buy vouchers only for EC Advances. Not WC advances, not EC walk up tickets. Why can't they just be used to buy any ticket from the EC website!?

3. ModernRailways

It's what customers wanted.

4. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

You get two Nectar points per £1 spent, which means 1000 points (a £5 voucher) costs £500. That's the same value as the old Rewards scheme, although the use of the voucher is more limited than under the old scheme. The issue is the loss of "free" travel tickets.

High spenders will lose out under the new scheme because the vouchers have such poor value (just as they did under EC, which is why nobody bothered with them). I presume that Stagecoach assume that these high spenders will continue to travel with them and will continue to use their website to buy tickets. If the high spenders stop travelling we'll see a new scheme come in- maybe something like Traveller (although VTWC appear to be phasing this out by stealth)- but if they don't stop travelling then we won't.

Low spenders will probably benefit under the new scheme. My father travelled infrequently on cheap advances and resented the fact his rewards points were almost useless. He'll benefit under Nectar because he does most of his shopping at Sainsburys.

I found it interesting that Arriva emailed their XC and Chiltern databases about a new "loyalty" scheme for those TOCs. I wonder what they are thinking of? It certainly wouldn't do Grand Central (which uses XC's booking system, and is still losing money on the Yorkshire to London trains) any harm to have a jibe at Virgin Trains...

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015
  5. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

I've just booked some free Rewards tickets as ToD. Can I use any card to collect the tickets with the code?

6. ModernRailways

Ah yes, I thought it was £1 spent=1 point.

7. crehld

crehld Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I've just done the same and my email confirmation says "To collect your tickets, you must have both a credit/debit card and your ticket booking reference" - so I assume that means any valid card.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of fares at Inverness and Edinburgh and I was able to select my preferred trains with ease. I had thought VTEC might restrict their availability from 1 March!

8. ModernRailways

I imagine if they reduced availability there would be more complaints.

They want people to forget the old scheme, by limiting the numbers would mean, potentially people will lose out and as such in September would only cause the whole Rewards switch rise up again. By putting as many free tickets out there means people will spend them and forget the whole situation (for the most part anyway).

9. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

Nah, they'll have loads of availability- the sooner it is gone and the "free" tickets are gone the better.

10. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Yes - any card will do.

11. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I got an email last night to say hurry up you have reward points expiring in the next month, except I don't; I spent all my points two months ago

12. CockneySparrow

CockneySparrow Established Member

No, that's only if you shop in Sainsburys

13. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

And only after 1st April. It's £1 spent = 2 points at the moment.

14. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

Might be of interest... (Edit: Just noticed the date of the article, has it already been posted in this thread? Apologies if so.)

http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/ne...new-east-coast-operator-not-to-slash-benefits

Last edited: 4 Mar 2015
  15. island

island Established Member

You must book by the 30-SEP-15, 12 weeks from which is 23-DMR-15 by my reckoning.

16. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Had an email the other day

Had another email today

Whoops!

17. ModernRailways

I'm confused by the closure.

VTEC say they are closing the service and that all points expire on 30th September.

According to my account my points expire in 2017. Surely, it should say 30/09/2015? Obviously, the 30th September is the cut off but it would make sense to at least have the correct date inputted on the page since they are telling people to check there.

[​IMG]
    Click to view a larger image size.

18. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would guess that's the original expiry date and they've not modified the software yet to take account of the change.

19. table38

table38 Established Member

Having received the "that's all folks" email today, rather irritatingly I have 250 points left which are just not enough for a ticket, so what to do!

I don't have a Nectar card, and I usually buy cheap First Class Advances, so the Free WiFi and Lounge vouchers are not very appealing.

Looks like the only option is to cash them in for a £2.50 eVoucher :(

20. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Probably worth picking up a Nectar card and using them for £11.25 of VTEC advance tickets even if you bin the card afterwards unless you don't want Nectar to have your name and address.

21. fireftrm

fireftrm Member

Where do you get £11.25 from? As far as I can tell 250 Nectar points are worth nothing, needing 500 points for the first level of £2.50. VTEC are 'generously' offering 50% additional value, so the 500 points are exchangeable for £3.75.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Until the end of May that is.

22. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Just received an interesting email from Chiltern Railways. I wonder if they're considering an EC style scheme (although free tickets on Chiltern wouldn't be as attractive as on EC although if the other Arriva companies XC, ATW and GC were included then it could work)

23. Deerfold

Transferred EC Rewards points get 6 Nectar points each - so table38 would get 1500 Nectar points.

24. fireftrm

fireftrm Member

Oh yippee do, wowser

25. Deerfold

I didn't say it was wonderful, just a better bet than £2.50 worth of travel.

26. Essexman

Essexman Established Member

Got the email today. 5052 points. That's 21 standard class or 13 first class singles, in addition to the dozen or so free first class tickets I've already had. Virgin's email goes on to extol benefits of Nectar scheme - hardly a match.

27. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I've had that email from XC & GC, pretty much the same survey with regarding loyalty schemes.

Maybe Arriva have worked out that the cost of providing a loyalty scheme is worth it for the benefits it might bring with additional sales.

I will put 10p on it being another Nectar scheme, or maybe they will do things differently and go with Tesco
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Silly question, is there any way to seeing how many freebie tickets you have left to redeem on the new site?

28. CallySleeper

CallySleeper Established Member

29. dfurn

dfurn Member

I have a question for people who have previously redeemed East Coast Rewards tickets. I have one Reward ticket to book and although today I can book advance fare tickets on Thursday 4th June there are no £0 tickets showing. The latest date I can see £0 Reward availability is Friday 29th May. Does East Coast tend to hold back the availability of Reward tickets and is it likely £0 tickets will eventually turn up? Or if they are not available now will that continue to be the case? I realise there's nothing certain in the new Virgin East Coast world; I'm just wondering what has happened in the past.

30. Deerfold

I believe availability for Rewards tickets usually lags about a week behind availability for Advances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.