• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast - Weekend First

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
On Christmas Eve, I'm wanting to travel from Stevenage to Newcastle which involves getting the 09:22 from Stevenage as far as Doncaster and getting the 11:09 from Doncaster to Newcastle. I will be travelling on a Standard Super Off Peak Return but what I'm wondering is whether I could get a £25 weekend first supplement from Stevenage to Newcastle covering both trains or would I have to pay two supplements for each train?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amcluesent

IMHO you'd have to pay for each 'Festive First', which may be £15 or £25.

"You can only buy Festive First upgrades on board, subject to spaces being available, every day from Dec 24th to Mon 2nd Jan inc."

Dunno about availability, I got my PBO-EDB FC Advance ticket for 24th in October!

Last edited:
Weekend First certainly used to be available for a combination of tickets at a single price, rather than double (as in this example). It also used, and possibly still does, to cover journeys on more than one TOC (the higher applicable supplement being payable).

Since 24th Dec is a Saturday, check with the booking office in advance: the upgrade can be issued separately from the ticket and just shows the beginning and end point of your actual journey.

John @ home

Established Member
I agree with Gerald Fiennes [Note 1], except that the supplement can no longer be paid at a ticket office, only on the train.

I understand that the current East Coast Weekend First rules are:
Holders of all valid Standard tickets and passes can travel in extra comfort on East Coast services on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays in First Class accommodation labelled "Weekend First" on payment of the relevant supplement.

For the avoidance of doubt, this includes “Advance” tickets, Off-Peak Day tickets, Rail Rovers, BritRail, Railcard-reduced tickets and Staff Passes.

Passengers purchase a supplement on the East Coast train if accommodation is available (so is for that train only, but can only be used on connecting East Coast trains on the same day IF seats are available).

Please note Weekend First cannot be booked at stations, nor issued in advance on East Coast trains for any other East Coast trains.

Weekend First issued for travel on other TOCs cannot be used on East Coast trains, and East Coast Weekend First cannot be issued through to non-East Coast destinations.

Weekend First supplements are:
  • London/Stevenage – Wakefield/York and north thereof £25·00
  • London/Stevenage – Hull, Brough, Selby and all stations south of York and Wakefield £15·00
  • all non-London East Coast journeys i.e. starting and ending at Peterborough or north thereof £15·00
Note 1
I've been waiting for a chance to say "I agree with Gerald Fiennes" since the name appeared. Welcome to the forum, GF! It's a shame our user-name field doesn't allow the full, magnificent Gerard Francis Gisborne Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes.

Thank you for your words of welcome john@home. Naturally, I have had to shorten my name somewhat to fit in with the vissicitudes of modern life (these electronic blog-type things). I am pleased to see that my bench at Saxmundham is still in use on the modern railway and even that there is a room named after me at the Rail Safety and Standards Board's offices!

34D

Established Member
Thank you for your words of welcome john@home. Naturally, I have had to shorten my name somewhat to fit in with the vissicitudes of modern life (these electronic blog-type things). I am pleased to see that my bench at Saxmundham is still in use on the modern railway and even that there is a room named after me at the Rail Safety and Standards Board's offices!

Are you the real Gerry Fiennes of Eastern Region fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.