• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

Anyone know if East Coast ever take on trainee drivers? They are one of my local TOCs so would be good for me. Heard a year or so ago that they never do - and Ive never heard of them doing so - but wondered if this was still the case, or if that is true?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
Anyone know if East Coast ever take on trainee drivers? They are one of my local TOCs so would be good for me. Heard a year or so ago that they never do - and Ive never heard of them doing so - but wondered if this was still the case, or if that is true?
I think they may do very, very occasionally as i'm sure I saw a post on here about East Coast trainee drivers a while ago. But would think internal staff are probably more likely and generally qualified drivers from elsewhere.

If you want a driving job I wouldn't hold out for them but would look at a local/suburban TOC. Assuming you're in Leeds then Northern & TPE would be top of the list. Alternatively look for another rail job with East Coast and try and get in that way. Be prepared for a long long wait though and a lot of other worthy candidates...

lordturns

I emailed East Coast a while back and got this response:

Thank you for your email expressing an interest in working for East Coast as a Trainee Driver.

Vacancies in this field very rarely arise (drivers tend to stay here until they retire), when they do there is a substantial pool of qualified drivers who work at other train operators that want to work for a long distance operator like us, and so we very rarely need to recruit trainees in this area. Many would be drivers apply to one of the smaller operators who are more likely to train drivers from scratch and later progress to one of the long distance operators like East Coast.

Your other option would be to take up another role within East Coast and then watch out for trainee driver vacancies internally. If you would like to go down this route, we’re always on the lookout for high calibre candidates and use our online recruitment website to source likely candidates for any external vacancies that we may have.

It was back in GNER days the last time we had external trainees at Kings Cross,if I remember correctly they advertised in the Evening Standard. Nowadays they tend to recruit qualified drivers and very occasionally recruit internally for trainee drivers although they may rethink that policy after the last internal trainee at Kings Cross (and I believe one at Leeds) failed to complete the training.

387star

On Moderation
It was back in GNER days the last time we had external trainees at Kings Cross,if I remember correctly they advertised in the Evening Standard. Nowadays they tend to recruit qualified drivers and very occasionally recruit internally for trainee drivers although they may rethink that policy after the last internal trainee at Kings Cross (and I believe one at Leeds) failed to complete the training.

What happened how did they fail

Status
Not open for further replies.