• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

takno

Established Member
I don’t know the line but on the single track section could you not install twin track cantilevers such that they wouldn’t need moving, and just position the equipment on them accordingly in the interim (presumably around the mid point)?
The problem is that it's not double track which has been singled - it's just a single track formation. Realistically it's never actually going to get doubled.

Buying BEMUs and dragging batteries around all day every day for years isn't without cost. It makes no sense to do it just because otherwise you might one day want to double a line, and you'll therefore have to resite some electrification masts when you are rebuilding entire embankments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I don’t know the line but on the single track section could you not install twin track cantilevers such that they wouldn’t need moving, and just position the equipment on them accordingly in the interim (presumably around the mid point)?
You could install masts to the Far side of the line and cantilever the fittings to the current line. Then add a second line later. It all depends on what is specified at the contract tender stage?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Personally I remain to be convinced that doubling Busby/East Kilbride, while nice to have, is essential; The current infrastructure supports a half-hourly service
I thought that it could support 3tph, hence the loop BR put in between Hairmyres and EK?

snowball

Established Member

You could install masts to the Far side of the line and cantilever the fittings to the current line. Then add a second line later. It all depends on what is specified at the contract tender stage?
A potential complicating factor is that the formation is generally only wide enough for the existing track. Doubling would require widening of embankments and cuttings. I don't know how big a difficulty that would or wouldn't be.

A potential complicating factor is that the formation is generally only wide enough for the existing track. Doubling would require widening of embankments and cuttings. I don't know how big a difficulty that would or wouldn't be.
You could of course install a dynamic loop, rather than the full blown double tracking. I'm not convinced that it needs to be totally doubled.

route101

Established Member
If it wasn't the single track section, East Kilbride would be getting wired.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The problem is that it's not double track which has been singled - it's just a single track formation. Realistically it's never actually going to get doubled.

Buying BEMUs and dragging batteries around all day every day for years isn't without cost. It makes no sense to do it just because otherwise you might one day want to double a line, and you'll therefore have to resite some electrification masts when you are rebuilding entire embankments.

If the wires stretch as far as the end of the dual track at Busby, then you wouldn't need a particularly large battery to make it to EK and back. Some amount of onboard battery storage is a pretty sensible thing to fit to EMUs as standard. The New Tube for London trains will have some because it means trains can crawl to the next station in the event of a power outage, rather than requiring a track evacuation or other complex rescue procedure.

The Glasgow Metro might end up influencing plans for this branch in any case. Getting the dual track sections up to 25kV AC electrification is never going to go to waste. However, there might be better options available for improving services to EK - e.g. converting the Neilston line and constructing the connecting curve at Williamwood. Whatever happens, the funding for changes on the single track section might be clearer and easier to obtain as part of a bigger infrastructure project rather than standard NR improvements.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think it can only support 3tph in one direction at a time, which results in lots of very awkward stock movements.
That would make sense, because the 3tph was only ever towards Glasgow in the morning and EK in the evening but I assumed that was just for demand reasons.

numtot12345

If the wires stretch as far as the end of the dual track at Busby, then you wouldn't need a particularly large battery to make it to EK and back. Some amount of onboard battery storage is a pretty sensible thing to fit to EMUs as standard. The New Tube for London trains will have some because it means trains can crawl to the next station in the event of a power outage, rather than requiring a track evacuation or other complex rescue procedure.

The Glasgow Metro might end up influencing plans for this branch in any case. Getting the dual track sections up to 25kV AC electrification is never going to go to waste. However, there might be better options available for improving services to EK - e.g. converting the Neilston line and constructing the connecting curve at Williamwood. Whatever happens, the funding for changes on the single track section might be clearer and easier to obtain as part of a bigger infrastructure project rather than standard NR improvements.
Very good point re. Glasgow Metro. If they plan for Metro going ahead, it would relieve space/capacity in Glasgow Central, therefore quashing any issues re no space left for more EK services coming into Central. Obvs that is a loooong way off though!

Waverleystu

Has electrification works on the line haulted? There was a a fair bit of work going on last year with masts erected etc but I haven’t heard anything happening of late

snowball

Established Member
Has electrification works on the line haulted? There was a a fair bit of work going on last year with masts erected etc but I haven’t heard anything happening of late
See for example #590 and #597 on page 20 of this thread.

As far as I can recall there's been no mention of any works happening on the EK branch. This is consistent with Brissie Girl's observation in #732 that the decision to proceed to construction on the branch has not yet been taken.

InOban

Established Member
The last official update clearly said that the projects were sequential, not simultaneous.
I would like to see reports of progress towards Barrhead.

snowball

Established Member
The last official update clearly said that the projects were sequential, not simultaneous.
I don't remember seeing one which put it quite as specifically as that. If so it would mean work doesn't start on the branch until 2024 or the end of 2023. The nearest equivalent I can think of is

The East Kilbride corridor has recently been given approval for single track electrification infrastructure, and further development work is required to support this.

from the Oct 2021 press release

clc

Established Member
..there might be better options available for improving services to EK - e.g. converting the Neilston line and constructing the connecting curve at Williamwood...
How would you serve Thornliebank and Giffnock?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You beat me to it. That was the “Strathclyde Rail Review” plan which included cutting the Neilston line back to Whitecraigs and reusing the recovered electrification equipment.
Indeed, I actually had a copy of the official plans given to me. I since passed it to a friend but I remember the various diagrams and costings which led one to (gently persuaded?) conclusion that most of the SPTE network was a financial basket case that needed massive pruning!

NotATrainspott

Established Member
How would you serve Thornliebank and Giffnock?

Retailed heavy rail services.

I just wanted to bring the Glasgow Metro up since it could well result in some major changes to the NR infrastructure around the city. A challenge for NR serving East Kilbride is that the town is very spread out and the existing railway infrastructure can't serve that many people within walking distance. When the Glasgow Metro is about getting people out of their cars, changes to how outer suburbs and exurbs are served seem pretty inevitable. Some of the maps have shown a Neilston line branch down to Newton Mearns that would certainly involve street running. If that's being considered, then maybe it could be for EK as well. The existing station could be kept for a retained 2tph heavy rail service while a higher frequency Metro service would go elsewhere and provide better connections within EK.

I haven't thought too much about this and discussion on the specifics would need to be as part of a speculative Glasgow Metro thread. We should get more detail on the Glasgow Metro in the next few years, and it seems like a reasonable decision to focus on no-regrets investments now that won't conflict with whatever could emerge from it.

JModulo

I travel the line on a daily basis and theres been no updates for a while apart from the odd tree or 2 being cut back, which may not even be related to the works.

Clansman

Established Member
Good shout. Wiring the steep 4-mile section up to Busby would remove any BEMU performance concerns.

Politically it would be sensible to explain that future demand is uncertain, say that double tracking will be reconsidered in future and that it wouldn’t be prudent to wire the single track section as it would have to be redone at significant cost if double tracking was to go ahead. In the meantime you’ll still get shiny new electric trains.
As far as the decarbonisation plans go for radical investment in battery units in future, EK not being wired all the way would make a decent in service test bed for that technology ahead of 2030. Then when its a success, it's used to justify not wiring up elsewhere at the pre-planned times, and basically do what Westminster done to the MML and say 'well we have bi-modes - better yet, green bi-modes'.

Bit of a win-win.

MadMac

As far as the decarbonisation plans go for radical investment in battery units in future, EK not being wired all the way would make a decent in service test bed for that technology ahead of 2030. Then when its a success, it's used to justify not wiring up elsewhere at the pre-planned times, and basically do what Westminster done to the MML and say 'well we have bi-modes - better yet, green bi-modes'.

Bit of a win-win.
Even if you only go to Busby, you've still got the major problem of Clarkston Toll to sort out.

snowball

Established Member
Even if you only go to Busby, you've still got the major problem of Clarkston Toll to sort out.
Unless the Scottish government and Scotrail are about to abandon the electrification plan they announced less than two years ago, they will have to deal with some difficult locations.

Unless the Scottish government and Scotrail are about to abandon the electrification plan they announced less than two years ago, they will have to deal with some difficult locations.
The Scottish Government now run Scotrail and still have a massive electrification plan in place. The challenge of East Kilbride has been well known for many years.

Southsider

Is Clarkston Toll a major problem? It’s just the replacement of a bridge to provide electrical clearance with the added opportunity to provide a better road alignment if the parties involved can agree a scope of work. If I recall correctly, a number of road improvements happened in conjunction with Shotts electrification.

clc

Established Member
Is Clarkston Toll a major problem? It’s just the replacement of a bridge to provide electrical clearance with the added opportunity to provide a better road alignment if the parties involved can agree a scope of work. If I recall correctly, a number of road improvements happened in conjunction with Shotts electrification.
As well as improving the road alignment I’d like them to provide step free access from the main car park to the EK bound platform.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Indeed, I actually had a copy of the official plans given to me. I since passed it to a friend but I remember the various diagrams and costings which led one to (gently persuaded?) conclusion that most of the SPTE network was a financial basket case that needed massive pruning!

And abandon Neilston (and Patterton) too ? Thanks a lot !!

Thank goodness that madcap plan was shot down in flames in the 1980s, I doubt such rail closures could happen now.

Regarding the report, was there ever any mention of Glasgow bringing back trams or did it just concentrate on the conventional rail network?

Also, with there having been so many studies and junkets abroad by local councillors over the years, perhaps it is time to dust down the reports and to get on with it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Regarding the report, was there ever any mention of Glasgow bringing back trams or did it just concentrate on the conventional rail network?
I can't remember sorry, I'd need to ask the friend of mine who now has the document in his possession.