• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East London Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are rumours in the trade press, that the East London line extention will open as soon as 4 April, though with a limited service. Anyone else here know any more ?

Good blog pics and text here:
http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/

Things really take off from February 2011. The ELL will extend beyond Dalston and onto Highbury & Islington. As a Finsbury Park man, that means with one change from the Victoria line to ELL at Highbury & Islington, I'll be in south London in greater speed, convenience and comfort.

Oh, and can you stop off at Shoreditch High Street for a Brick Lane curry. :D

And ELL looks a good bit of new/refurbished railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

I think it's possibly going to be 11 April now for the initial service. This will be Dalston Junction to New Cross and New Cross Gate, 4tph to each making 8tph on the core ELL.

Through services to Crystal Palace and West Croydon to start with the national timetable change on 23 May.

vitesse

Quite correct, we have been told we are expecting to start the core ELL services on 11th April and starting the West Croydons & Palace towards the end of May.

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
So are all those 4 car 378s just waiting to be used :)?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Well, yes. They can't run them on the NLL (no pantographs), and they're for London Overground, so as they need kept somewhere (the idea being to have all the stock ready for the opening) might as well have them on site, where they can be checked over and sent on test runs.

Fincra5

Established Member
Well comming back today on the train Via london Bridge there were 378s operating beyond New Cross Gate, so on the Southern sections. Guessing this is for driver training.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Having travelled on a 378 yesterday, I will admit that while they look quite nice on the outside, and are very spacious, the inside is a bit bland. And the voiceover is awful! Plus, there appears to be no ELL on the internal maps - not even as a "peel-off" strip as is the case on the new Circle/H&C maps [for Whitechapel interchange].

A60K

Plus, there appears to be no ELL on the internal maps - not even as a "peel-off" strip as is the case on the new Circle/H&C maps [for Whitechapel interchange].

That's because new maps will be posted when the line actually opens - you would need a damn big sticker to cover all of the new bits :D

Yes, it should open on April 4th, but only between Dalston and New Cross. The section down to Crystal Palace and West Croydon will open with the Network Rail timetable change in May. I think they chose a quiet day (Easter Sunday) in case anything goes wrong...

ert47

Just realised with Shoreditch High Street being in Zone 1, it seems that the easiest way to get to the north/south of London from the opposite end of the city (without entering Zone 1) is to go via Kensington Olympia if you have a Zone 2-6 travelcard...

Or could you be naughty and just go through the station since its only one station :s

Ivo

Established Member
Just realised with Shoreditch High Street being in Zone 1, it seems that the easiest way to get to the north/south of London from the opposite end of the city (without entering Zone 1) is to go via Kensington Olympia if you have a Zone 2-6 travelcard...

Or could you be naughty and just go through the station since its only one station :s

Fancy a walk between Hoxton and Whitechapel? :D

vitesse

Love your location vitesse!!! that would be may fault, well 1 out of four times it will be anyway lol:)

Hi Dazza, forgot to change that, since moving over there I suppose now I could have: Standing at L563 for half hour after being over-zealous with the SG button :)

Last edited:

A60K

Curiously, AIUI, if you're making a local single journey (I believe the bounds of which are Dalston Junction at the north end and Wapping at the south end) you won't get charged a Zone 1 fare, as special fares are being put in place for normal single tickets - say from Shadwell to Hoxton.

ert47

Just spotted a 378 on the way back from UniLand at Norwood Junction. It didnt stay long - it was stopped at a double yellow.

Had to quickly whip out my phone which quality kinda shocked me a tad (its not usually this good)

Last edited:

vitesse

As far as we are aware the core route is still going to be opening on that date, unless the plan has been changed and us drivers as is usual are the last to find out

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Saturday, I got of the Jubilee line at Canada Water during a bit of a wander (went to the shops there). As I was heading up through the station, I went up the stairs past the southbound ELL platform. It was a little bit spooky to see a 378 pull into the northbound platform, behind all the fencing, presumably on a test/training run.

anthony263

Established Member
Trains are supposed to be every 15 minutes to New cross/New cross gate so that would mean every 7/8 minutes through the core section.

Boris jonshon is launching the new service on thursday and trains start running from 7am

Hopefully i will be able to have a go when i visit london on saturday

CCF23

Trains are supposed to be every 15 minutes to New cross/New cross gate so that would mean every 7/8 minutes through the core section.

Boris jonshon is launching the new service on thursday and trains start running from 7am

Hopefully i will be able to have a go when i visit london on saturday

Is that he will launch it Thursday and first train is at 7am the next morning, Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.