• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Light Locomotive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Route learning runs. A lot of them also running on lines avoiding Derby for the upcoming closure.

_toommm_

Established Member
Route learning runs. A lot of them also running on lines avoiding Derby for the upcoming closure.

What need would they have to run via Woodbourn and Rotherham? IIRC there’s only one EM service routed via Doncaster (apart from the Lincoln services of course)

louis97

Established Member
What need would they have to run via Woodbourn and Rotherham? IIRC there’s only one EM service routed via Doncaster (apart from the Lincoln services of course)

EMT services to/from Leeds can, and have done recently, divert via Rotherham then Woodburn.

Domh245

Established Member
I would think it'd be one of the 50s that they are using for route learning for the Derby closure later this year

trainnut

That had crossed my mind about class 50. Will look out for it coming Doncaster area

lammergeier

I would think it'd be one of the 50s that they are using for route learning for the Derby closure later this year

The 50 is being used by XC not EMT. I believe EMT have acquired one or more 66s for their route learning. If you want to see the 50 look out for the XC class 0 doing Derby-Derby via Stenson, Trent & Toton.

trainnut

The 50 is being used by XC not EMT. I believe EMT have acquired one or more 66s for their route learning. If you want to see the 50 look out for the XC class 0 doing Derby-Derby via Stenson, Trent & Toton.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not in that area to catch a sighting :(

westcoaster

Established Member
Was also a route learner from derby to central rivers, for stock moves/ stableing. Spoke to an EMT driver he said only a few drivers learning it ( ones who previously went to central rivers under MML, with the burton on trent trains.)

cj_1985

It's just ROG playing at trains.

That maybe sounds cruel... But ROG have other locos that they own (or lease), that could have been used. Instead they hired in 50s.

But it's Good for the locos owning group,

Last edited:

Established Member

That maybe sounds cruel... But ROG have other locos that they own (or lease), that could have been used. Instead they hired in 50s.

Were those other locos available?

cj_1985

Being totally honest, I don't know. But considering ROG have, what, 6x class 47s, and almost as many 37s. Not to mention the 56s they've been known to hire from UKRL...

So I can't see Any other practical reasons to hire in a 50

lammergeier

ROG don't own the 50s being used and they're not providing the drivers for them either.

Established Member
Yeah the EMT route learners are the 66's stabled at Etches Park which can go out on any number of routes between Central Rivers, Toton and it seams Doncaster which to be honest i don't understand why.

The 50's are for XC which for a Derby lad is interesting to see running around the area over the last couple of weeks, the best bit was the cold start yesterday morning at the south end with flames out the top because it it wasn't used for 4 days!

cj_1985

My apologies. I was under the impression these moves were being operated by ROG

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Being totally honest, I don't know. But considering ROG have, what, 6x class 47s, and almost as many 37s. Not to mention the 56s they've been known to hire from UKRL...

So I can't see Any other practical reasons to hire in a 50

Most of the ROG 47 fleet is out of action. The 37s are hired but are used on regular stock moves so hiring in other traction isn't such a bad idea.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The corresponding EM workings (0T60 - 0T68) were running today. Saw 66008 on 0T65 1157 Sheffield to Doncaster http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N27170/2018/03/22/advanced

Well played - I wasn't organised in time and didn't spot it.

I was thinking about trying to spot it later in the day but the return working (to Derby) reverses at Woodburn - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N27173/2018/03/22/advanced - which I can't recall anything doing before (?)

_toommm_

Established Member
Well played - I wasn't organised in time and didn't spot it.

I was thinking about trying to spot it later in the day but the return working (to Derby) reverses at Woodburn - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N27173/2018/03/22/advanced - which I can't recall anything doing before (?)

Probably difficult trying to get a path into Sheffield in the day - then again when isn't it coming in from the country end.

The inbound journey from Doncaster is currently 24 down at Mexborough by the way:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N27172/2018/03/22/advanced

alexl92

Established Member

But what duties are they actually using them for? Surely not XC route learning as they’d have to learn the traction as well as the route?

Status
Not open for further replies.