• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Railway livery and station branding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
I believe they're being fitted with the same seats as the FLIRTs on GA.
Yep, Abellio have used them on a few franchises now, an upgraded version is also being used in the 810. We don't know what seat is going in the 360 but FISA Leans look very likely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Didn't seem to bother other TOCs, who have a mish-mash of different seats across their stock. For example, Northern, Scotrail, and indeed EMT...
EMR want it consistent across their 170 fleet. The Scotrail ones I really in need of a refurb though, the seat covers look very tired.

OTRail

Both are getting new seats, carpet, inside paint etc?
The 360s are having a complete overhaul, including replacing the configuration to 2+2 in standard and a larger 2+1 first class area. The seating layout for the 170s will stay the same (albeit new seats as mentioned above)

Energy

Established Member
The 360s are having a complete overhaul, including replacing the configuration to 2+2 in standard and a larger 2+1 first class area. The seating layout for the 170s will stay the same (albeit new seats as mentioned above)
Seating layout isn't a massive thing, seats are on rails. You have to take the seats out anyway so if you are changing seats changing the layout or not doesn't matter.

OTRail

Seating layout isn't a massive thing, seats are on rails. You have to take the seats out anyway so if you are changing seats changing the layout or not doesn't matter.
The point I’m making is that they’re taking a different approach with the 360s as they’re essentially being upgraded for Intercity usage - the plan is for EMR to do the whole hog in one go as opposed to in stages.

fgwrich

Established Member
Didn't seem to bother other TOCs, who have a mish-mash of different seats across their stock. For example, Northern, Scotrail, and indeed EMT...

Who all seem to be standardising on certain types. The Northern fleet has been refurbished with either Fansia's or retaining their Chapmans with the ex BR Stuff being deservedly binned off. ScotRail has also standardising on either Grammer's or Fansia's with most of it's refurbishments, with some fleet's keeping the same seats in good condition where possible. And as for EMR... Well they seem to be standardising on the FISA Lean across their 170, 360 and IET Fleets.

I'm also not sure if Lazzerini still stocks any spares for the XC / WMT Version either.

EMR want it consistent across their 170 fleet. The Scotrail ones I really in need of a refurb though, the seat covers look very tired.

Exactly so. It's not only keeping a consistent look to their fleet, but also keeping a much more simplified spares inventory. That allows EMR to both keep the costs down, and to reduce the space taken up by spares for the seats.

Last edited:

KB59

The point I’m making is that they’re taking a different approach with the 360s as they’re essentially being upgraded for Intercity usage - the plan is for EMR to do the whole hog in one go as opposed to in stages.
You would have thought they would have a couple ready for the launch. Poor show otherwise. Just saying.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You would have thought they would have a couple ready for the launch. Poor show otherwise. Just saying.
I agree completely, but instead they decided to paint a locomotive that will leave their fleet in two months.

OTRail

Yeah I completely agree - makes no sense, especially seeing as these are the first electric trains for the East Midlands franchise. Plan was always to do this, but I would’ve thought Covid would give them time to refurbish them before May, although their transfer was delayed due to Covid and late introduction of the 720s.

DannyMich2018

My partner went to work today and the 10.12 Nott-St Pan was 180110, he said it was lovely and nice and clean inside and out (and no steamed up windows like the 222s).

Azzy49

Yeah but for the 360s the plan was always for them to enter service as is initially - they’ll need a lot more work than the 170s given the interiors will need to be completely revamped amongst other things.
Yeah that's true undoubtedly

My partner went to work today and the 10.12 Nott-St Pan was 180110, he said it was lovely and nice and clean inside and out (and no steamed up windows like the 222s).
The important question is, did it make it to St Pancras without catching fire, breaking down or the doors getting stuck?! :E

Jokes aside, I'm glad to here that it was clean inside and your partner felt comfortable on an EMR service at the moment. I think a lot of work is going into keeping trains as clean as possible currently and is encouraging to hear that people feel that they are clean enough!

If they weren't so unreliable, 180s would be fantastic trains. I always preferred to take the Grand Central services when I was travelling home from uni all those years ago.

Energy

Established Member
If they weren't so unreliable, 180s would be fantastic trains. I always preferred to take the Grand Central services when I was travelling home from uni all those years ago.
180s do seem to be pretty well liked, ignoring their reliability.

py_megapixel

Established Member
180s do seem to be pretty well liked, ignoring their reliability.
If you could wave a magic wand and:
  • Fix the reliability issues
  • Remove that nasty whine which occurs on the inside occasionally
  • Get rid of the FirstGroup pink/blue branding
then they would be hands down the best intercity train with a diesel engine anywhere in the country. Yes, that includes the HSTs and IETs.

DannyMich2018

The important question is, did it make it to St Pancras without catching fire, breaking down or the doors getting stuck?! :E

Jokes aside, I'm glad to here that it was clean inside and your partner felt comfortable on an EMR service at the moment. I think a lot of work is going into keeping trains as clean as possible currently and is encouraging to hear that people feel that they are clean enough!

Yes according to RTT it arrived at St Pancras bang on time so no problems!!
Appear to be getting better and not sure if the 3rd planned diagram has started yet?
EMR always have plenty of staff walking through the train keeping them clean.
It's a shame they have a reputation of been unreliable because they certainly are a better looking train than the 222s (in my opinion anyway!) :)

OTRail

Lovely, why did the bother putting "170417" on the side and putting "170531" where the numbers usually are? I think a different font is used too.
This was rectified on the ex-Scotrail when they returned to Derby - if you look closely, 531’s numbers are on the front and side as per the ex-Scotrail units (the front number was later applied to the /4s prior to service entry)

Ryry

3 class 156s have now gone to barrow hill for storage, looks to be ex greater Anglia, movement probably prep for northern

py_megapixel

Established Member
3 class 156s have now gone to barrow hill for storage, looks to be ex greater Anglia, movement probably prep for northern
I thought Northern had only signed up for ex EMT examples; the ex Anglia ones have the disadvantage of having the wrong PA equipment for compatibility with the rest of Northern's fleet

LowLevel

Established Member
I thought Northern had only signed up for ex EMT examples; the ex Anglia ones have the disadvantage of having the wrong PA equipment for compatibility with the rest of Northern's fleet

No, the Anglia units are booked an overhaul to Northern's spec.

The ones at Barrow Hill will apparently be back with EMR.

LowLevel

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.