• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC onboard map

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that rules out our set being a 91 anymore, does anyone know where the wifi transmitter is on a class 43, as when it was in the shed at the cross it looked like the reading was coming from halfway up the train.

Its at the north end of coach J, above the buffet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
We not only have a class 43 now but it is a flying class 43 that doesn't need track lol.

View attachment 8594
Google maps obviously couldn't be bothered to even attempt to map out the intracacies of the track layout around Doncaster Carr then!

Now I don't know what the speed limits are along the route between Gainsborough and Doncaster, but would that HST really have been doing 114mph past Finningley and Robin Hood Airport as the map was showing? :shock:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I believe that's called a tunnel
No, it's not, it's just the reasonably complex set of junctions around Doncaster Carr that Google couldn't be bothered to map.
Its at the north end of coach J, above the buffet
In which case somebody is going to have to identify one of the carriages in the set that is transmitting in order to work out which rake it's formed in, as the power cars will keep on changing.

It's nice of East Coast to give us some variety, not only through changing which of their trains is being tracked, but also by using an HST, where both power cars will be swapped over every now and again (I know that the 91 on the previous electric set would also have been changed periodically, but at least the DVT, 82218, stayed the same).

networkrail1

Now I don't know what the speed limits are along the route between Gainsborough and Doncaster, but would that HST really have been doing 114mph past Finningley and Robin Hood Airport as the map was showing? :shock:

Speed limit on that line is no where near capable of 80 let alone 114mph, its been a while but i think the line speed is between 60mph and 70mph on that stretch, but its been a while since i have worked on it or looked at the sectional appendix so could of changed.

Its a bit like earlier when we saw the set doing 106mph through the middle of Lincoln station, not a chance the line is set for 106mph running.

All the best.

Simon

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Speed limit on that line is no where near capable of 80 let alone 114mph, its been a while but i think the line speed is between 60mph and 70mph on that stretch, but its been a while since i have worked on it or looked at the sectional appendix so could of changed.

Its a bit like earlier when we saw the set doing 106mph through the middle of Lincoln station, not a chance the line is set for 106mph running.

All the best.

Simon

No, it's gone to Neville Hill via Hambleton Jn, after using the Joint Line from Lincoln.

Speeds displayed are often way above the line speed since it left Newark.

It could be the feed changed half way through the day today as the 0708 KX-YRK and 1001 YRK-KX is booked mark IV, and is then booked to work the 1305 KX-LDS. The 1308 KX-YRK is however booked to be formed off the 0700 HULL-KX, which goes out to Fir Park and comes back for the 1308 service which is then booked to work the 1601 YRK-KX and the 1906 KX-LINCOLN, then ECS to NL.

dbrb2

Speed should be fixed now (again)

I can query the system for its ID, and use that to choose the conversion factor, but it appears that every so often the system ID changes, and sometimes the new system uses different units...

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
On the other hand, its been displaying the correct speed when using the on-board wi-fi for many days now. (Thanks)

I could also add that a few days ago, while the internet-enabled unit was apparently at Bounds Green, there was in fact no HSTs there, and only one 91 set (which was all blue while previously it had been the position of an all-grey set). This implied that the unit we were watching had been moved out of one set and may, just may, have been moved into a blue set, but more probably was on the workshop.

networkrail1

Ok now its showing on the blocks in Leeds station doing 0mph, which has confused me because if it is in fact a hst and the wifi is in the buffet car then how can it be showing dead on the blocks, where a power car should be. :-?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
[if] the wifi is in the buffet car then how can it be showing dead on the blocks, where a power car should be. :-?
I wonder if there might be a simple misunderstanding here?
The IT equipment in the buffet may well be the core of the system, and I have no reason to doubt YorkshireRider in saying that the transmitter is also located above the buffet, however, the GPS receiver may be elsewhere. In fact, I'm inclined to believe that the positional information we have seen strongly suggests that, on electric sets, it has been giving us the position of the DVT.

The GPS receiver and web-enabled transmitter needn't be in the same place, and probably are not.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I think we have therefore more or less established that the signal is now switching from set to set periodically.

Maybe to stop things like the signal being stuck at Bounds Green for an extended length of time??

RolandR

Looks like I was proven correct in the end. Our train is currently sat in Leeds station. It took a much longer route than I expected and it wasn't carrying any passengers when it arrived. After passing Neville Hill I now expect it to reverse back up to the depot.

networkrail1

Thank you Dave.

The only reason i believed otherwise was when it was stood in kings cross the logo was showing halfway up the shed, roughly where a buffet car is normally positioned.

If it was in fact showing the power car then the power car on the country end would of been fouling gas works tunnel.

I can only confirm the transmitter for a mark IV is above the DVT and for a HST above the buffet, it could well be the GPS reciever is elsewhere though.

marks87

Established Member
I'm kind of hoping that with the set sitting in Neville Hill, it'll form 1S03 07.10 LDS-ABD, which means we'll get to see it north of Edinburgh.

marks87

Established Member
Looks like it's now doing 5Y12 ECS to Bounds Green.
Now appears to be 1N85 13.08 KGX-YRK.

Mainliner

Looks like it's now doing 5Y12 ECS to Bounds Green.
Now appears to be 1N85 13.08 KGX-YRK.

Hmmm, could it be back down in KGX between 6.30/7pm? I'll be there then, might be able to check the power cars, if we still think it's a HST.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Hmmm, could it be back down in KGX between 6.30/7pm? I'll be there then, might be able to check the power cars, if we still think it's a HST.
It should be arriving back at Kings Cross at 18:28, on the 16:01 from York, so yes it should be there at that time. :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Do East Midlands Trains use Icomera as their service provider? Only I'm doing a First Class HST bash on Monday and this would be rather interesting....

It should be arriving back at Kings Cross at 18:28, on the 16:01 from York, so yes it should be there at that time. :)

It should make the 1906 Lincoln service for a second evening running, it may be the ex EMT set which now belongs to EC as this set can work this diagram often

frequent flyer

Appears to be running from Lincoln up North, joined the mainline just south of Doncaster, passed through at about 15 mph and is now picking up speed.

marks87

Established Member
It should make the 1906 Lincoln service for a second evening running, it may be the ex EMT set which now belongs to EC as this set can work this diagram often
I may be wrong, but I don't think the ex EMT set has WiFi.

Or rather, it doesn't have it switched on because it's not EC WiFi.

14xxDave

Now here's a question. I would have thought that the GPS/WiFi kit would need power to operate but the times that the set has stood on shed we still have a position/signal. Does this mean that the set isn't powered down either fully or in standby mode? Just curious....

Dave

pmgarvey

I can only presume the server of whatever company is running the WiFi just assumes it hasn't moved since you last got a message from it (so if the GPS/WiFi cut out whilst it was in the countryside it may well show it sat there until it was fixed). It's also eminently possible it continues current trajectory if it loses the connection, but I doubt its because they leave it connected to the train's actual GPS.

Diverted

EMT set does have Wifi & sockets now. Wifi on a HST is based in the Buffet car.

The wifi will continue to work so long as it can get supply and I'm sure there is some sort of battery which is effectively charged by the train that everything runs off. I do believe the system also has a UPS to prevent it losing power in such instances of power loss or going through neutral sections in the overheads, normally these things can run for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.