• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Diversions 21st & 22nd Jan 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rower40

Why are no trains serving Darlington and Durham today, but there appear to be no possessions or engineering work on?
Thanks...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesT

Established Member
Why are no trains serving Darlington and Durham today, but there appear to be no possessions or engineering work on?
Thanks...
https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/travelling-now/travel-alerts/ says

Buses replace trains between York and Newcastle on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 January​

Engineering work is taking place between Darlington and Durham / Newcastle, closing some lines.
If the engineering work isn’t actually occurring, presumably it was cancelled too late for the train operators to change their timetable back?

Established Member
Engineering work is still on going, main area is Durham, but also at several places between Northallerton and Newcastle.

There is track work and also signal and telecommunications work going on.

DanNCL

Established Member
Believe the opportunity is also being taken for Highways England to work on the new A1 bridge across the ECML north of Tyne Yard during these closures.

LNER are diverting via the Durham Coast, running non stop between Newcastle and York. TPE and XC are running replacement buses.

SteveP29

I hope they're going to iron out the kink in the rails at Grace College/ Team Valley.
There's a pronounced shift from side to side through that small section, been like that for years

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any idea how busy the LNER diverts are on these days ? I'm thinking of going to a football match in the Newcastle area in a couple of weeks and won't be using a RRB if I can avoid it.

johnr57

Ive returned to Northallerton on the 1830 Edinburgh Kings Cross service on the last 3 Sundays and they have been lightly loaded.

a question for those who will know - why does the 800 stay on Diesel between Northallerton and York?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Ive returned to Northallerton on the 1830 Edinburgh Kings Cross service on the last 3 Sundays and they have been lightly loaded.

a question for those who will know - why does the 800 stay on Diesel between Northallerton and York?
Nowhere for them to changeover on the move?

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Cheers for the info. Sounds as though they may not be too bad an option.

endecotp

Does anyone have any idea how busy the LNER diverts are on these days ? I'm thinking of going to a football match in the Newcastle area in a couple of weeks and won't be using a RRB if I can avoid it.
I was on the 1300 KGX to Aberdeen on Saturday, and there were a decent number of unreserved seats free.

greyman42

Established Member
I went from York to the Newcastle v Fulham game a couple of weekends ago and it was full both ways with a few standing, so i would reserve a seat.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I went from York to the Newcastle v Fulham game a couple of weekends ago and it was full both ways with a few standing, so i would reserve a seat.

Cheers. I might check whether "The Toon" are at home that weekend as well !

Established Member

On these diverts they manually change to diesel whilst stationary at Northallerton on the down, and manually change to electric on the up.
The balises for auto power change are temporarily isolated on weekends for the diverts.

There is no need to run diesel to York, so unsure why service you were on did.

I can recall one service been requested by NWR to run diesel from York to Northallerton to allow them to do some OHL work earlier than anticipated.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Newcastle's next 4 weekend home games:

West Ham 4th Feb 5:30pm ko
Liverpool 18th Feb 5:30pm ko
Wolves 12th Mar 2:30pm ko
Man Utd 1st April 3pm ko (subject to change when tv schedules are released)

Hope that helps

Thanks, I might be sharing a train with The Hammers then !

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Thanks, I might be sharing a train with The Hammers then !
I'm guessing you're going to watch South Shields then? :)

With the Toon game not kicking off till 5.30 you might find it busy on the way up but you should be fine on the way home.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm guessing you're going to watch South Shields then? :)

With the Toon game not kicking off till 5.30 you might find it busy on the way up but you should be fine on the way home.

However did you guess !

5:30 sounds like a pain to get home from - rather them than me !

SteveP29

However did you guess !

5:30 sounds like a pain to get home from - rather them than me !
Not as bad as what Sky Sports did to us earlier this month, 8pm kick off at Arsenal on a Monday night, last train AFAIK leaving Kings Cross for Newcastle is at 9pm.

That's just the latest in a long long line of instances of being taken for granted by the FA and Sky Sports.
I remember one year Portsmouth had to come up to Newcastle for a Monday night 8pm fixture, ridiculous.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Not as bad as what Sky Sports did to us earlier this month, 8pm kick off at Arsenal on a Monday night, last train AFAIK leaving Kings Cross for Newcastle is at 9pm.

That's just the latest in a long long line of instances of being taken for granted by the FA and Sky Sports.
I remember one year Portsmouth had to come up to Newcastle for a Monday night 8pm fixture, ridiculous.
I remember a Burnley vs Chelsea midweek game when Chelsea were still running Footex trains. The footex got caught in engineering work and behind last trains so didn't get back to Euston until silly o'clock in the morning.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Dreadful. FA too obsessed with money.

Winthorpe

I remember a Burnley vs Chelsea midweek game when Chelsea were still running Footex trains. The footex got caught in engineering work and behind last trains so didn't get back to Euston until silly o'clock in the morning.

There was a good satire of the modern match day experience in this cartoon ('David Squires on … Going to the Match 2022') in The Guardian:

In particular the bits relating to the rail replacement buses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.