• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML major disruption (03/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
Major disruption on the ECML due to overhead wire damage south of Grantham.

1E03 was the service involved, with its pantograph being ripped off the roof.

Major disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Norm_D_Ploom

Caught up in it at Newcastle. All L ER trains were held but the XC 12.41 to Plymouth went, consequently standing room only doesn't do justice. If anything it was fuller still leaving York as LKX passengers were being directed to Sheffield for LSP.

Ex-controller

Im not sure what has happened to cause such additional delay on arrival at York for 1E08 etc. That looks really excessive for it to all be related to what happened further south.

duncanp

Established Member
Just as well Avanti West Coast are running such a frequent and reliable service along the West Coast Main Line, giving passengers going towards London a viable alternative route.

....Oh wait.....

yoyothehobo

Im not sure what has happened to cause such additional delay on arrival at York for 1E08 etc. That looks really excessive for it to all be related to what happened further south.
I think it was platform space at York, there was a Azuma in platform 11 for a good few hours (originally a southbound service) that left northbound not too long ago. I assume they couldnt take it south and there was no driver available to take it back north and free up the platform and there isnt scope to fill other platforms at York and keep the remainder of the service running. TPE needs to come through platform 3 from scarborough, 5 to scarborough, 9 and 10 for northern or through services. No available northbound terminating bays for LNER.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
And I thought I had it bad when I was delayed at Sandy yesterday morning for 45 minutes. Something to do with a level crossing fault. Still, I should get delay repay as I missed my connection at Grantham.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just as well Avanti West Coast are running such a frequent and reliable service along the West Coast Main Line, giving passengers going towards London a viable alternative route.

....Oh wait.....
yeah, awful.

oh wait. 2 an hour from both Manchester and Birmingham. Yes, there are some cancellations today but two trains an hour from two locations that can be reached from ECML stations is pretty good if not perfect.

More of an issue is the impact on capacity of the Commonwealth games on Birmingham trains.

johnnychips

Established Member
Currently on EMR which has been diverted between Nottingham and Peterborough via Oakham. Very well organised at short notice, and lots of info given by staff. Should end up about 25 late, which is very acceptable.

Established Member
Currently on EMR which has been diverted between Nottingham and Peterborough via Oakham. Very well organised at short notice, and lots of info given by staff. Should end up about 25 late, which is very acceptable.
Just shows how useful the 2 early morning services via Melton are. Noticed 1L06 got as far as Grantham before reversing back to Nottingham and via Melton to get to Peterborough.

Potently the line has reopened (at least for diesel) as 1N95 (running empty to York but with same headcode?) has passed north and 1A95 is currently running south between Peterborough and Grantham looking at Open train times.

Twingo37175

Potently the line has reopened (at least for diesel) as 1N95 (running empty to York but with same headcode?) has passed north and 1A95 is currently running south between Peterborough and Grantham looking at Open train times.
I assume fully opened given 1A39 (15:45 ex Leeds) is now at Newark heading South (this being an 801 unit)

malc-c

Chose today to do some videoing at Peterborough !! The 9.30 KX to Edinburgh was at the platform when I arrived around 10:30, and didn't depart until 2pm. Chatted to the driver a couple of times, and I must say that given the number of times passengers asked him for any news he remained very professional and up beat considering he was facing a long day after the crew change at Newcastle. A few other services (Hull Trains) advanced under diesel power, and then things started to flow NB around 2.30pm so presumably at least 1 line NB was restored.

ricoblade

I assume fully opened given 1A39 (15:45 ex Leeds) is now at Newark heading South (this being an 801 unit)
Hopefully, I'm on the 07:57 Retford to Edinburgh tomorrow morning and will be returning late afternoon sometime.

duncanp

Established Member
yeah, awful.

oh wait. 2 an hour from both Manchester and Birmingham. Yes, there are some cancellations today but two trains an hour from two locations that can be reached from ECML stations is pretty good if not perfect.

More of an issue is the impact on capacity of the Commonwealth games on Birmingham trains.

It is supposed to be two trains an hour from Manchester and Birmingham, but as usual there have been several cancellations today.

Three successive trains from Birmingham New Street to London Euston have been cancelled today (the 16:50, 17:30 and 17:50).

Great for people trying to get home from the Commonwealth Games, as well as any potential refugees from the East Coast Main Line.

Andyh82

Established Member
I think it was platform space at York, there was a Azuma in platform 11 for a good few hours (originally a southbound service) that left northbound not too long ago. I assume they couldnt take it south and there was no driver available to take it back north and free up the platform and there isnt scope to fill other platforms at York and keep the remainder of the service running. TPE needs to come through platform 3 from scarborough, 5 to scarborough, 9 and 10 for northern or through services. No available northbound terminating bays for LNER.
That’s not the case anymore as the vast majority of Scarborough TPE services run as a shuttle so use the bay platform. There are only one or two that run to/from Leeds

merry

Looking at the signal diagrams, looks like the up&down fast are blocked (NOGO) York to Church Fenton. All on slows. That's not going to help capacity...

High Dyke

Established Member
EMR commenced running through on the Liverpool - Norwich route about an hour ago, albeit with some delays. Been a quiet afternoon up to that point for me.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I thought it seemed busy at Leeds this evening. They'd left the barriers open so must have been bad !

Monkeyhead

My missus is on something just south of Grantham that has hit a deer and is quite broken apparently. She’s not had the best day out in London today

High Dyke

Established Member
My missus is on something just south of Grantham that has hit a deer and is quite broken apparently. She’s not had the best day out in London today
1S30 reported hitting a deer. Has got moving again, but now a bit of a queue behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.