• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edgeley Junction Signalling Arrangements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi ,
Whilst talking with a number of forum members the other day we were talking about signalling arrangements and one thing that came to mind was the change from approach control to normal signalling measures at Edgeley Junction towards Hazel Grove.

It made me wonder if anyone knows what happened to allow this change, as it seemed to happen quite suddenly (a number of years ago)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi ,
Whilst talking with a number of forum members the other day we were talking about signalling arrangements and one thing that came to mind was the change from approach control to normal signalling measures at Edgeley Junction towards Hazel Grove.

It made me wonder if anyone knows what happened to allow this change, as it seemed to happen quite suddenly (a number of years ago)?
What did the speed on the Up Slow through the junction used to be? It’s now 30mph (vs 25mph towards the Hope Valley) so it’s conceivable that the straight speed was reduced to allow the approach release to be dispensed with.

It’s still approach released from red for routes from the Up Fast to the Up Slow or towards the Hope Valley, where there is a significant differential between straight and diverging routes.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What did the speed on the Up Slow through the junction used to be? It’s now 30mph (vs 25mph towards the Hope Valley) so it’s conceivable that the straight speed was reduced to allow the approach release to be dispensed with.

I suspect you are right.

jfollows

Established Member
The Up Slow was 40mph in the late 1970s from my notes, diagram attached.
This presumably meant that EY1 26 was approach controlled when the route was set for the branch, which meant that (until November 1981) this was doubly annoying at weekends when Adswood Road box was switched out, meaning that the Up Slow after Edgeley Junction No. 1 couldn't be used anyway, although technically the direct route from EY1 26 could still be set of course.

Attachments

• Stockport around 1980.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
CH 2/5 was also approach controlled prior to its replacement with flashing yellow aspects; I remember a trip from Manchester to Macclesfield in 21 minutes back in the day with 86+5 VB coaches, nothing unusual except that there was a 20mph temporary slack when the oil sidings between Bramhall and Poynton were removed but the driver was determined not to allow this to prevent him running on time into Macclesfield. I think his interpretation of the approach control at CH 2/5 was "it always comes off so I don't need to plan on stopping", and fortunately it did.

CH 2/5 was also approach controlled prior to its replacement with flashing yellow aspects; I remember a trip from Manchester to Macclesfield in 21 minutes back in the day with 86+5 VB coaches, nothing unusual except that there was a 20mph temporary slack when the oil sidings between Bramhall and Poynton were removed but the driver was determined not to allow this to prevent him running on time into Macclesfield. I think his interpretation of the approach control at CH 2/5 was "it always comes off so I don't need to plan on stopping", and fortunately it did.
Ah, the days before TPWS OSS interfering with driving technique

Status
Not open for further replies.