• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh [EDB] - London Super off peak return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Established Member
I'm travelling down on Thursday and would like to visit a friend in High Wycombe on Saturday. Is my ticket valid from Marylebone to High Wycombe, breaking journey (possibly overnight) and back to Edinburgh via Birmingham, I notice it's not valid on XC from Birmingham, but Virgin is cheaper. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do you mean Birmingham - Manchester or Birmingham - NE England - Edinburgh?

John @ home

Established Member
I think Liam means that, surprisingly, London - Birmingham - Derby - York - Edinburgh is not shown as a Permitted Route for the return portion of an Edinburgh - London ticket on map AS.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes I see. Must be the lack of sleep last night affecting my brains. The line between Birmingham - Tamworth - Derby is missing. I doubt the guard would say anything though, not that I recommend chancing it.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Rather strange :| If you really wanted to, you could take XC north from Derby by going via Nuneaton or Stoke-on-Trent. I wouldn't think an XC guard would question it either (especially if their train is going to Edin), but maybe it's been left off the map for a reason in which case they might have a problem.

XC via Manchester is of course allowed.

scotsman

Established Member
Hold on, if the XC is going to Edinburgh - doesn't that mean that the routing guide has no effect, unless there is a specific easement that states otherwise?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Hold on, if the XC is going to Edinburgh - doesn't that mean that the routing guide has no effect, unless there is a specific easement that states otherwise?

Only if it was a through train from London to Edinburgh, which it isn't.

I had actually noticed this too recently - was looking for good value fares for a friend of mine who needs to travel from Oxford to Edinburgh with the outward journey on Fri 27th, stopping off overnight in Leeds, then returning from Edinburgh on Mon 30th, preferably straight to Oxford (although a stopover in Leeds would be possible if it led to cheaper fares).

I looked at this quite a while ago and there seemed to be no cheap advances going to Edinburgh on the Saturday because the West Coast Main Line is closed somewhere. So I decided a SVR OXF-EDB rte NOT LONDON was the best option - £79.60 with a Y-P railcard and available any time (8X restriction). But more recently I noticed the SSR from London Terminals to Edinburgh undercuts this at £75.65, and via Birmingham takes an 8X restriction so no issues for heading northwards on the Friday evening. But I also came up against the problem that going direct from Birmingham to Derby doesn't seem to be allowed on map AS, which means she couldn't take the mid-afternoon direct train from Oxford to Leeds - which otherwise would have been very handy. Manchester to Leeds direct also seems to be barred from map AS. Very strange.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I take it that you mean because he's on a direct train?

His ticket is Edinburgh - London Terminals and he is not travelling direct London Terminals - Edinburgh. He had a break of journey and is travelling Birmingham - Edinburgh therefore the direct train rule does not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.