• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to London 29 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasaangelica

Hello,

I think I was lucky to find this forum. I need to travel from Edinburgh (Waverly station) to London (zone 1/ Earl's court) on sun 29 january. Anytime but preferably in the morning. I have a student card but no railcards. My husband will be travelling with me. I can find increasingly expensive tickets and need a cheper option. Can you help me find one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

try the east coast website they had a sale on which finished on dec 19th but i still booked tickets at the sale price on the 2nd of jan .

causton

Established Member
Some flights from Edinburgh to London are £19.99 for that date if you're really quick (I looked at easyJet) - might be the cheapest way at this notice! Can't see any good Advance tickets left at that time I'm afraid :(

sasaangelica

The flights after adding luggage expenses will be expensive and going to Edinburgh airport or moving from London airport will cost summingly a lot.

If you can't find a good ticket, can you even tell me where is the cheapest site to buy from, please?

Bungle73

On Moderation
The flights after adding luggage expenses will be expensive and going to Edinburgh airport or moving from London airport will cost summingly a lot.

If you can't find a good ticket, can you even tell me where is the cheapest site to buy from, please?

East Coast's site, because sometimes you can a discount on their own services through their website.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
East Coast's site, because sometimes you can a discount on their own services through their website.
Yes. On that date, most of the Advances are now £45.05 (each person, discounted) and booking this close to the date of travel, that's probs about as cheap as you'll find - even 'splitting' tickets somewhere en-route is unlikely to save you anything. (Just pop back a little later to see if anyone else has found you a cheaper 'split' - I couldn't.)

The good news is that these £45.05 prices are available on about 20 different trains that day, so although you will commit yourself to just one of these trains when you buy, you will have a wide choice of times (departing between 9am and 5pm) to choose from.

John @ home

Established Member
Hi sasaangelica,

Welcome to the forum!

East Coast currently have a Reader Offer running in a number of regional newspapers offering Edinburgh - London on some trains for £12 Standard Single or £35 First Class Single. Unfortunately there are no £12 tickets left for 29 January but £35 tickets are still on sale for 13 trains on that day, including all seven direct trains between 0900 and 1200.

You will need some vouchers from the newspapers, but that can be dealt with later. Once you have made 5 posts on the forum, the system will allow you to send Private Messages (PMs) to other members. For now, the urgent thing is for you to get some of these £35 tickets before they sell out.

To do this, go to one of the newspaper's web sites, such as my local Yorkshire Evening Post. Click on the East Coast advert on the home page. This takes you to a page on the newspaper's site giving full details of the offer, where you need to enter name, address and phone and email details. Then you are taken to a special part of the East Coast site where the reduced price tickets are available.

There are lots of restrictions: no changes, no refunds, no child or Railcard discounts, book by 21 January and at least 2 weeks before travel, not available at half-term, internet booking only, tickets must be collected from an East Coast machine at a station, etc.

Vouchers are being printed daily in the Yorkshire Evening Post until 13 January. Four vouchers are needed to use (but not to buy) the tickets and one set of 4 is valid for a single or return journey by up to 4 people. The dates and number of vouchers may vary a little in other newspapers.

Other newspapers offering this include Newcastle Evening Chronicle, Northern Echo, Scarborough Evening News and Sunderland Echo.

Last edited:

sasaangelica

Thanks a lot John@home. That was very useful.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But Please John tell me do I need to buy these newspapers or would I just print those vouchers from the internet. I don't live in the UK so I won't be able to get those newspapers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I tried that but it doesn't seem to work with my travel dates.

dzug2

You would need to buy the newspapers for the offer

post 6 is your best bet - don't leave it too long or those fares may go up

John @ home

Established Member
do I need to buy these newspapers or would I just print those vouchers from the internet.
You need to travel with the tokens printed in the newspapers. They are not available on the internet.
I don't live in the UK so I won't be able to get those newspapers.
That shouldn't be a problem. Send me a PM once you have posted 5 messages on this forum.
I tried that but it doesn't seem to work with my travel dates.
This surprises me. I still see availability for 2 adults First Class for a total of £70 on Sunday 29 January on the 0900, 0930, 1000, 1030, 1055, 1130 and 1200 Edinburgh - Kings Cross trains. Is there a return leg to this journey that we don't yet know about? Once again, send me a PM once you have made 5 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.