• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to London via Maccelesfield Permitted Route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringo

I have any permitted open return (super off peak) to return to London from Edinburgh and i'd like to break the journey at Maccelsfield. This seems to mean Edinburgh to Preston then change to get to Macclesfield then continue to London after breaking the journey.

However, I can't figure out whether this is a permitted route. Any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
You can't get a Preston-Macclesfield train unless you go back in time.

You'll need to change at Manchester Piccadilly to get a Macclesfield train. You may or may not need to change at Preston as well.

From Manchester any service to or via Stoke calls at Macclesfield.

Established Member
From Manchester any service to or via Stoke calls at Macclesfield.

During the Daytime only 3/5 services between Manchester-Stoke call at Macclesfield, one of which is a (most station) stopper.

xx27 CrossCountry service (Exclusing 1727 and 1827)
xx35 Virgin Trains service
xx48 Northern Stopper

Additionally the 1706 calls at Macclesfield instead of Stockport, with the 1806 also calling.
During the evening the xx15 ex-Manchester calls at Macclesfield instead of the xx35.
Plus there is the additional stopper at 1717.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
During the Daytime only 3/5 services between Manchester-Stoke call at Macclesfield, one of which is a (most station) stopper.

xx27 CrossCountry service (Exclusing 1727 and 1827)
xx35 Virgin Trains service
xx48 Northern Stopper

Additionally the 1706 calls at Macclesfield instead of Stockport, with the 1806 also calling.
During the evening the xx15 ex-Manchester calls at Macclesfield instead of the xx35.
Plus there is the additional stopper at 1717.

Yes, I wrote something I didn't mean. I meant all the services going to Macclesfield go to or via Stoke, although that applies for the standard pattern but doesn't apply for a few trains that start/terminate at Macclesfield.

And of course the controversial 17:17 stopper, which isn't popular with Mid-Cheshire line passengers as it means the departures from Manchester for Chester via Altrincham are 16:17, 17:09, 18:17 with 17:09 being a bit too early for most Manchester commuters, while 17:17 would be an ideal time.

Status
Not open for further replies.