• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Waverley & Haymarket Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Travelling from York, on the ECML. And yes, my ticket did work the barriers. But it wasn't valid.

There ought to be an 'Edinburgh Stns' group with them both in - discuss!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just done a search for posts by reb0118 containing Haymarket, as I knew this had cropped up recently...

It's my understanding (with some experience) that long distance travellers are not prevented from using Waverley and Haymarket stations interchangeably on an Edinburgh ticket.

I realise that this isn't an official policy and perhaps shouldn't be relied on, but when the alternative is to apologise saying "okay, I'll just go back to the platform, onto the next train, jump off at the other end and walk back along Princes Street in this rain / wind / sleet / snow", I'd expect the reply to be "Dinnae be daft. On you go."

As a guard who works through Haymarket on a daily basis I can tell you that you will have no problems alighting at Haymarket with an Edinburgh ticket (or vice versa). If you have not already purchased the EDB - HYM single then don't bother. I know most of the lads on the barrier there and you will have no bother ~ or indeed nae bother!

I will try to see if I can find anything in writing that will confirm the above - but that said I have known tickets for EDB & HYM to be interchangeable for at least the past 20 years.

CallySleeper

Established Member
There was at one time (an Edinburgh Stations group [not just routing point]), and I agree there should be an official easement allowing this, rather than what seems to be an unwritten one.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There ought to be an 'Edinburgh Stns' group with them both in - discuss!
The rail industry does not like to do things the proper way. Same with Blackpool.

It's similar to the Routeing Guide: rather than fix it properly, there are hundreds of "easements".

Doing things properly requires good management and co-operation, and that's severely lacking.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm glad that yorkie has found my recent post on this matter. It really isn't an issue worth any further thought, assuming that there is nothing else untoward about the journey.

As for asking staff en route, then the majority of long-distance services on the ECML which go on to Haymarket will have a change of guard at Waverley, and who will not be inspecting tickets between those 2 stations. Gateline staff at Haymarket receiving a ticket to Edinburgh will not be interested. The place to be concerned is the barriers at Waverley - you will normally be passing through the 12 - 18 barriers to board a Scot Rail service, and may have arrives on the southern island platforms 8 or 9, which often have human barriers. If you are polite, confident, friendly and open, then they are unlikely to want to delay you a moment longer.

island

Veteran Member
Indeed. There is a local arrangement that tickets to/from Edinburgh and Haymarket are valid interchangeably at either station.

34D

Established Member
Would one expect that one could enter Haymarket station having an Apex from Waverley to York okay?

And potentially go from a barriered platform at Waverley to the GNER platform?

island

Veteran Member
Would one expect that one could enter Haymarket station having an Apex from Waverley to York okay?

Neither of those things are possible, in that "Apex" is not a ticket type, and "GNER" does not have any platforms :P

najaB

Veteran Member

I think granddad just woke up from his nap! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.