• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Editing The Tube Map (contains huge image)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
Very nice. I like the way you have incorporated the Croydon Tramlink.

I suppose you could add Finsbury Park - Highgate - Alexandra Palace on the Northern Line as described here

Maybe you could have a branch off the Jubilee line to the abandoned platforms at Charing Cross :)

And maybe Holborn to Aldwych too (good luck fitting that in!) and Addison Road?

Feathers44

This looks good.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who's ever attempted this. My attempt stalled when I tried to route the old Chelsea-Hackney line route through the middle of it.

londiscape

You could add the link between Mill Hill East and Edgware via Mill Hill (The Hale) - closed to passengers in 1939 (thanks Wikipedia!)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Bakerloo extension to Hayes via Catford. Could require a fair bit of imagination.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Extend the W&C to Victoria, it's a fiddly journey from Waterloo, requiring a change, at present.

theshillito

I feel that there aught to be some differentiation between past, present and future on the map, but looks great so far!

Not sure how I feel about Aldwych (misspelt as Aldwich by the way) being marked as step-free, since the lifts stopping working were part of its closure reasoning, but I guess anything's possible.

Railfan2156

Finsbury Park to Moorgate (Northern City Line)

Good Idea
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You could add the link between Mill Hill East and Edgware via Mill Hill (The Hale) - closed to passengers in 1939 (thanks Wikipedia!)

And hen to Stanmore and Heathrow...
What about Acton Town to South Acton?

Maybe. As London Overground, do you mean?
Extend the W&C to Victoria, it's a fiddly journey from Waterloo, requiring a change, at present.

I can vouch that it is VERY fiddly!
I feel that there aught to be some differentiation between past, present and future on the map, but looks great so far!

Not sure how I feel about Aldwych (misspelt as Aldwich by the way) being marked as step-free, since the lifts stopping working were part of its closure reasoning, but I guess anything's possible.

Hmm, difficult. Maybe I could cheat with 'Fare Zones' of time :lol:. As for Aldwich (sic), I see you spotted my little in-joke ;).
What about all the abandoned new works programmes e.g. central line from west ruislip to denham?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Works_Programme
Given that I've gone to Ongar (and beyond), it would make sense.
Looks very good. What software are you using?
Windows XP's version of Microsoft Paint, shipped with the OS.
Here we are:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140826192924/locomotive/images/9/99/Tube_map_of_the_future.PNG

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm a little confused by "Alexandra House". I can't find any reference to anything round that area called that (apart from Alexandra Palace).

table38

Established Member
Looking good... I've always wanted to design a Tube system for Manchester, so maybe I'll give it a go!

And speaking personally, the sooner they link Euston Square up to Euston (or at least move the entrance to the other end of the platforms) the better. I know it's a bit OCD, but I paced out the platform and then the same distance above ground, so I know exactly where I'd put it :)

In fact while we are fantasising, a link from Euston Square over the road to Warren Street would be a piece of cake for a modern TBM (although we might have to close the Euston Underpass).

Oh and as one of your many unofficial proof readers, the "Finsbury Park" text has gone off a bit east...
I'm a little confused by "Alexandra House". I can't find any reference to anything round that area called that (apart from Alexandra Palace).

Is it like "Buck House"? :)

Oh, the reminds me, you forgot to add the secret underground line and station the Royals use to escape from London in times of peril!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Romford to Upminster line (soon to become London Overground)

Also when was Crossrail heading to Reading West?

MotCO

Established Member
What about including stations which have been closed, e.g. Down Street and Brompton Road on the Piccadilly Line, or changing those back to their original names, e.g. Strand (now Charing Cross - Northern Line)

Railfan2156

Looking good... I've always wanted to design a Tube system for Manchester, so maybe I'll give it a go!

Speaking of fictional ones, I have been designimg thes kind of thing for Exeter and Butlins Minehead. here is the - very, very unfinished - Exeter One:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140827065256/locomotive/images/9/91/Exeter_Metro.PNG
Wondering about the minor stations missed out on Crossrail too - was that a space isssue?

Yes, Unfortunatley. and as for reading West, when did the Central Line go to Chelmsford? It's my futre tube map :)
What about including stations which have been closed, e.g. Down Street and Brompton Road on the Piccadilly Line, or changing those back to their original names, e.g. Strand (now Charing Cross - Northern Line)

Maybe as a slightly longer term project, yes
Would you consider adding the former met stations beyond Amersham or is that too much?

Nothing is too much for the kind of person who posts RailUk updates at 20:20 in the evning :lol:!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Speaking of fictional ones, I have been designing this kind of thing for Butlins Minehead.

Having just had the misfortune of spending a week there, I trust that this system gives lots of links to the WSR so that one could escape very quickly if one is forced to book the place again in the future?

Railfan2156

Having just had the misfortune of spending a week there, I trust that this system gives lots of links to the WSR so that one could escape very quickly if one is forced to book the place again in the future?

The WSR Station Concourse (near teh Ticket Office) is the terminus of two of the lines, and the Bus Stops and Minehead are also linked in majorly. It is on paper, but I will soon add it to the computer, so it will be available soon.
Here we go, new metropllitan statuons, and a bit of cleaning. Sorry, I didn't finish, I just got bored of chopping up johtson.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140828071524/locomotive/images/9/99/Tube_map_of_the_future.PNG

Last edited:

trivran

If we're doing tube maps, here's one I made earlier. Has not been updated in a couple of years and started getting rather silly towards the end of it.

As to working with paint, I find the best thing to do is use the existing pieces as much as possible, which gives a much nicer look. For example, for your junction at South Acton, might I recommend taking the junction at Willesden Junction, flipping it and placing it there instead? You can always 'rebuild' the Piccadilly and District lines if needs be.

Railfan2156

If we're doing tube maps, here's one I made earlier. Has not been updated in a couple of years and started getting rather silly towards the end of it.

As to working with paint, I find the best thing to do is use the existing pieces as much as possible, which gives a much nicer look. For example, for your junction at South Acton, might I recommend taking the junction at Willesden Junction, flipping it and placing it there instead? You can always 'rebuild' the Piccadilly and District lines if needs be.
I do ususally do that, I just thought - given the angles - I could try soumething else. That's how I do text, I take letters and put them in order. A tiresome progress.

Your tube map was really impressive - all the station names ect. are very neatly managed, and the whole thing seems very proffesional - some day i might make one as good as that, some day I might...:lol:
Going on holiday untill the 3rd, so I won't be able to post any updates untill then. I look forward to any suggestions!

laird

Addition of Reading West seems an unusual choice especially at the loss of the proposed Reading East.

And to add a challenge, the new Crossrail Northern extension toward Tring?

MK Tom

Established Member
Nice work!

Couple of spelling errors though, ''Wendother'' and ''Emersham Park'' I noticed.

59CosG95

Established Member

Rate you're going with the District, you might as well convert ALL the subsurface lines to 25kv operation!

But, that aside, why not add the proposed (but not safeguarded) Crossrail 3 into play, alongside CR2's new route? CR3 connects the WCML corridor w/ services to the south.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Rate you're going with the District, you might as well convert ALL the subsurface lines to 25kv operation!

Ohh, has someone been tapping into my wibble? Well, not quite:

I need to have a quick go at some of this lark. Changes I'd make:

Grade separate the Picadilly and District. Send the Picadilly to Ealing Broadway where it would burrow under, surface at West Ealing and run to terminate at Greenford.

District then goes to Uxbridge.

Bakerloo surfaces briefly at Queens park, but then goes underground again to run north west.

North London line fully four-track from Camden Road West Junction to Dalston, with Watford services running to New Cross then onto Orpington as a CrossRail route, extended under Watford Junction to run to St Albans.

All LO and Subsurface Lines converted to 25kV AC.

Al LO and Subsurface Line platforms rebuilt (at staggeringly large expense) to be 200m with Platform Edge Doors and near as possible step/gap free- obviously with full step free access to every single platform.

Crossrail 2, I'd ditch the current north end plan. Instead, I'd have it surface at Bethnal Green and Stratford. I'd give Cambridge/Stansted services separate tracks from Hackney Downs to Harlow Town. Like so:

Status
Not open for further replies.