• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency passport for Ireland (expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi all,

I am due to visit family in Ireland Friday coming for a important surprise visit, but found out yesterday that my passport has expired by a couple of weeks. I have tried all day and night to get the emergency booking online for the one day turnaround but it’s proved impossible so far.

Usually I am well aware of checking things beforehand but it’s thrown me a little this time round as I have chosen Ryanair and there ID requirements differ to other airlines. My family have flown here before with other photo ID so I didn’t even think to check till reviewing flight info after booking (Ryanair require Passport ID).

Has anyone had any recent experience using this emergency service and/ or are able to provide any suggestions to try and make my trip possible.

I live in Bedfordshire, some friends have told me to drive to the offices in Peterborough and it can be rectified but staff over the phone stated I would be turned away if I did this without a appointment so I ain’t too sure what to do, I don’t want to commit a 2/3 hour round trip for nothing,

thanks James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
If there is no guarantee you can get a passport renewal in time, and your chosen airline requires a valid passport, then it would be sensible to check alternative routings (different airline, ferries etc)

What would work best rather depends on which part of Ireland you are trying to get to.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’m assuming this is the Republic of Ireland. If all else fails rebook with Aer Lingus who accept the following:

• Valid passport or Irish passport card
  • Driver’s licence with photo
  • International student card
  • Government issued photo ID cards
  • Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo
  • Bus pass with photo
  • Work ID with photo.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Ryanair won't take you without a passport so don't consider trying that, as above rebooking with another airline that will accept other ID or going by rail/ferry are your options.

Ladder23

Established Member
I’m assuming this is the Republic of Ireland. If all else fails rebook with Aer Lingus who accept the following:

• Valid passport or Irish passport card
  • Driver’s licence with photo
  • International student card
  • Government issued photo ID cards
  • Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo
  • Bus pass with photo
  • Work ID with photo.
Thanks so much I've since re booked, appreciate your help

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thanks so much I've since re booked, appreciate your help
Last time I travelled to/from Dublin (with Aer Lingus) it was with a works photo ID card, not a passport.

P.S. Will you get any refund from Ryanair?

Ladder23

Established Member
Last time I travelled to/from Dublin (with Aer Lingus) it was with a works photo ID card, not a passport.

P.S. Will you get any refund from Ryanair?
I'm in dispute at the moment, I believe I need medical reasons to get anywhere, proof of illness/ doctors note etc.

superalbs

Established Member
Ryanair won't take you without a passport so don't consider trying that, as above rebooking with another airline that will accept other ID or going by rail/ferry are your options.
I've done Ryanair without any form of ID check at all, but it is risky because they could refuse you.

Ladder23

Established Member
I've done Ryanair without any form of ID check at all, but it is risky because they could refuse you.
I don't have much luck in life at all, if anything will go wrong it does for me so I can't even consider the chance! For £160 I've re booked and reassured myself anyway.. frustrating I know

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, no possibility of re-booking with Ryanair for an alternative future date for a second visit to Ireland?

Ladder23

Established Member
So, no possibility of re-booking with Ryanair for an alternative future date for a second visit to Ireland?
That's actually good thought.. though depending how far ahead I can look. I'll look into that..

pdq

When I renewed our childrens' passports in 2020, when they were supposedly taking months, ours were despatched within a couple of days. If nothing has changed and you apply online, you may be lucky.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When I renewed our childrens' passports in 2020, when they were supposedly taking months, ours were despatched within a couple of days. If nothing has changed and you apply online, you may be lucky.
As an example of up to date timings, I just did an online renewal within the last few days, applied on Fri 17th, new one arrived in 6 days on Thur 23rd.

superalbs

Established Member
Particularly if they let you travel out but refuse you on the return trip!
Haha then you'd really be stuck lol!

As an aside, does anyone know why Ryanair don't accept standard forms of ID that others do?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As an aside, does anyone know why Ryanair don't accept standard forms of ID that others do?
Because it's Ryanair, and they'd rather have your money and not convey you? Been like this with what ID they will accept, since 2009, I believe. :rolleyes:

On Moderation
Because it's Ryanair, and they'd rather have your money and not convey you? Been like this with what ID they will accept, since 2009, I believe. :rolleyes:
It's a niche case, wanting to fly but not having a passport. Given the vast majority of people who fly have a passport, they really don't need the hassle of accepting other forms of ID.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I sympathise, but leaving the EU has lots of consequences. We voted for it apparently
What's that got to do with Ryanair's unique take on photo ID? Any other airline operating between UK and Ireland would, I believe, accept certain alternative items of photo ID if a passport has expired.

Ken X

I had a similar issue travelling to Jersey regularly. Easyjet wanted a passport. British Airways were happy with a driving licence. Nothing to do with leaving Europe just a different approach to compliance.

Established Member
For anyone who has travelled into Ireland on photo ID, knowing that on arrival at Dublin and Cork airports at least, you go past Gardai and/or Customs, is it hassle free or do they expect a passport?

The vast majority of my UK-ROI travel is with Stena Line, who just ask for photo ID. And I've had at least one occasion of not even being asked for that, at either end. Similarly, I've had full Airport style security checks at Holyhead though you CAN bring liquids through, including alcohol. Followed by Customs drugs dogs scanning us all on arrival, along with ID checks. So it seems to be quite random on Stena Line.

island

Veteran Member
For anyone who has travelled into Ireland on photo ID, knowing that on arrival at Dublin and Cork airports at least, you go past Gardai and/or Customs, is it hassle free or do they expect a passport?
INIS or Gardaí at airports will expect to see a passport, EU National ID, or a different photo ID accompanied by some evidence that the holder is, or is likely to be, a British or Irish citizen eligible to use the CTA arrangement. This might be a British or Irish place of birth on the driving licence, a birth certificate, or something else. It came up on one of the various airport fly-on-the-wall documentaries where someone sought to enter Ireland with only a student card and was held up for some time whilst enquiries were made.

Ferryports tend to be less strict and the land border has only got checks by exception.

As for Ruinair, they just delight in being awkward.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not if you bought a non transferable, non refundable ticket, and have effectively chosen not to travel with them (ie reason is within your control, even if it Ops admin oversight)
Although it’s worth checking if Ryanair have made a significant change to the flight time compared to when you booked it. Don’t know if I’m unlucky but pretty much every flight I’ve booked for this year has had a schedule change made by the airline in between booking the flight and actually travelling, which, if it is significant, would entitle the customer to a fee free refund.

Snow1964

Established Member

Last time I went to Dublin with Ryanair, they used the northern terminal pier, (which is long way), and wasn't fully segregated from other destinations. I am sure there were E gates, but maybe could have looped past them and shown a common travel area boarding card instead

Years since I have been to Cork or Shannon, but flights are relatively infrequent so tends to be a group from one flight then a gap, so probably know which flight you have arrived on, unless you hang around.

island

Veteran Member
Last time I went to Dublin with Ryanair, they used the northern terminal pier, (which is long way), and wasn't fully segregated from other destinations. I am sure there were E gates, but maybe could have looped past them and shown a common travel area boarding card instead
A boarding card will not be accepted on its own to pass passport control, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I sympathise, but leaving the EU has lots of consequences. We voted for it apparently
we have not left the entirely separate Common Travel Area, under the 1952 agreement as modified and reaffirmed several times since (the existence of the CTA stops Ireland joining the EU+beyond Schengen area)

Status
Not open for further replies.