• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Charity Cab Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeTD

As the title states. EMR offering the chance to win a cab ride. All proceeds to charity.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/emr-south-yorkshireman-cab-ride?utm_source=Whatsapp

EMR are offering an exciting once in a lifetime opportunity for one person to experience a cab ride on the South Yorkshireman HST. This is a unique experience to take in the view of the Railway like you have never seen it before. You will be sat next to the Driver and accompanied by a Driver Manager from Sheffield to London St Pancras...

...The chance to win this exciting opportunity will close on Friday 20th March 2020. The winner will be announced on EMR’s social media platforms on Monday 30th March 2020.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lytham Local

VT done something similar back in 2009 that if you upgraded to weekend first then you would be entered into a draw for a cab ride. I don't think it went ahead (if memory from 11 years ago serves me correctly) either the unions or 'elf and safety stopped it from happening.

Nice idea though.

STANDISH

There have been cab prizes on some BLS Charity Tours in recent years, so no reason why this one should not happen.

On Moderation
VT done something similar back in 2009 that if you upgraded to weekend first then you would be entered into a draw for a cab ride. I don't think it went ahead (if memory from 11 years ago serves me correctly) either the unions or 'elf and safety stopped it from happening.

Nice idea though.
Been done before several times on the Midland back in Stagecoach and Midland Mainline days without any fuss or dramas.

gazthomas

Established Member
I did this 7 years ago. I actually got the second placed bid in a blind auction. Joined by a friend as EMT host we took an HST from London St Pancras to Nottingham, then an (?) 158 to Sheffield for a 222 back to the capital. It was a brilliant experience

theking

Reackon this could be quite interesting for an enthusiast or someone who is interested in the railways. Doubt they'll give it to any random driver will probably be a driver instructor and a driver manger who wants to do it.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Did this competition go ahead? And if so will the cab ride be able to be taken during the current social distancing?

train_lover

Aslef have banned 2 people from being in the cab together which has brought training to a halt across the county. I doubt very much that they'll let someone in the cab to do this until the rules on social distancing change!

Established Member
Aslef have banned 2 people from being in the cab together *which has brought training to a halt across the county*.

Haha trust me it really hasn’t.

EDIT: although I agree with you, something like a charity cab ride is unlikely in the current circumstances.

Last edited:

the sniper

Established Member
Haha trust me it really hasn’t.

EDIT: although I agree with you, something like a charity cab ride is unlikely in the current circumstances.

Did we establish in the end how many TOCs have gone on regardless? Surely the majority have stopped?

Class 170101

Established Member
Likely to be a driver manager in charge rather than a normal driver to 'get around' Aslef.

Tomnick

Established Member
Likely to be a driver manager in charge rather than a normal driver to 'get around' Aslef.
It's not at all likely to be a driver manager in charge to 'get around' ASLEF. I doubt any driver manager would put themselves at risk for the sake of a charity cab ride, nor do I think any TOC would even give them the choice, and that's if you can find a driver manager who's got the time to do it anyway.

the sniper

Established Member

In at least some companies, more responsible ones, it isn't just a matter of ASLEF objection. I'd be amazed if a jolly like this went ahead, even in EMR, which I believe is one of the TOCs where there seems to have been a relaxed attitude shown all round.

Established Member
Did we establish in the end how many TOCs have gone on regardless? Surely the majority have stopped?

Not sure. Certainly where I am trainees are still being trained up.

For qualified drivers, training to retain competency (ie safety days and cab ride outs) is permitted as “essential” by ASLEF. Trainees with DIs are a little more controversial since they are not yet qualified drivers but, in the end, it is being left up to the individuals concerned to make their own decisions. As far as I can tell most are choosing to continue as normal.

Apparently it’s the same at my previous TOC.

It's not at all likely to be a driver manager in charge to 'get around' ASLEF. I doubt any driver manager would put themselves at risk for the sake of a charity cab ride, nor do I think any TOC would even give them the choice, and that's if you can find a driver manager who's got the time to do it anyway.

Most likely to be the guest, a DM or DI (ie someone with a green cab pass) and a driver. Unlikely to go ahead at the moment, I’d have thought.

4F89

Pretty sure you would need a manager there as a green cab pass holder to certify the red cab pass of the winner....

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I was fairly certain it wouldn't have gone ahead but interesting as ever to evoke the discussion!

Established Member
Pretty sure you would need a manager there as a green cab pass holder to certify the red cab pass of the winner....

A red cab pass? That’s a new one on me. I assume that’s issued to non railway employees for a one-off cab ride?

Established Member
I suspect, then, that management would see to it that you weren’t on the train!

Drivers for these things tend to be teed-up in advance, and pre-selected to ensure sufficient levels of “friendliness”.

Some are more suitable than others :D

pdeaves

Established Member
There seems to be concern about the number of people in the cab, virus-wise. I would have thought the winner would get their prize when things have calmed down a bit. Is there any indication that the winning ride would be on any particular date? I only see the competition closing date and winner announcement date, neither of which commits to plonking an extra body in the cab with an unwilling driver.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
There seems to be concern about the number of people in the cab, virus-wise. I would have thought the winner would get their prize when things have calmed down a bit. Is there any indication that the winning ride would be on any particular date? I only see the competition closing date and winner announcement date, neither of which commits to plonking an extra body in the cab with an unwilling driver.
I didnt know if the thing had even already happened (pre lockdown)

On Moderation
Drivers for these things tend to be teed-up in advance, and pre-selected to ensure sufficient levels of “friendliness”.

Some are more suitable than others :D
Indeed! The couple of times I’ve had cab rides on the Midland (once under MML, once under EMT), the drivers have been very friendly. If I see them even now when out and about, they’ll still stop for a quick chat.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Indeed! The couple of times I’ve had cab rides on the Midland (once under MML, once under EMT), the drivers have been very friendly. If I see them even now when out and about, they’ll still stop for a quick chat.
In my experience (including buses) its usually the regular few who do the 'special jobs' because of their suitability and interest in doing something different.

Domh245

Established Member

It was originally advertised as an HST cab ride, so that does put an effective end-date on it (although it seems like that date is getting further away) unless the winner is happy with a meridian!

Status
Not open for further replies.