• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
It’s been said a fair few times the plan is for 158s on Liverpool Norwich, potentially in 5 car formations to the West.
How are they going to form 3 car 158s? My understanding is that all the gangway adaptor plates available are in use with GWR.

DDB

If it was that simple, I'm sure it would have happened before now.
I don't think there would have been enough spare 158s until the recent arrivals of the 170s. Also I assume DfT and Rosco permission is required.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think you’re misunderstanding me. I meant for some services this summer to release 158 pairs for Skegness day trippers of a weekend/school holidays
Didn't EMR dislike sending the 158s towards Skegness due to the rubbish luggage space available. At least a 170 has more room in the vestibule areas for oversized suitcases for when Auntie Doris brings her kitchen sink.

WillPS

Established Member
I don't think there would have been enough spare 158s until the recent arrivals of the 170s. Also I assume DfT and Rosco permission is required.
In the early days of the EMT franchise it was considered as a method of getting capacity on to peak Liverpool runs when they were desperately short of stock - at the time they had just one doubled up 158 diagram. At the same time they looked at using Locos + Mk2 stock on Crewe-Derby to free up Sprinters, and they sent a 222 to Norwich (still the only time that's happened I believe?).

None of them transpired for one reason or another, and eventually some very ropey 156s were found to allow the familiar double up/decouple at Nottingham to happen most of the time.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What's happening with 170201-205? I know they're now all with EMR, but I'm yet to see any record of any of them entering service yet. Are they waiting for the vinyl to be put on first?

270-272 are in service in EMR livery, right?

LowLevel

Established Member
What's happening with 170201-205? I know they're now all with EMR, but I'm yet to see any record of any of them entering service yet. Are they waiting for the vinyl to be put on first?

270-272 are in service in EMR livery, right?
Some of them are in traffic.

201 was out yesterday. 204 is on the training/test trip. 205 is being reliveried, otherwise the rest are still white.

The 3 car sets were delayed entering traffic properly as they have various differences to the other sets, not least the totally different door control layout (all other 170s at EMR have door controls in the cabs and all coaches have them each coach too. You can use selective door opening from the cabs and the saloon at any panel as required. The 170/2 3 cars, which are phase 1 units totally different to the phase 2 170/2 2 cars, only have door controls in the cabs and the centre car, and only the centre car is fitted with selective door opening controls).

All of the different subclasses have some detail differences, but the class 170/2 3 car trains are the only phase 1 Turbostars at EMR and are sufficiently different from all the others as to have needed documenting and briefing.

270/1/2 are in traffic in white. 273 is vinyled in purple.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Will EMR at some point standardize them or is that too difficult?

I know EMR services don't have reservations but now you have a lot of different seat layouts depending upon what turns up. (I bit like the 158s when East Midlands Trains was formed). I must admit I am a little out of date on the 170/2 from memory the buffets are gone but can't remember if the 1st class seating remains.

I know it will be low priority but I assume that keeping the 170/2 (3 car sets) on routes where selective door operation is not needed is going to be a bit of a pain. Only gone on the very tired Ex-Scotrail 3 cards, I guess the others are no in such an immediate need to do something with them.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I must admit I am a little out of date on the 170/2 from memory the buffets are gone but can't remember if the 1st class seating remains.
They do but it's different among 2 car and 3 car sets. The former have the same as other Turbostar first class, and the latter have large seats that Greater Anglia installed which match those on the late 317/7.

LowLevel

Established Member
Will EMR at some point standardize them or is that too difficult?

I know EMR services don't have reservations but now you have a lot of different seat layouts depending upon what turns up. (I bit like the 158s when East Midlands Trains was formed). I must admit I am a little out of date on the 170/2 from memory the buffets are gone but can't remember if the 1st class seating remains.

I know it will be low priority but I assume that keeping the 170/2 (3 car sets) on routes where selective door operation is not needed is going to be a bit of a pain. Only gone on the very tired Ex-Scotrail 3 cards, I guess the others are no in such an immediate need to do something with them.
As luck would have it as long as they're not coupled the only diagram to avoid is the one that leaves Nottingham for Skegness at 05, 10, 15 hrs - Havenhouse on the down is the only SDO1 platform EMR serve so anywhere else the platform is either 2 car or will be the same length or longer than the train.

I assume they'll be standardised, having 8 units with different capabilities is a pain. XC did it with their 170/1s about 10 years ago.

LowLevel

Established Member
201, 203 and 204 all out in traffic today on Worksop and Grimsby diagrams.

beano900

A pair of these turned up this afternoon for my usual train (1551 Liverpool to Norwich) instead of the 158’s which was a change - they still need refurbing inside just like the 158s, although they were people on the outside. Apologies, I didn’t get the numbers