• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
How many 170/5s are left in the West Midlands and which ones. I know 505 is one because I saw it today? Anyone have a list at all please?

WesternLancer

Established Member
But presumably still no 170s on the way to anywhere that will internally refurb them?

Is it 3 years ago that we were promised that or 4? Time flies....

At least the ex west mids and Anglia ones are not as grotty as the Scotrail batch.

43102EMR

Established Member
But presumably still no 170s on the way to anywhere that will internally refurb them?

Is it 3 years ago that we were promised that or 4? Time flies....

At least the ex west mids and Anglia ones are not as grotty as the Scotrail batch.
The Southern ones are the nicest of the lot internally from my personal viewpoint - if only the other SR 5 went to them and received the same refurbishment as originally planned before the decision was made to transfer them to EMR…

WesternLancer

Established Member
The Southern ones are the nicest of the lot internally from my personal viewpoint - if only the other SR 5 went to them and received the same refurbishment as originally planned before the decision was made to transfer them to EMR…
Thanks - I'll have to check one out - not been on one since last was on the Uckfield line pre covid. I agree, they were not bad then.

Mugby

Established Member
I notice that the ex-Southern 170s have a number of hopper type ventilators above some of the windows.
Are the just for emergency use if the air-con fails or does the SR stock have a completely different system of heating/ventilation?

170UTD

I notice that the ex-Southern 170s have a number of hopper type ventilators above some of the windows.
Are the just for emergency use if the air-con fails or does the SR stock have a completely different system of heating/ventilation?
I think they can be opened by the guards Key, like on Class 158s

MCR247

Established Member
Just for emergency use. Southern native 171s had them from new. Southern fitted them to the converts during the conversion

newtownmgr

I didn't realise I it was December, I'm sure I've read May before. Ethier way is it just six left to come? I think it might be but I've lost track.
Worcester won’t complete training until October. I think Shrewsbury,Wolves & New St are nearly finished training if not finished as only 30/40 odd drivers at each depot learning them. 77 at Worcester as it stands to learn them with more to come. Shrewsbury & Wolves are smaller depots & only one link at New St learning them i believe.

170UTD

Worcester won’t complete training until October. I think Shrewsbury,Wolves & New St are nearly finished training if not finished as only 30/40 odd drivers at each depot learning them. 77 at Worcester as it stands to learn them with more to come. Shrewsbury & Wolves are smaller depots & only one link at New St learning them i believe.
December it is then. That means the next ones to arrive will be the 3-cars from TfW.

Liam L

I didn't realise I it was December, I'm sure I've read May before. Ethier way is it just six left to come? I think it might be but I've lost track.

I think spring was hoped for the first 196 to be in service in Worcester. Not sure if it still is.

newtownmgr

I think spring was hoped for the first 196 to be in service in Worcester. Not sure if it still is.
Hopefully late March/early April. 6 mainline drivers passed at Worcester plus instructors & depot drivers. Should be 2 a week passing out. Similar amount of guards passed as well. Hoping for about a qtr of the drivers to be trained by the time the first ones go on the Hfds.

43102EMR

Established Member
Hopefully late March/early April. 6 mainline drivers passed at Worcester plus instructors & depot drivers. Should be 2 a week passing out. Similar amount of guards passed as well. Hoping for about a qtr of the drivers to be trained by the time the first ones go on the Hfds.
Which I can imagine will enable 2 of the remaining 6 to move to EMR by May then - though I guess that depends on unit reliability too on the Hereford line.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Thanks for these approximate dates, here is hoping all will go according to plan. Early April is only two months away, which isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. I'm rather looking forward to the 196s on my local line!

Liam L

Thanks for these approximate dates, here is hoping all will go according to plan. Early April is only two months away, which isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. I'm rather looking forward to the 196s on my local line!

Be nice to see the 172s back on snow hill lines and the longer train lengths which will come with it.

Obviously the 196s as seen so far will be an improvement on both stock which are currently still running on the Hereford line.

Liam L

170502 will move from WMT to EMR on Saturday 11/02/23 last one for a while

So 5 remaining till December.

I’d imagine it will be 2 (in a pair) on the all day Hereford diagram
1 (with a 172) on the peak if thats still a thing?

Two spares for cover incase the 196 sets break and need to replaced during the day?

Pippy1505

So 5 remaining till December.

I’d imagine it will be 2 (in a pair) on the all day Hereford diagram
1 (with a 172) on the peak if thats still a thing?

Two spares for cover incase the 196 sets break and need to replaced during the day?
2 more to move before start of Summer timetable leaving WMT with 3