• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
I wouldn't describe the 700 as leaving a 360 for dead. It is slightly faster but only by a few seconds from a standing start to 2 or 3 miles. That's all. Put a 2+8 HST beside, or an older generation electric such as Class 317, 319, 321 etc, and then you see how the newer electrics leave those for dead.
Ok. I did think the 700 was just under 2 minutes to 100 vs 2 min 30 for the 360.
Am I right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
When the Class 360s entered service, did they change the seat covers or are they're the ones from Greater Anglia?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When the Class 360s entered service, did they change the seat covers or are they're the ones from Greater Anglia?
Still currently the GA ones - some in better condition than others!

43102EMR

Established Member
Still currently the GA ones - some in better condition than others!
Some still in FGE moquette I may add…

Any sneak peaks into 121 at Eastleigh? I can imagine there’s been at least some progress on its refurbishment since it moved…

D_MTrains

When going past Northampton EMUD earlier, I could see a 57 with a purple livery 360 just coming out. Any idea which unit that would have been? I speculated it’s 102 as I saw 112 the other day and can’t assume they would livery another one before refurbishment.

DBS92042

Established Member
When going past Northampton EMUD earlier, I could see a 57 with a purple livery 360 just coming out. Any idea which unit that would have been? I speculated it’s 102 as I saw 112 the other day and can’t assume they would livery another one before refurbishment.
47727 & 360102

Aictos

Established Member
Some still in FGE moquette I may add…

Any sneak peaks into 121 at Eastleigh? I can imagine there’s been at least some progress on its refurbishment since it moved…
Heard less then 10 days before it's back from Eastleigh, been told the date but it's subject to change.

43102EMR

Established Member
Does anyone know if any more 360s have been repainted into EMR livery other than 360 102 and 360 112?
102 and 112 have been vinyled not painted - seems as though 121 will be out soon so that will be the first one to be done.

43102EMR

Established Member
Ok, but i saw some flickr pictures that showed them two carrying new livery+vinyls and i saw a picture in a recent Todays Railways issue.
Much appreciated.
They were reliveried solely for the EMR Connect launch, hence they had a quick vinyl job whilst undergoing maintenance at Northampton. 102 and 112 will also be repainted/refurbished eventually, although I can imagine this will be after the remaining 19 are done (similar to the TfW 175 refurb)

Ilovetrains43

On Moderation
They were reliveried solely for the EMR Connect launch, hence they had a quick vinyl job whilst undergoing maintenance at Northampton. 102 and 112 will also be repainted/refurbished eventually, although I can imagine this will be after the remaining 19 are done (similar to the TfW 175 refurb)
Ok, thanks for the info.

Established Member
Hope they don't send any more units away. I think EMR need them.

Arrived at St Pancras at 1240 for the 1305 to Nottingham and noticed no 360 in platform 1 and no 1245 to Corby on the screens. The next 360 arrived for the 1315 and looked like they were going to split it for a delayed 1245 and 1315 departures but by the time my train had left at 1310 this was still taking place. RTT shows it left as one set at 1322 and terminated at Bedford and the 1245 never ran.

43102EMR

Established Member
Hope they don't send any more units away. I think EMR need them.

Arrived at St Pancras at 1240 for the 1305 to Nottingham and noticed no 360 in platform 1 and no 1245 to Corby on the screens. The next 360 arrived for the 1315 and looked like they were going to split it for a delayed 1245 and 1315 departures but by the time my train had left at 1310 this was still taking place. RTT shows it left as one set at 1322 and terminated at Bedford and the 1245 never ran.
I think some of it is to do with the pingdemic no? Otherwise goes back to an earlier point I made of EMR needing to have given them some TLC prior to entering service…

Established Member
I think some of it is to do with the pingdemic no? Otherwise goes back to an earlier point I made of EMR needing to have given them some TLC prior to entering service…
Think it is more to do with needing TLC as the only full cancellations yesterday were to do with 'problem with the train'. Think it is more the Regional side being affected by train crew problems quite a few cancelations on the Skegness route today.

Aictos

Established Member
I think some of it is to do with the pingdemic no? Otherwise goes back to an earlier point I made of Siemens needing to have given them some TLC prior to entering service…
Corrected that for you as it's Siemens who are responsible for the maintenance of the Class 360s, EMR have nothing to do with the maintenance.

MML

I'm surprised stock availability has been such an issue. The Corby service was intended to be an 8-car with 12-car during the Peak. The current service is a combination of 4 and 8-car formations, so spare stock should be available. One wonders whether the spare stock is stable unserviceable or whether some is not being used to minimise lease costs as ridership is low.

43102EMR

Established Member
I'm surprised stock availability has been such an issue. The Corby service was intended to be an 8-car with 12-car during the Peak. The current service is a combination of 4 and 8-car formations, so spare stock should be available. One wonders whether the spare stock is stable unserviceable or whether some is not being used to minimise lease costs as ridership is low.
A lot of the 360s have sat at Cricklewood doing nothing since they transferred from Greater Anglia - you can tell the ones that have hardly been used from the fact that they’re without the EMR Connect branding, saying that however they have started to make an appearance on Connect services recently…

Class 170101

Established Member

As being discussed some are away at Eastleigh and some off route at Northampton evern if Covid wasn't an issue I doubt 12 car operation would be possible right now.

On Moderation
One wonders whether the spare stock is stable unserviceable or whether some is not being used to minimise lease costs as ridership is low.
Not using the stock doesn’t save anything on leasing - they are paying the lease regardless. There’s maintenance savings, but offset by other units being used more.

As being discussed some are away at Eastleigh and some off route at Northampton evern if Covid wasn't an issue I doubt 12 car operation would be possible right now.
12 car operation isn't possible because the RMT has instructed their members to refuse to work them if they are diagrammed as such. So the only chance of them running is on Sundays when they aren't worked by RMT guards, but so far the passenger numbers don't justify it.

MML

Does that union never not complain?
What are they complaining about now?
Presumably they are objecting on alleged safe grounds?
Or will the safety be miraculously improved if their members get a bonus for operating a 12-car unit?

Class360/1

Does that union never not complain?
What are they complaining about now?
Presumably they are objecting on alleged safe grounds?
Or will the safety be miraculously improved if their members get a bonus for operating a 12-car unit?
Yeah they’re complaining on ‘safe grounds’

Spartacus

Established Member
I really don’t get this one, and fail to see how RMT members can quite happily drive 3x321 or 3x365 as a DOO service, yet 3x360 is too dangerous with a guard.
I’m curious about the procedure if say the smoke alarm goes off in one of the unmanned units?

Class360/1

I really don’t get this one, and fail to see how RMT members can quite happily drive 3x321 or 3x365 as a DOO service, yet 3x360 is too dangerous with a guard.
Yeah, and in their days at anglia you would have DOO 12 car 360’s and 321’s

I’m curious about the procedure if say the smoke alarm goes off in one of the unmanned units?
That would very much depend where it happens. If it's a problem that causes the train to come to a halt and it's traveling on the Up Fast, there are inevitably large parts of the route where it can't be investigated until there is a line block to allow the guard and/or driver to go onto the track and move to the affected unit. That's the crux of the issue, but it's a risk that is accepted on many other parts of the non EMR network without question.