• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I really don’t get this one, and fail to see how RMT members can quite happily drive 3x321 or 3x365 as a DOO service, yet 3x360 is too dangerous with a guard.

To be fair, RMT members aren’t driving them, and the drivers aren’t complaining.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
I’m curious about the procedure if say the smoke alarm goes off in one of the unmanned units?
You mean in the loos? Many years back I was on a late evening departure and two women lit up cigarettes in the carriage (drunk) and nothing went off. My station was the next one and when the doors opened the smoke dispersed.

Aictos

Established Member
Ah, okay. So it's guards refusing to work them?

I'd say this possibly isn't the wisest move, as London - Corby does seem like the kind of operation where a DOO scheme could be quite viable.
Or DOO to Bedford then Driver/Guard to Corby as Bedford is the furthest north on the MML you can go in the former NSE area.

Not that I'm advocating even more DOO but as a RMT member indirectly involved, I don't see the sense in this conflict at all.

Energy

Established Member
Ah, okay. So it's guards refusing to work them?

I'd say this possibly isn't the wisest move, as London - Corby does seem like the kind of operation where a DOO scheme could be quite viable.
I think it might be a case of 1 guard or no guard, on this route I think the DfT will be quite happy for it to move to DOO.

Fincra5

Established Member
A lot of the 360s have sat at Cricklewood doing nothing since they transferred from Greater Anglia - you can tell the ones that have hardly been used from the fact that they’re without the EMR Connect branding, saying that however they have started to make an appearance on Connect services recently…
Barely! I've been doing sessions at Cricklewood and most weekdays there's no EMR there at all!

Established Member
A lot of the 360s have sat at Cricklewood doing nothing since they transferred from Greater Anglia - you can tell the ones that have hardly been used from the fact that they’re without the EMR Connect branding, saying that however they have started to make an appearance on Connect services recently…
The only spare 360 I noticed on Friday was at Kettering and that was a 4 car unit. Didn't see any at Bedford or Cricklewood.

On Moderation
Not really. Isn’t it some agreement with ASLEF & hence why there’s been no expansion for many years?
Agreements can be changed. And history shows that the drivers are happy to take the 30 pieces of silver in exchange for DOO work.

43102EMR

Established Member
360114’s the next unit to be dragged to Eastleigh tomorrow, 121 most likely to move back next week rather than this week.

Class 170101

Established Member
Chances of getting DOO extended north of Bedford are slim to zero really.

That’s a big statement!

Not really. Isn’t it some agreement with ASLEF & hence why there’s been no expansion for many years?

North London, West London Lines now DOO, thats only been the case in recent years. I'm actually surprised the Class 360 services weren't introduced as DOO from the start.

Fincra5

Established Member
That’s a big statement!
I'd say its fair, until 360s emerge with DOO Equipment ;) :lol:

North London, West London Lines now DOO, thats only been the case in recent years. I'm actually surprised the Class 360 services weren't introduced as DOO from the start.
I'm not... there's no DOO Equipment North of Bedford, and nothing really now South of Bedford, since its all in-cab on 700s...

MML

There is a class 360 in Cricklewood sidings with a class 37 adjacent. Is this in preparation for a drag to Eastleigh or a different maintenance movement across to Northampton?

43102EMR

Established Member
There is a class 360 in Cricklewood sidings with a class 37 adjacent. Is this in preparation for a drag to Eastleigh or a different maintenance movement across to Northampton?
If it’s 360114 then yes - expected to move tomorrow morning to Eastleigh.

dk1

Veteran Member
Any route extensions are very unlikely in the short to medium term in my opinion.

Aictos

Established Member
I'd say its fair, until 360s emerge with DOO Equipment ;) :lol:

The Class 360s are already fitted with DOO equipment tho eg the driver can release the doors and close them from their cab as well as the ability for the guard to do this too, just because they don't have DOO cameras doesn't mean they haven't been fitted with DOO equipment.

Just thought I point that one out ;)

So where are they all?

Umm they do stable them at Caudwell and you can't really see the yard from a passing train on the MML, usually only about 4 a night there being stabled, deep cleaned or under going maintenance.

dk1

Veteran Member
That was the agreement ASLEF promptly ‘forgot’ about with Southern!
Yes but wasn’t the route already cleared for that operation with Thameslink? The agreement from what I understood was for no further route extension of DOO.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yes but wasn’t the route already cleared for that operation with Thameslink? The agreement from what I understood was for no further route extension of DOO.

the whole of the SWR network will become DOO soon (when the Desiros and sprinters are replaced), with someone onboard for customer service duties, when DOO stock becomes available sadly the new method of work will continue to spread across the country.

but anyway, these 360s, hopefully they’ll look nice both inside and out.

dk1

Veteran Member
the whole of the SWR network will become DOO soon (when the Desiros and sprinters are replaced), with someone onboard for customer service duties, when DOO stock becomes available sadly the new method of work will continue to spread across the country.

but anyway, these 360s, hopefully they’ll look nice both inside and out.
Here in East Anglia we have an entirely new Stadler train fleet where as drivers we open & close the doors. No extension of DOO whatsoever & every route that had a guard before they where introduced has to have a guard onboard now else the train cannot run.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Here in East Anglia we have an entirely new Stadler train fleet where as drivers we open & close the doors. No extension of DOO whatsoever & every route that had a guard before they where introduced has to have a guard onboard now else the train cannot run.

Technically the same agreement applies to SWR, but there will be no dispatch competency retained.

We really need to get back on topic before the moderators tell us off!

dk1

Veteran Member
Technically the same agreement applies to SWR, but there will be no dispatch competency retained.

We really need to get back on topic before the moderators tell us off!
Good point lol. Will be nice to see the first refurbished example. There, that should excuse us haha.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The main line was, but not all the branches.